I have a number of quite decent pallets that have been stored outside since 2008, they are sturdy, the ones used to deliver concrete blocks rather than the lightweight type.
They''ve taken on a nice patina of age and yesterday I used a few of them to make a table.
You should be able to pick up pallets at your local tip or 'decheterie'. If you decide to have a go, please post your projects on SFN as a blog post, or just here in the comments below!
Here's how I did it;
The raw materials, I actually used three in the end.
First I cut the pallets using a table saw, this isn't strictly necessary, you can disassemble them with a hammer and bolster.
Then I tried removing the nails with a claw hammer, this was useless as most of the rusty heads stripped off and I was left with just the body of the nail still intact.
It was much easier and faster to cut them off with an angle grinder. There are loads of them!
I ran everything through the table saw to trim the edges so that all the boards were exactly the same width, again this step could be skipped if you don't have a table saw. This is the timber I was left with from two pallets, I had to do a third in the end as I was making it up as I went along. I had no initial design, I wanted to have a look at what I had to work with before making and style decisions.
I made a rough sketch primarily so I had some dimensions to work with that would suit the size of the timber I had available and assembled the frame.
Still not decided on how the legs would look, I screwed some on anyway to make working on the table top easier. I've added an inner frame 20mm lower which will hold the boards in place for the top. I was initially intending to place the boards across the table, that would have been easier as they would all have been the same length. I decided they would look better long ways though, so I added a couple of supports.
Then I began gluing and nailing the boards to the inner frame and lateral supports, some screwed from beneath too.
I cut the center ones thinner, so I wasn't left with really narrow strip on one side.
I gave the top a quick sand with 120 grit paper, not too much though as I wanted to retain the patina and gave the whole thing two coats of V33 Aquastop. Done!
Handful of screws and nails, about a fiver!
Add a Comment