Art & Design

I thought it was nearly impossible to get into art colleges here,but good for you if you manage.We must never stop learning.I go to workshops unforunately the best ones are in the states,quite a distance to go.DVDs are ok but can't beat being there in person. This year is turning out very dismal.

Thanks Suzy, glad you like it. I've done a few things but am now looking for new projects. I'm also planning to try and go back to college here in France next year, at one of the larger arts institutes for a graphics diploma/degree. Like I said to my friend last week, the plan is to die a student eventually :) not a brilliant year but slightly better than last year, possibly. how about you?

Excellent work Jo,I especially like the Muu logo.You've had a good year then?

Hello peeps. I've been busy teaching myself all things graphicy and webby

feedback appreciated :)

http://grabart.prosite.com/

Hi Pamela, like the work very much. I did some linocuts many years ago and would like to try woodcuts but I have just booked up to go back to the UK.

I am engaged on designing some wine labels for St. Mont which would be ideally suited to woodcut illustrations - one is of the head of a wild boar and the other the head of a red kite. Will keep you posted.

Hi all, anyone interested in taking a woodblock printing course? Feel free to ask any questions.

Exhibition runs from now until the 3rd of August..

Set up my paintings expo in the Tourist Office in Laruns at the weekend.

www.ossau-pyrenees.com/

Couple of new mountain paintings.

Hi Anne, I joined about 5 years ago and received one form to fill in giving my income for the year and haven't heard from them since. The main advantage is that I have a document with a number and an official stamp on it which obviously is a great thing to have here in France! I have been invited to take part in several group exhibitions and this document has enabled me to do so. What other advantages there are to belonging to the organisation, I have no idea.

Maybe we should set up a monthly theme challenge?

Haven't been either Liz but would like to. Always thought that he comes from the illustration side of painting - 30's style pulp fiction book covers, and that though he creates atmosphere, his figure painting isn't very good. Have been to Monets' garden along with a thousand Japanese tourists a few years ago. Wow! those paintings are seriously big!

That was a comment by the way to Neil, sorry Liz not been to the Edward Hopper exhibit.

Well its a bit different....

Has anyone been to the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Grand Palais in Paris? My 14 yr old son is keen to go and as we will be in Paris next weekend we thought we would go. Any other exhibits or museums worth a visit? The Musee d`Orsy and the Orangerie go with out saying. Just love Monets huge paintings in the Orangerie!

Any suggestions welcome!

There could be a circular theme here, Susan.

Thanks for the info Neil. Every bit of input helps! Your autumn leaves cards are beautiful, by the way!

Sab, prices always a perrenial problem to work out but fortunately my wife ran a gallery and arts centre for 20 years back in the UK so I am guided by her. Also gallery owners here are the ones in the know and I have found a really good gallery near Bordeaux who not only exhibit artists work but also take their work out to the local vineyards on the open days. Too cheap and you risk being seen as not a very good artist, too expensive and no sales! I also sell prints and cards and give out postcards (by Vistaprint when they are free!) at various events. I've recently exhibited at a couple of vineyard open days and have been invited to exhibit at other local functions so getting well known in the area and making a few sales.

www.galeriedes7arts.fr

...@ Sab

Nice stuff. Must admit I do like the 'free from' action paintings.

@ Sab Will

Crumbs Sab, that sounds like a lot of dosh. Did you just show your paintings, or any Photos as well? ( I'll checkout the link )

Hi Suzy, yes, the Bastille fair is expensive - €1000 for a stand plus all the preparation for it - e.g. more than €200 just for some grey material to cover the bare wooden panels, the framing costs etc.

The best feedback I got was 'original' from a few people, which is quite good, especially considering I do just paint on canvas and nothing extremely weird.

I'm in the suburbs of Paris, at Arpajon at the moment - a 40 minute train journey into the centre. You can check out my 'creative diary' here if you're interested: http://abstract-mystic.parissetmefree.com/ Cheers!

Sorry I didnt get to the Bastille expo Sab,I'd have liked to see your work and meet you.I've heard its very expensive.Did you get much comeback on your work from the visitors? Are you near Paris?