Brexit - really?

so you have two years in which to apply for dual-nationality

It takes about 18 months, so don't dilly-dally

Are you talking to me? I have had dual nationality all my life. However, when I next need to renew my UK passport I may well be getting a Scottish one.

my understanding that brexit or not french citizenship by naturalisation, which afaik is the condition applying for most, requires 5 years continuous residency.

Dual? My Aussie wife became British in order to 'join' the EU, waste of £2500 (in total) that was. SO it'll be Tricitizenship for her

I was indeed addressing you. Well, that's good that you have dual nationality.

As for acquiring Scottish nationality, after what happened in 2014, no comment.

The situation in 2014 and the situation now are very different. Many Scots don't see their future looking particularly rosy in a UK outwith the EU and will vote accordingly. The big stick which was waved at the time of the 2014 referendum was exactly that: an independent Scotland would forfeit EU membership. As both votes showed conclusively, Scotland wishes to remain in the EU. The principal difficulty will be getting the current deficit of 7% down to the point (3%) where Scotland is eligible although as a 'state newly independent from a union of nations already within the EU even though on their way out', there might be wiggle room. The situation is unprecedented (apart from Greenland which isn't quite the same scenario anyway) so who knows? I wouldn't have to 'acquire' Scottish nationality, I am half French and half Scottish.

I would like to suggest some possible ways in which our country could go forward in these circumstances which would perhaps help to allay the understandable fears of some folks, and also lead to a reasonably balanced outcome.

1. Her Majesty could appoint a well respected and reasonably neutral figure to form a government of national unity. (Baroness Boothroyd perhaps) This government could include members of all parties from all parts of the UK, and from both sides of the divide.

2. The new government passes a law to keep in place all current legislation emanating from the EU, until such time as each individual part can be looked at to see if it needs reforming / repealing. In this way the sensible rules about such things as health and safety etc can be kept, whilst giving space to prioritise removal of the most onerous / irrelevant parts of the EU rules.

3. The new government puts in place measures to maintain all of the existing EU funded grants and financial supports for the regions and agriculture, until such time as each can be reviewed at a future time. Paying for it will not be a problem as the EU was paying it with UK contribution money anyway. We just pay it direct ourselves and cut out the middle man so to speak.

4. At the time of triggering Article 50, the UK Gov't issues an undertaking (as a gesture of goodwill) that all EU nationals at that time lawfully resident in the UK, and who are either financially independent or have a history of gainful employment, will be issued (free of charge) with a permanent residency / work permit.

Just a few ideas as to ways in which as a country we can move forward in a manner which will be seen to be reasonable in the circumstances.

On a somewhat different note : Let's stop talking about what should have happened, or why it happened, and move on to talking about how we take best advantage of the situation. OK so the London stock market is down 3.1%, but let's take advantage of the fact that the German stock market is down 6,8% and the French market is down 8%. Seems to me that we have the initiative here, so let's use it to best advantage.

Regarding own, homegrown, politicians.... Christoffer Hitchens famously said: “This is what you get when you found a political system on the family values of Henry VIII. At a point in the not-too-remote future, the stout heart of Queen Elizabeth II will cease to beat. At that precise moment, her firstborn son will become head of state, head of the armed forces, and head of the Church of England. In strict constitutional terms, this ought not to matter much. The English monarchy, as has been said, reigns but does not rule......

History is important but sometimes a change is needed. I think Churchill was for a United Europe to minimize risk of us killing each other again.

Lastly, I have yet to meet one who can quote one dreaded EU law.

I don't think this is over yet at all. There is pain, pain and more pain coming the UK's way. We'll see in a few momths if the brave (and stupid) that voted Brexit still have the stomach for it.

The rules that are going to be changed, if any, Michael are UK referendum rules. Watch this space :-)

Let's be serious. No plan, no objectives, no milestones, no hope!

Hi Peter,

Actually I think you'll find that Churchill, being an 'Empire' man, did not consider the UK as being a part of Europe. Yes, he was in favour of uniting Europe to stop Europeans from killing each other, and to stop the UK from becoming embroiled in European wars. However, from what I have read of his words he was advocating the UK being instrumental in the rebuilding of a more harmonised Europe, but not that the UK should become a part of it politically.

