Alternative Energy Solar - Wind?

Apologies if this is a re post of an old topic.
We are looking into options for installing some sort of alternative power installation in our home, with the most likely option being solar.
Can I ask about people’s current experience on this? I have done a search on the site, and many of the posts are older, and of course, technology moves on.
I spoke to a company 5 plus years ago, but didn’t follow it through.
I would appreciate any input or info from SFN members who have had experiences they would like to share, both good and bad.
Thanks

Tesla are now producing solar tiles for roofs. These are not the same as panels.
The main problem is, of course, storage, but I understand that you will no longer have to sell any energy you generate direct to the grid, but can use it for yourselves.
We have solar panels for heating water and three 90 metre wells for geothermal power.
We need to replace our roof so will be investigating the Tesla roof tiles, depending upon the outcome of the Brexit talks!

1 Like

When my house was built we had geothermic and wind generator system installed as backup complete with 20 batteries and 2 kW inverter. although the geothermic system turned out to be a great investment I can’t say the same for the wind generator which didn’t provide the power due to lack of wind and subsequently failed, we lost €20k due the windmill being destroyed by high winds and court case, when the company, France Eolienne, went bust. I wouldn’t advise anyone to go for the wind system. Go solar if you can, present systems though only supply to the grid but I believe EDF give rebate on your bills. A friend of mine installed his own system to provide himself with electricity but not enough to run the house.

Hi - The Tesla tiles are already on our radar, and it is interesting what you say about no longer having to sell the energy back to the grid…That was the situation when I first spoke to a supplier of panels around 7 years ago.

Interesting that you, like us thing that the main system involves selling back to the grid…
Thanks for the info regarding the wind system too.

Yes that was 10 years ago, things may have changed since then. Back in 2007 installing solar electricity systems by a professional involved a contract to sell to the grid.

Imerys do a “Tuile thermique terre cuite” for hot water and photovoltaïque for electricity. www.imerys-toiture.com

1 Like

Jane what as Brexit got to do with installing solar tiles?

1 Like

Michael, should we not get our present healthcare support, we may need to downsize or even return to UK.
It is a question of further investment when we are uncertain of our future.

I really think that you should see what PUMA can offer you before you go much further.

We are here on an S1 . Our accountant says that should healthcare negotiations fail, we would have to use our business via the RSI.
I have enough problems already without having to deal with an organisation which reduces its users to march through Paris because of their total inefficiency and incompetence.

1 Like

Yes, why would you want to deal with an organisation that could provide you with free healthcare after Brexit?

Macron has plans for the RSI :slight_smile:

We had solar panels installed last year. You use all the electricity you produce and any excess goes to the grid and you do not receive a penny for it as EDF do not buy electricity anymore. The way forward is to have batteries to store any unused electricity for use later on.

Hooray - back on topic!
Talk about digression!
Interesting what you say Maureen Horswell - When I looked into it a few years back, there was a convoluted system where for a 30 day period once a year the client (us) had to invoice EDF for the amount they owed (us) - The fact that they were unable to deduct it from your consumer bill staggered me, and now I see they get around it by not buying it at all!
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

But you do get credited for the amount you put back into the grid I believe. Offset against EDF supplied power on a 1 for 1 basis.
Batteries would only be needed if you are totally off-grid.

Or you can use the Tesla Batteries to store the power until you need it,

Tesla Powerwall

for pricing etc

Following this thread with great interest as I can’t work out how to benefit from a solar installation - Tesla offer a 10 yr warranty on a battery+inverter costing about 9000 euros installed, with extra cost for panels ( maybe 8000 euros? ) although prices have dropped lately.
Our Seolis bill is just over 1500 euros a year.
Since most of our energy consumption is for space heating and hot water, I am going all out this year installing solar heating panels, both flat panel and evacuated cylinder type . My only problem is how to avoid mounting them on the roof ( thus avoiding permits etc!)
Does anyone have a link to some upto date figures on payback times etc?

Unless you are situated in an architecturally sensitive area the necessary paperwork is not going to be a problem. You can ground mount but a higher position (on a roof) is going to be better in terms of potential shading issues, damge, or theft.