Bizarre & Classic Car Owners

P.S. how about a coupla pics of how she is now? And good luck with your project!

I think youre well qualified for this group! Is the ?DUKW? still in the UK or over here now? I guess it wont be easy to register in France, but Im sure there are clubs around for WW II military vehicles, and think theyll be a help when the time comes to do the reg papers. If its come from a scrap yard I imagine youll have time for research before the C.T. is done.

Hi everyone,
Just been reading about registation problems & thinking how I’m going to cope with my latest vehicle. I have no paperwork for it, it came from a scrap yard in the UK, there is no manufacturers support , it will have to be registered as a truck AND a boat & I think that I will have to get a boat license as well! Still, I have quite a lot of work to do on it first.

This is what mine will look like when finished!

I came to live in France 20 years ago because I liked France - not Europe !!! The French agreed to Europe but they are the last to agree with European Law. Look at the Romanies !!! I love the people that is - I hate the administration. Would it not be boring if we all had the same laws !!

This calls for a new thread !

I like to stay positive and look to a better future…:))

Yes but we are talking about the present Insurance Laws - not the future !!

Yes but if you are not resident (as Roger rightly pointed out) - you are telling fibs even if you own a property.
I personally think the system is overcomplicated and that just as any licence is valid within the EU, so should any car be free to be moved, sold, registered and insured within each EU country and by any EU insurer. Maybe the UK tax needs to go and the CT / MOT standardised. My point is that we will look back at this farcical state of affairs in years to come and find it staggering that no one addressed the issue sooner.

It is nothing to do with using an EU company - it is more the making of a fraudulent claim. If you give your family or friends address in the UK to insure a car then you can have problems. However if you own a property in the UK then you are not telling fibs when you insure a UK car in France.

The next point however is that if you insure the UK car in France how do you tax it in the UK ? The insurance company has to be listed on the database at DVLC http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/ otherwise you cannot have a VEL.

At some point it has surely got to change though - EU standard law and all? It seems archaic and protectionist that we can’t use an EU based company…Grrrr!

Chris

You are lucky because the other driver admitted responsibility - Roger is absolutely correct. French resident, French Insurance. Only exception is the first 6 months of dual residency and UK company cars.

UK Cars - French Insurance

Take this for what its worth however I used to have UK cars with French Insurance until one day my insurance broker let me into a secret - should I have a serious accident and they can prove that I do not have a UK registered address or UK property owner they will not pay out. Read the small print and verify this with your insurers! Mine were AXA. So be careful - knock someone down and you can face a bill for millions of Euros in compensation.

Must admit Ive always wanted both a Seven and an Interceptor, so guess Im the same shade of green as Stuart.
Ive got my72 GT6 registered on a Carte Gris De Collection. It was a bit time consuming but all done now. As Triumph no longer exist, and being old enough not to need a certificate of conformity the procedure is to send photos of vehicle (including engine-number & chassis-plate) to the F.F.V.E. (Federation Francaise Des Vehicles DEpoque). They then send a certificate "Attestation pour obtenir une carte grise vehicle de collection", which substitutes for a certificate of conformity. I believe that only factory standard vehicles will be eligible for these certs tho, and no engine swap specials. “Six-Fires” or “Savage Cortinas” or whatever are probably excluded. But I`ll stand to be corrected on that.
So Stuart, stop hanging around and tell Santa Claus what you REALLY want this year!

Cathy - would you be able to post details of your insurers - we have just (after a bloody year) hopefully managed to import a complicated vehicle - been paying for crappy French insurance all the time needless to say, so would much rather use a UK based company as all our vehicles are bought in the UK.

(Apart from my Renault Kangoo Disneyland Paris edition that James lovingly bought for me thinking he was getting a reliable vehicle and which has turned out to be a pain in the theme park…)

@Cathy
Green, green green with envy. Do you have it registered to a UK address? Sorry, I know I’m prying. Have you never had problems with our gendarme friends?
Stu

@Cathy
Not half!
Have you got one?
I’ve been trying to find ways to buy a classic to bring to France for years.
The best solution is a UK address.

Not bad for 10 grand. You’d pay double in France.

Stu

Sorry not to have anything more constructive to add. !000euros is a big amount with no guarantee of success.

Hi Brian
Thanks for your comments. The Eunos is a Jap import. Have already gone through everything you suggest the DREA the DRIRE - told us to take it to Paris for the conformity but they suggested that we might pay the 1000 euro and still not get conformity - have already paid some 100+ euro only to obtain partial conformity.

As I understand it all you need is a letter of conformity from the manufacturer. Is it a genuine UK vehicle or a “grey” import? Also what age is it? I have a friend with a Mitsubishi, who was refused a letter of conformity because the maker said it was too old to conform. (Over 10 years).
Maybe a “passage a mines” or what is now a visit to the DREA could be an option? I`m not sure about that, but might be worth the research.

Can anyone help? I have a Maxda MX5 Eunos - right hand drive, but excellent to drive and so comfortable. My pride and joy. Problem : apparently I have to take it all the way to Mazda in Paris to get conformity, which will cost about 1000 euros and it still might not receive full conformity. Do I have a way around the scenario or must I sell?

Finally for sale

Ford Fiesta Popular 1983 - yes it really is 28 years old with only 24,000 on the clock. RHD reg in France the interior is show room condition with a few tiny marks on the body. It passed a CT a few weeks ago and the controller said " le châssis est tellement propre que vous pourriez servir un repas à ce sujet " or something similar. Drives better than some cars a cople of years old.

It has been dry stored since new and does about 45 to the gallon.

It can be registered as classic with the FFVE and therefore no CT will be required until 5 years if you go down this route. Photos on demand.

Price 1600 Euros