I stopped working as an agent commercial a couple of years ago and registered as an auto entrepreneur at the same time as changing departments. 

I thought that, through the URSAAF, health cover and pension was paid through my cotisations.

It turns out that I am still registered with the RSI in my old department for health cover, but they are now refusing to pay, as I haven't lived there for over a year.

I had my bag stolen earlier this year so no longer have a carte vitale.

I am moving again in a month's time. I've had such bad experiences with the RSI (the usual overcharging etc) that I am loathe to contact the RSI in my current department as I have nightmares about them sending me massive bills I can't/shouldn't pay.

I'll be travelling back and forth between France and the UK, so need some sort of cover for me and my son. Would an EHIC suffice?

Views: 813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul just took a look at 'Exclusive Healthcare' they seem very reasonable and flexible to an individuals needs - has any of your friends used there cover and did they find it okay?  thank you for the link.

Hi Elaine, I have my annual "mutuelle" policy with them and no complaints. UK staff and UK helpline to explain system here. Friends from the UK did buy the EHIC top up and made a claim for some treatment they needed - paid out without a problem.

thanks paul -)

Dear Paul, can you tell me more about Exclusive Healthcare, have you an e-mail address or telephone number for them.Regards Sandra Adams 

Hi Sandra, they can be found at www.exclusivehealthcare.com or can be called on 04 94 40 31 45

Thanks for all the useful info in your replies. I'd rather try to get a replacement for my carte vitale, seeing as I have paid my cotisations. I think they pay up to a year after you finish working, so it should cover me until next year. 

You get the EHIC from the country where you live. The NHS EHIC is only available to UK residents. You will need to pay some up front costs if you have treatment in France, but they can be reclaimed (if the treatment would have been covered by the NHS) from DWP when back in the UK. They will send a claim pack to your UK address. They won't guarantee anything in advance, but say they "normally refund the full cost". If you live in France and are registered, presumably it's CPAM, or whichever other plan applies, who will issue the EHIC.

Thanks Kevin. It doesn't really help that I don't know where I'm going to be and for how long yet. So I oculd be in the UK for three months and then back here permanently. 

Dear Liz

Every person has different circumstances to resolve but you could get some help by contacting www.amariz.fr. For 20 years this company has been providing people who live in France with an insurance that reimburses their medical bills in accordance with the "base de remboursement". The site is bilingual as are the staff and they insure a good number of expatriates. The insurance cover is provided by Lloyd's of London.

I hope that this information will help you.

Best wishes

Ian Swan


© 2016   Created by James Higginson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service