Well Robert none of that's going to happen is it, unless you are drafted onto the Brexit steering committee? Are you available and does Boris have your number? It might have been a good idea to have a Brexit plan BEFORE the vote. It's amateur night in the UK, playing with millions of people's futures. It's criminal.

Nobody knows what Chruchill was thinking, both sides claim him as their own.

Sadly there are still far too many "Empire men" as you call them in the UK. The Empire is now England, Wales and the financial blackhole of NI as Scotland scurries off to a better life.

Oh come on John. All this negativity is not going to get us anywhere is it. Let's face it --- Cameron promised the Referendum for party political purposes thinking that he could easily carry the day, and he was wrong ! He lined up a whole array of 'establishment' and business people to support his cause ----- the very people that many ordinary folk detest due to what is felt to be their 'obscene' remuneration packages and 'golden handshakes' even when they mess up to an extent that any ordinary guy would simply be fired for. So when the despised 'elite' say 'Remain' is best, then the people ask themselves "Best for whom ?" and the answer they come to is "Best for yourselves you mean" and so they vote Leave in their millions because they do not trust Cameron and all his cohorts. The relative minnows of the Brexit Brigade did not win the Referendum ----- Cameron and his band lost it.

So now it's done and dusted ----- and for those for whom the result is not what they would have preferred ---- well it's 'Stiff Upper Lip' time my friend. That is the British way I believe, and is no doubt what the Remain Camp would have expected from the Brexiteers had the result been different.

Let us all stop the recriminations, let's be positive, let's make the best of it, let's go forward ------ together.

I think the takeaway point from that clip is not only is the EU pissed of with this UK stupidity but the US is as well. I have no reason to believe that the other countries that advocated remain, China, India, etc. etc. won't be just as pissed off. A great start to trade negotiations.

I agree with your first paragraph Robert. But unlike Boris and his chums I'm not a quitter. Stiff upper lip my bottom (if you don't mind me saying so) we need to fix this stupid result or resign ourselves to a declining UK. I believe things are going to get really bad for the UK really quickly. I believe the UK has no plan to cope with any of this. I believe the UK has no leadership capable of dealing with this, the worst crisis since the War.

This is all going to dawn pretty quickly on the idiots that in a act of bravado voted leave. Then we'll see what happens. It's far from over yet mate IMO.

Peter. I do agree that the land mass of Great Britain is part of the geographical continent of Europe. Whether the UK is part of Europe in other senses is a matter of some debate however. I have to say that for me, Europe has always been a place that started on the French side of the English Channel. People going on holiday on the Continent, or going TO Europe to work for example. The sense of the UK not actually being part of 'Europe' is what I was brought up with, and I know that the same feeling is held by many other British people.

I don't think that Churchill thought of the UK as being part of Europe either. In the Zurich speech he said, "There is already a natural grouping in the Western Hemisphere. We British have our own Commonwealth of Nations." At the end of the speech he closed with the words, "Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America, and I trust Soviet Russia - for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live and shine." I think it is relevant to note that he spoke of Britain being the friend and sponsor of the new Europe, rather than part of it.

By the way. Unfortunately, Rachel Maddow is not exactly known for being the most balanced source in the American media, and on this occasion she has been rather selective in the extracts from Churchill’s speech.

I think this BBC clip is representitive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36627131

People voting out despite all their issues being UK not EU. BTW Nissan will go, as will Toyota and Honda. Given the impact on Tata shares Jag and Landrover will also shift work offshore. Maybe maintaining PR, marketing and design in the UK for obvious reasons. .

The result isn't 'stupid' John, it is the inevitable result of the 'elite' being greedy, selfish, and alienating over 50% of the people. If you want to change the result, then first you will have to change the reason for it. Those that voted Leave are not idiots, what they are is dissatisfied with, and angry at, the 'staus quo' that they were being asked to vote for.

Now they think about it LOL.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/guarantees-wanted-over-the-future-of-european-millions-1-7982120

Robert, it is stupid because getting the hump,taking you ball and storming off for a big sulk never achieved anything. Believe me, the anger will mount against the UK.