Accessing English TV without a satellite dish as shown on you tube

On Orange, the movies to download are in VO - version originale - English or American and are up to date. On M6 a lot of the UK and American series can be heard in the original soundtrack.

Been looking into this as an alternative to satellite, as for the second time in the last year the wind has disabled the dish. We get 9mb in the room with the router but barely 3mb in the tv room. Do you think a plug in wifi booster/extender would give us enough mbs to get a decent result? I notice tvaway recommend using an Ethernet connection but itā€™s not a viable option for us.

Hi Chris - your minimum 3MB should really be fine - try it out first and, if itā€™s not enough, then I guess a wifi booster may help. I use my MAG250 box with a wifi dongle to attach to my home internet - no probs at all.

Thanks Simon. I think I might buy a booster first just to see what improvement it makes to the signal strength in that room. Might not be a clever idea to buy the mag box only to discover Iā€™m getting a poor result. In the meantime itā€™s Filmon via laptopā€¦

I would say that 3mb will be ok for standard definition. At a pinch you may get away away with it but for true 1080p High definition you will definitely need more. Personally I use a droidbox and get excellent results. I use smartdns to get round the country restrictions which costs 36 euros a year. Everything else is free and easy to use.Support is good too! Gives me access to iplayer, itv hub, movies, sports,sky and loads more. Droidboxes are uk manufactured and the ones that everyone else tries to copy. The build quality is evident as soon you take it out the box.

Hi there
On the tv topic, does anyone gave any experience of ExpatVision through their box? Looks enticing as all of the Sky Sports and film channels included in their top offer.
Thanks
Phillip

I just love http://www.tvaway.co , been using it for some time now, no probs, excellent customer service!

I tend to agree Rik. Most of the info I can find puts HD in the 5mb range plus I donā€™t want to make an expensive mistake. I really would like an alternative to satellite though as I canā€™t think of a way to stop the wind blowing!

You know what - Iā€™m almost nervous to mention it butā€¦to be honest I donā€™t see a huge difference between SD and HD.

I have a pretty new Samsung HD / 3D Smart TV and have just been flicking between SD and HD before I posted this (just to double check!) and - ok HD is marginally sharper and perhaps a bit brighter. However, Iā€™m pretty sure that if I walked into a room and someone asked me if the TV picture was in SD or HD I wouldnā€™t be able to tell. In my view itā€™s all a bit ā€˜Emperors New Clothesā€™ā€¦ or is it just me? :slight_smile:

Maybe itā€™s something that ā€˜mattersā€™ at the very top end of the TV viewing market but personally it makes zilch difference to my viewing experience.

I am using an ā€˜oldā€™ non HD flat screen TV at the moment because my newer HD TV is broken. I noticed the difference at first but after a very short while I presumably got used to it as I donā€™t think twice about the picture quality any more.

I bought a new Panasonic a couple of months ago and I definitely see a difference between SD/HD. Motion and sharpness are quite noticeably better.
Whether it matters or not is debatable, but if youā€™ve paid for something its capable of, you might as well enjoy itšŸ™‚