Are the strikes affecting you?

By the way do you send out a contract? Suppose you do.

Is it in French and translated by a French Lawyer?

A UK Statutory Instrument is not at all the same thing. An S.I. is created under a specific Act containing the words 'the Minister may make Regulations....' and therefore the issuance of that S.I. has in fact already been pre-authorised by Parliament through the usual democratic process. When the Act under the provisions of which the S.I. is subsequently issued is initially debated, it is that debate and subsequent vote which determines if the Minister may make regulations or not, and if so, then in what context and for what purpose. The use of 49.3 has simply done away with all that parliamentary debate and decision, and is a completely different kettle of fish to a Statutory Instrument.

I was in Lyon on Tuesday and the large Carrefour at Ecully had shut the petrol station but I was able to fill up at a Leclerc on the way home. A local Facebook group has information on which local petrol stations have supplies or not.

Can only help thinking that things will get worse before they get better. What's the least risky plan to get back to UK in early July, plane or car ?

In our area Bordeaux/ Libourne there does not seem to be a problem with fuel and I drive about 500 km a week, so I am keeping my eye on it. The only issue is that the pump price has gone up 10 - 15 cents per litre, now generally about 1,15 € a litre for diesel, with the exception of a garage on the Bordeaux rocade where it is 1,25 € now. Looks to me that it is the major tourist areas and routes that have been hit hardest, just in time for next week's UK half term.

Flights do not seem to be too much of a problem on strike days, not like when the strikes first started when everything was cancelled. BA seem to carry on as normal, and Easyjet cancel a few but there are delays. Ryanair seem to be the most cautious, but having travelled a few times on strike days, I have always got there and back. I can only speak for Bordeaux so sorry to anyone who has had the misfortune to have their flight cancelled.

That is true Jane!

That is true Jane!

We were in London the other week and rarely met any Brits working in shops, hotels or restaurants. We chatted to a few french ladies and their comment was essentially, they are treated better in the UK, are given more responsibility at an earlier age and London is fun.

One comment hit me though. She said she shared a flat with her boyfriend, they pay 50% of their "net I assume" income for the rent and they are off on a holiday to the Far East in the summer (i.e. not cheap!) Anyone feel I would meet a young Brit in London with the same attitude or would I meet some young Brit complaining about how expensive London is and about the shortage of "affordable housing"?

When we first got married in 1962 and lived in a flat in Muswell Hill, we knew we could not afford a place in London so moved to Tonbridge and struggled. No doubt we "old farts" can all tell the same story.

In my experience of French people, they are totally supine to any authority figure. In my last village I tried to organise a protest about the speed trucks went thru the village. As one neighbour said, it is only the English (read Brits) who would do this.

La Chataigneraie (85). 1445 hrs Friday 27th May. Super U supermarket had fuel of all types without restriction of quantity. No queue at all.

Barbara, our contract is in English, as that is the language that the majority of our clients speak. We have mainly Dutch, Belgian and Germans as well as English, Australians, Canadians etc.

Barbara, you are right, if they choose not to come then it is up to them, but there could be illness etc. to contend with.

Robert, can you tell me why we had to try and call on MP's to get the ending of the WFP debated in the House then. Was the WFP actually created in an Act? All I know is that there was nothing done to stop the removal of our benefit, which was illegal in that the government was not treating its citizens equally.

Who set up 49.3 in the first place? However these means are set up, it appears that the end result is the same.

Peter, all our neighbours complain over the dinner table but agree that they are not likely to get off their butts to do anything themselves.

So what do you do?
You are operating a buisness and need the revenue to continue providing

the service which you give.

WHAT does the client's travel insurance cover them for?

Hopefully the client's listien when we tell them to purchase travel insurance!

Jane

You know me and that I am ultra cautious over legal affairs and I may be misinterpreting what you have written, but in my opinion your contract should be written in French and subject to the French legal system with translations into Englush etc., since if there is ever a dispute it should be clear which legal jurisdiction applies to the contract.

I apologise if "I am teaching granny to ... etc" but just a thought.

Well according to my insurer AXA.....

The contract should be written by/translated by a French Lawyer.

Not for the understanding of requirements therein.....but to stand up in law if we

were challenged/sued.

But....of course the creating of such a contract would be very exspensive and not

something many of the pospective clients would comprehend.

I am insured but.....not 100% sure of my cover.....Not for loss of earnings!

Sadly, my experience of French unions is very similar to yours. They fight for big groups, but individuals or small groups have to fight for themselves. We have been thrown to the lions at one place I work, and the CFDT and CGT have done a bit of hand wringing, but nothing helpful. But I don't want to see the same situation as in the UK, here in France.