A little advice needed

Hi, I’m new on here. I’ve been with you on facebook for a while but new to ‘the full experience’!
I am looking for a little advice on buying a used car here. For those of you that don’t know, I am in the middle of a divorce from my long time husband. I am just about managing to keep my head above water but it’s not easy with 6 kiddies and no income except CAF and pension allimontiare.
My ‘old faithful’ is about to cost me more in repairs to get her through her CT than she is worth (Although to me she is worth so much!). Having seeked advice from my AS I think I will be able to get a small loan to buy another car, although this is yet to be confirmed. I have NEVER had debt of any kind and am utterly terrifed! But, I live in the middle of nowhere and need a car, so I will just have to suck it up!
What I’m really after is advice on where? who? …everything! I’m terrified of getting burned. Buying a donkey etc! I don’t have the money to make a mistake! Or should I throw the money at getting my beloved ‘Big Blue’ Evasion back on the road?
Any advice is welcome. Many thanks ~Vicky

3 Likes

Where do you live?
I have a car for a low price.
Big saloon skoda.
Needs to be registered in france.

My advice is buy a car with the lowest kms you can afford :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Joan,
I’m in the Charente (dept16) In a little village called St.Romain (16210). It sounds interesting? Not sure yet If I can get the loan though. I know that it’s quite expensive to import having already done that with ‘Big Blue’. How much are you thinking?
Many thanks

Thanks James. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Apart from changing the headlights and getting a CoC, it doesn’t cost any more than re-registering a french vehicle. Of course, the downside is it’s right hand drive

1 Like

Newer vehicles don’t need a CoC apparently

1 Like

Apparently, and that was what I thought, but I still needed one for my Land rover as the “type” line was incomplete according to the prefecture. €220 later…

1 Like

What year is it?

1 Like

Is that the car that was described as a wonky Skoda recently?

1 Like

Hello,
I am in department 74.
Dont worry about getting a loan, just find out what it would cost you to transfer title and to pick up the car.
I don’t really need any money, just need to get rid of it. I don’t know how to do this so the burden would all be yours.
Good luck.

Joan E. Fry

3 Likes

Think it is the wonky one. Skoda jokes anyone?:sweat_smile:

1 Like

@vicky please be careful.

1 Like

Hi all,
I know the CoC are a must…Cost me a fortune with ‘Big Blue’ but doable. Thank you so much! So…Wonky? What are we talking about here? I just feel so vulnerable! And honestly, a little bit pathetic!!! I do NOT do weak. That’s a different thing!! I am too long in the tooth for that. I need brutality and guidence. The rest I can deal with.

Vicky, I wouldn’t touch the “wonky” Skoda (her description) with a bargepole, cheap/free as it may be. It isn’t easy or cheap buying 2nd hand cars in france, but at a dealer you would get a warranty. www.autoscout.fr can be useful too
Good luck

2 Likes

You will probably need a CoC… depending on the V5 and your Prefecture…

We dealt with Perigueux in 2015… registering a 2012 UK Peugeot…

We DID need a CoC even for such a modern car. When I pointed out the V5 clearly showed the necessary "e"number…the lady still demanded a CoC… Fortunately I had bought one through the UK Garage at the same time as the car purchase…so could hand it over.

However, I chatted, saying I thought they could simply tap in the "e"number and it would bring up all the info…Oh no…the computer is not that modern…some places yes, but not in Perigueux. :confused:

That poor lady then had to go off and find a magnifier as the print on the CoC was so tiny…we shared a smile… :wink: and all was well…

2 Likes

Joan

If the car has really got to go… why not sell it to your local scrapyard… take the V5 and perhaps a photo…if not the car itself… discuss with them…nothing to lose. You might gain a few euro and they will do the necessary paperwork with the Prefecture…as it will be destroyed not resold.

You might need to give it to them for free… but as you want rid of the car…it might be an idea…no beaucracy… no stress :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks Mark. I think I agree. I need a reliable car. Not more problems! :slight_smile:

Thanks Simon. I’m really trying!!! :cold_sweat:

Three thoughts:

“Big Blue” is a known quantity, another used car is not. You may end up with a car that runs forever, or you may incur more repair costs in a years time. So the question about your current car is will the repairs you have mentioned sort it out for the foreseeable future, or is it liable to just keep costing for more repairs. If you have a reliable mechanic looking after it they should answer that for you. If it’s the former then I’d consider the repairs. It’s the devil you know.

If it is a new car situation I understand it may not be practical for you, but a great many people we know take a trip to the UK to buy their secondhand cars. Generally easier to get quality cars at reasonable prices. If it’s not an old model the COC is normally in place nowadays.

My other suggestion is that you find someone who feels confident kicking tyres and checking wheel bearings who is willing to go look at cars with you. Charming though most sellers of used cars probably are, it’s best not to have to rely on their judgment of the car! I’d offer, but we live outside another St Romain in the Vienne (86) so while not too far we’re not next door.

1 Like