Bookworms

Susan, my favourite American novelist is Anne Tyler. Try Patchwork Planet, an absolute gem.

I was disappointed with 'I Married A Communist'. Moby Dick was destroyed by being 'force fed' it at aged 13. The British educational system has a lot to answer for. I didn't read a 'classic' until I was in my thirties, and that was Trollope, who I think is wonderful.

Who am I to criticize a great American classic? Maybe force feeding fourteen year olds Moby Dick was like throwing pearls before swine. I will give it another try David.

Oh Susan do read Moby Dick again. One of the world's greatest books.

At this time I'm reading the first book of a trilogy written by Philip Roth

called "I married a Communist" which is quite good. The last time that I read a Philip Roth book was years ago when "Portnoy's Complaint" came out. I was in my teens and found it fascinating. I'm an American and I used to snub American writers as a result of the required reading of Huck Finn and Moby Dick in school. YUK! That was before discovering Willa Cather's "My Antonia" which is on my top reads list. I also like Barbara Kingslover, Brady Udall and Jonathan Franzen to name a few. Is anyone else here interested in reading current novels? I'm always on the lookout for a good read.

David, Stay awake. There is a beautiful chronicling of passions with that sonority. Presumably you find William the more talented? Not more readable! Surely not Alice?

Glyn, I wrote my last poem years ago. It was a mistaken endeavor. I agree, Frost is wonderful.

I suppose Henry James is fine provided you can stay awake long enough to finish a sentence. The least talented of the James family.

I love Yeats. I don't know Brodsky, Cavafy. I shall be googling them now. Learning is very important. I was put off Milton at school. TS Eliot, I know people who can't stand him and others who love him. I think he brings out the two extremes. I love Robert Frost as well. Do you write poetry?

So, I want to meet your sister!

Just found my copy of The Stranger and have put it in the pile for when I finish the James. I really do recommend the Myth of Sisyphus. Somehow, I missed that bit about his playing for Algeria.

My poetry runs more to Akhmatova, Auden, Brodsky, Cavafy, Yeats. Still dip in to my university copy of Milton occasionally. Somehow, in spite of my nephew's strident urgings for Eliot, I simply cannot manage to like the man's work.

When I was about twelve or thirteen, my sister who was six years, said 'Enough of Enid Blyton, read this,' and gave me The Stranger to read. Of course I didn't understand the philosophy. But through The Stranger I fell in love with France. Just the heat, the hero and the whole atmosphere of the place. I read it over and over. I haven't read the Myth of Sisyphus. I must. Did you know that Camus played as an international footballer? In goal for Algeria.

Really, Glyn? The Stranger? Haven't read it in years but I always thought it had valid philosophical value and zero literary value. Maybe I should reread it. Do you know Camus's Myth of Sisyphus essay? That is what I consider his best work ever, but then I am a sucker for ethics.

My favourite novel of all time, Martha, is The Stranger by Albert Camus. I also love TS Eliot, and although it's not a novel, The Gospel According to Luke.

No, Glyn, but it is nice to share an enthusiasm. My favourite novel of all time, or perhaps tied with Anna Karenina, is The Golden Bowl.

He's a good writer is Henry, Martha. But I don't think you needed me to tell you that!

I am currently rereading Henry James's The Tragic Muse. How I love his language. Half of it takes place in Paris, which I know much better now than when I first read it!

Thanks to those of you who bought the books. More are up in classifieds. I am doing a library clear out. If anyone is looking for a specific title, do ask. I just might have it.

I have put up in classifieds a few books, if you want to have a look.

Have just read "The Sweetness of Forgetting" - by Kristen Harmel. Really enjoyed it. Partly quite light with a love story, but partly quite dramatic and sad!! :-)

Have had a lovely afternoon at the St Clementin Literary Festival!! Really enjoyed the bits that I saw and the peiople that I met!! Wish I could have stayed longer - for the Roisin/Helen Interview. But unfortunately had to return to reality and motherhood!! But thanks to Glyn and Gordon for all their efforts, and the hard work of all their "team"!! :-)

Hi Tony

I am making a trip up that way in a couple of weeks (w/e of 23rd Sept) so maybe we could try to organise something then. I will see if I can gather together more books from local friends to pass on to you!!

:-)