Bizarre & Classic Car Owners

Hi Muriel
We are also in les landes - Dax- and have horses and land rovers . Make sure you join the land rover group. Magali Bosser is a French neighbour and they are mad about vintage British cars. They had a London taxi and now have a range rover ,two defenders and a triumph spitfire!
C x

1 Like

What pretty B!!

Noted David - I am sellng my LHD MG in the spring. French reg although it originally came from Florida. I shall try to sell through the magazine. generally you get a better price in France. I am not leaving the classic world however I am looking for something larger. That is my son doing the rebuild about 4 years ago . It also has a full leather interior.

I’m a member of both - and both have paid for themselves - the UK one with cheap parts, the french with info on garages. The french one gives you a free mag and other stuff too! I’m considering joining the MG Car club too. But maybe that’s too much!! As for buying and selling there’s the ‘classic car’ website which is excellent. Run by the same people who publish the MG mag.

I noticed David is an MG owner however regarding clubs etc I joined MG owners in the UK which is affiliated to MG France. It was slightly cheaper and has the advantage of free MG mags , car stickers etc. £36 as opposed to 55 € and 87 € with a car badge.

Hi everyone, my name is Bob and I live near Flers in the 61 region and I have just become the proud owner of a Citroen Tube/Pig cattle truck which I use locally for my horses and love it. No photo’s yet as I enjoy spending to much time behind the wheel.

Hi - just saying a hello - My name is David, I live near Montpellier and I own an MG Midget.. er.. and an MGB. My only tip for anyone with a classic car is joining a classic car club - through joining the MG club de France I have found the best classic car garages in the area - and had less hassle with getting cars registered as Voitures de collection.

Anyway here's a picture of my Midget:

You too. just one thing, a move like that is a big step,

unless you have got loads of contacts here already.

You could consider renting out your own place and trying it

Languedoc for 6 months say. In a sense that is what I am doing now.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

Its just a "French thing" however this one has no onions - I am off to sunny Wales tomorrow so have a nice Christmas everyone.

Sandie

If you have any more fantasies let me know ?????

Mine is a young French lady in a flowery summer dress riding a sit up and beg bike through the streets of Paris - with onions in the basket. I have an associate in Paris who actually arranged this for me ? And it was not this lady !!!!!

Sandie

They are very expensive to buy, to maintain and to run. Freezing cold in winter and can be a pain to start. If you buy an older model to change the front brakes is a big job and French garages have been known to estimate up to 1000 Euros.I bought RHD in UK a lot cheaper but they have become a cult car. Sold it to a garage for 2000 € and they sold it to a Parisian for 4000 € Good luck in your search.

Here is a link http://www.2cvmarket.com/

Sandie - Tracey Robshaw has one - try asking her?

Hi all, I have just joined this group - I am looking to buy a 2cv to keep in the

Languedoc-has anyone got any got any info on 2cv outlets in France?

also any views as to whether I am better off buying one in UK

or France?

Many thanks

Hi James
It’s about 40 km south of Paris, quite near to Arpajon where I used to live and Sab.
I also used to go for some race meetings, Carrera Cup etc.
The company I worked for at the time was a supplier of seat belts and airbags to Renault and PSA. We had about 30 million dollars worth of business a year with Renault at one poiont and I can proudly say that most of it was down to me. It’s not often I blow my own trumpet (steady Catharine) but I’m very proud of the work I did with Renault. I now work for a company making high speed machining centres and laser welding machines for the auto and aeronautic industry. Obviously, I look after export. I did take about three years out of engineering and industry to run a shop in the UK for kitchens and windows, but gave it up soon after moving to France because I didn’t care for the way they worked. It took some getting back into engineering, as you know, the French tend to be a bit blinkered and you’re not allowed to change disciplines. Or at least not without a fight.

Not quite as quick , but just as skilful…

Hi Stuart

Where is it? Is that what you do currently as a job?

j

Hi James
I used to spend quite a lot of time at that circuit for work. The laboratory there carried out the approvals for seat belts, air bags and generally all manner of auto mobile approvals. Father in-law was in charge of the seat belt side, and I was one of his customers. Happy memories.

Ken block on an old oval track in France.

You can just see the DUKW to the left of the Bolster truck - Sorry, I should have titled the photo!

The DUKW is here in my garden, having hitched a lift on a friend’s low loader. This is actually my third DUKW - gave up on my first & it is now in the Utah Beach museum, the second had to be sold, but paid for my house here. I also have a Bolster truck, so called because of the trailer type.

I have been a member of the Dordogne MVCG for 5 years but for them it is more about dressing up as American soldiers than vehicle restoration! I prefer to go to vehicle shows but these are generally poorly puplicised.