Art & Design

great attitude Sab, the only one

It was an 'interesting' experience, put it that way Ron. Won't be doing it again in a hurry but learnt quite a bit about the event and myself too. Can't ask for more than that really. Didn't sell anything but it did rain a lot, and I'm quite pleased to still have all my babies with me - is that totally the wrong attitude or what?!

HI Sab, yes I do go on and on and on and....

Hope you storm out @ the Bastille

Interested in the Turner Prize? Take a look at my blog post here: http://davidabse-art.blogspot.fr/2012/11/the-turner-prize-2012.html

Former Graduates of The West Sussex College of Art and Design now SFN Members include Tim Niall-Harris, Carol Ann Nichols, John Parsons, Chris Slade and Ron Birks. WSCD is a wonderful institution with many Alumni reaching the very pinnacle of their chosen professions.

Wow, and I thought I rambled Ron ;~S Have a great day - today I'm at the Bastille 'accroching' all my paintings - should be 'fun'.

haha Sab, I had a blue bias myself today too!

I'm probably more of a Designer than Artist myself, so I'm always thinking of replications above one offs. Neil Whitehead our Principal straddles both disciplines ( and some ) as he is both Fine Artist AND Designer.

We have all said it many times in this Group that we we're not only surprised at the wealth of talent here in the Survive France Network, but are genuinely proud of same.

We are very lucky to have an ecclectic group of folk many of whom are seemingly selflessly here to support, advise and encourage each other in a multitude of ways. I love it! I think there is a healthy ethos of trust too, in that even in the most heated of debates malice never rears its head.

I think you are right, genuine productive criticism should be encouraged, I for one appreciate a realistic critique and guidance from those in the know, rather than the proverbial slap down from those who aren't, something that was doled out too readily during my informative years.

OK speech over, apart from the following. SFN have kindly allowed the development of 'external' satellites, the Art and Design FB Page, Online mags etc. Those two examples alone were contrived to trumpet our collective expertise, rather than to shift the focus, I myself receive hundreds of likes and comments on my personal feeds which aren't noted back at base if I say, 'comment' on an ArtDept work... or whatever

So even though that exposure is rippling outwards, the SFN message is being passed on. So I think we should be mindful that if we do visit, for example, the Art and Design Dept FB page, take the opportunity pepper in the odd buzz for the Mothership SFN. Let's face it, it's a FREE gallery.

The more we are 'out there' the more we spread the word. After all, there is a strength in numbers, and the more we can add to this excellent source of creatively, knowledge and composite skill set, the better it will become for everyone.

Stand up and be proud of your Network, who knows, one day SFN may become a Political party, and change the course of history ( am I getting a bit carried away here? ) No it's easily done, a link here, a buzz there, a Blogette, a Tweet...

There's over 7000 of us, and a little pro bono SFN clicking takes seconds. We know that we are the best Network around, let's make SFN the biggest and the best.

Gimme an 'S'....

Now Sab, what was the question again?

Hi Ron, yes, there's a reddish tinge to three of the four red and black ones. This is due to me over compensating for a dull dull blueish day I'm afraid.

I'm quite excited anyway about the idea of having a 'series' though. Up until now I've just stuck with the nine canvases but done pretty much n'importe quoi on them. Now that I'm painting more I'm having more opportunities to explore and go down certain dark alley ways, so to speak and I think it's a good thing.

All your ideas for exploring the ideas are great ones, which I'll hopefully get to in due course if I decide to really do a black and red series, for example.

I'd be interested to hear from some of the other 100+ artists or enthusiasts on this list about their artistic choices and conundrums, in the spirit of sharing and all that! Cheers.

Hi Sab, Uploaded.

Don't forget if you make a 'comment' on the FB page ( or the Album pics ) and add a URL, FB turns them into 'links' to say, your profile page.

There is a slight 'red' bias on the Oriental ones, I guess it should go to pure white? If that's so, let me know and I will happily 'rebalance' for you.

Hi Sab,

I was just about to upload, and I saw your comment. I think you have discovered an avenue here which must be enjoyable and satisfying to do.

I do like the 'Japanese' flavour as per one depicted. I don't know what I would to to continue to explore, I might try 'masking' with a paper template, and exploring repeat patterns... could be interesting?

Stippling the open areas? or even spraying through with some sort of diffuser and using thinner media, perhaps even building up layers.

The red black depicted is very pleasing to the eye. I think its graphic shapes, almost hard edged, but rendered in a brush like manner, is the appeal. You certainly should contemplate a 'collection/series'

Have you thought about applying your media with a sponge, dabbing on?

Thanks for the feedback Ron - it’s great to get some.

I'm still very much in the 'search', trying out several different styles and seeing what happens.

That's both for the pure pleasure of playing around and also to try, eventually, to develop my own unique style. Not easy! Maybe I should stick with the camera ;~S

Hi Sab, some very nice offerings you have just uploaded, your colours are electric, and if I may say, I sense a more contrived 'control' in these pieces.
I shall move them over to the FB page a little later on.

Ron

A new pic on an old theme of mine for a rainy Sunday afternoon! 'Blockout', acrylic on canvases, 60cm x 60cm

The problem is if you have something to say and can't draw you can't communicate with your audience!

Blackboard or chalk art is big in the USA and emphasises the hand drawn nature especially of type, a bit like old fashioned sign writing. Some exponents actually use real chalk but the same effect can be replicated with acrylics which I am trying. Also trying out scanning in hand lettering and playing around with effects in Photoshop and producing prints.![](upload://q7uOPayqF5IWB1kKXZSlkpvn278.jpg)![](upload://nBf8hGB3IwE5fWLvtEtcV9o7317.jpg)![](upload://1cP2e1U91PoUPz6p3npGHBZ7WUe.jpg)

Neil,I copied this from your comment about your expo....They both had "something to say" with their art whereas I like making pretty pictures that I hope someone will buy. Dont you think that sums up the difference between french and anglo saxon art. French artists seem to put the 'something to say' before any competence in painting or drawing.Apparently even in the Beaux Arts, drawing is not studied. In the catalogue from our local annuel art expo there were riems of writing by each artist describing what they were saying in their pieces. Glad you sold one.......whats 'blackboard art'?

Interesting in Toulouse - Salon des arts creatives

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/10/19/1468811-arts-creatifs-tout-pour-realiser-vos-envies.html

Just a small one Suzy, thanks for asking. The good thing about the gallery owners is they mount expos in various chateaus during the open season all over the Gironde as well as in their own gallery.

I'm working on a new on-line gallery at the moment plus designs for Christmas cards and a new range of typographic posters and "blackboard art" which seems to be very popular at the moment.

Have you sold many paintings Neil?

Excelent Shailiney, if only I had the time. Itching to get me hands on an iPad but can't justify the expense, at least until I've sold a few more pics at my latest expo.

Sab, are you going a bit Japanesey?

Thanks Ron, that's perfectly clear then, good.