Brexit - what will happen to us in France?

Teresa May has finally pledged to trigger Article 50 before the end of March 2017. She seems intent on a ‘hard’ Brexit and is prepared to sacrifice access to the single market in an attempt to control immigration. She’s facing a backbench revolt from many in her party who don’t actually think this is a terribly sensible plan. As we all know, the vast majority of politicians only ever do what they think will keep them in power, so I can’t see her backing down. Blaming the ‘immigrants’ for all of society’s ills is a much easier option than addressing the issues that have caused so many voters to feel disenfranchised with the status quo.

So where does this leave us? Most of us are here in Europe because we want to be. Watching this video (apart of course from the horrible sight of Farage sneering in the corner like some snotty teenager) gave me some glimmer of hope that, out of the Brexit debacle, a new, better and stronger Europe can emerge. Am I being naive? I don’t know but I do hope that this is the case. What do you think?

Is Teresa May doing the right thing by going for a hard Brexit? [poll public=true]

• Yes
  • No
    [/poll]
1 Like

For most people here, the real question is what, if any, acquired rights will we be granted. Put another way: what loops are we going to have to jump through to stay in France and be able to work here? I’m pretty confident something will be worked out as it’s a two way deal and the NHS alone would collapse if all non-British EU nationals suddenly had to leave the UK. I think a soft Brexit would be the best way to go (well no Brexit at all but that no longer seems an option) but as you say, they seem hell bent on a hard Brexit for personal interests, not for the best interests of the UK :frowning:

2 Likes

If you are really concerned about your rights after Brexit, then join www.ecreu.com. It is a support group group actively lobbying MPs on behalf of expats. There are already more than 3,500 members from 22 countries and membership is free.

3 Likes

Urgent Help Needed for the WFP fight
This mail is largely copied from the ECREU site - if you get it twice, apologies. It is to ensure no-one misses it.
Registering and logging in to Roger’s petition is not straightforward - Use ‘Broaden’ and a key word if you need to use the search engine on the EU petition site. This supporting action by you is so very important
Brian Cave

**** From The Ecreu site…
Last month, we asked for support for Roger Boaden’s Petition to the Committee on Petitions of the European Parliament, protesting against the removal of the Winter Fuel Payment.

You can download the full latest version of Roger’s Petition by clicking
http://www.winterfuelpayment.info/

So why has it now become urgent?

The PETI Committee sent the Petition to the EU Commission, but the Commission concluded: ‘The latest amendments to the UK’s Social Fund Winter Fuel Payment Regulations do not seem to point to a breach of EU law and in particular of Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 on the coordination of social security systems.’
Any knowledgeable pensioner knows this is not the case.

Roger now has two months to reply and he wants to show the widest possible support:- so if you have not already done so, please back his efforts
by supporting the Petition from this link:
https://goo.gl/Bk5rOK.
Unfortunately, you must register to show support. To guide you-- Click the Register line just below log-in box- after registering return to the Log In box and then afterwards declare your support.

Following Roger’s success in forcing the DWP to uncover the truth about the methods used to justify ending WFP in some EU countries, he is now seeking further evidence of their wrong-doing, so the petition to the EU has taken on increased relevance.

The announcement by Mrs May that the UK is seceding from the EU will not necessarily nullify the EU regulation which permits the payment of benefits from the UK.
There is a considerable volume of existing regulations subject to discussion and those affecting the resident Britons must be discussed.

1 Like

The UK will be leaving the EU. We all have to accept this fact whether or not we voted Leave.

We have no evidence that any of us will be sent back to the UK (as my French GP said, there are enough illegals to send home before France starts on us, however we are on record and the illegals aren’t). I have written to Gisella Stuart who is responsible for protecting the interests of EU citizens in the UK, expressing my own concerns about continuing entitlement to my Carte Vitale and membership of the French health system. I received a pleasant reply saying that my note has been passed to her committee, no doubt along with thousands of others.

All UK citizens living in France who have a UK vote could write to their UK MPs and to their MEP expressing their concerns about their own situation and prospects. We will have different worries, depending upon age group, dependant children or aged parents, marital status, property ownership, employment status and business ownership, income source, pension arrangements, financial situation, investments, state of health of self, partner or family members, etc. etc…

Some queries are relatively trivial. For example, what hoops will my dog have to jump through to visit the UK and return to France?

Perhaps we could open on Survive France a list of concerns, just bullet points for further discussion elsewhere, which could be quoted to MPs, MEPs, etc. without strident pro- or anti- Brexit wording or arguments from either side, just simple questions or statements of concern. Then we can support each other in clarifying issues and working out solutions, avoiding criticising each other’s vote or opinions.

As things are, none of us knows anything, however whatever our opinions about Brexit, we are all in this together even if the UK politicians aren’t yet aware of potential risks to our way of life.

3 Likes

For my partner and I we were born in Britain but immigrated to Australia in the 1950’s with our respective families but took out dual citizenship whilst in Australia. We have lived in France for just over four years now courtesy of Brit passports and love the country and the lifestyle so therefore next year when we become eligible we will apply for French citizenship. Personally I think Britain has taken a retrograde step with the majority voting to leave the EU.

1 Like

The UK gov is hog tied to quit Europe… despite it being such a close vote… a million odd difference is not a clear mandate… but it is a majority??.. despite the propaganda and rubbish dished out by the Brexit camp…
The press and media and Brexit camp brainwashed the voter to want out… “To regain Sovereignty”… no one actually told the voted where their bread had been buttered for the past 40yrs of beneficial EU laws… now the Gov are looking to keep many of the beneficial laws on pollution, working rights, etc… the press have only ever highlighted the apparently daffy laws on straight cucumbers and bananas… Now the UK gov have to go with the exit… they probably really don’t want to?.. but the referendum said leave…
From what I have seen on the talk of exit is not what the UK want’s… it’s what the future talks can agree on for the benefit of all peoples of UK and Europe… if the UK go stupid hard exit and deny all EU nationals any rights in UK… standby for a backlash here… but they know it is not in the interest of UK or Europe to start a war of retaliations??
Until article 50 is initiated… no one on knows which way it will go??..

2 Likes

Andrew by being hard in the beginning and showing Europe that we are willing to walk away is the right thing to do. It will make the Germans for one to think hard as Britain is their number one customer.
If she went in as a soft touch we would end up being raped. Mrs May is a very bright lady and will work this out for all concerned. The only thing that could destroy the negotiations is the weak politicians and appeasers, unfortunately there are so many selfish people that put themselves first before the huge benefits of their birthplace.

Britain will in a few years time will be a free trade centre on the world stage and the EU will carry on in stagnation with more countries trading in insolvency like France and Italy. In Europe taxes will keep going up and when Brexit is completed they will go up again. The EU sticking to its 1950’s ideals will not survive without change. People want change but we all know nothing will change because all nations have their own ideas and nobody agrees with anybody else. It was OK when the common market was formed because decisions were quicker. But now with 27 nations it’s impossible. Britain without the slightest shadow of a doubt is far better out. I live in Belgium and Italy mainly and hear and see what is happening around Europe, things are not too good especially in Italy. Things need to change.

4 Likes

You’re on my wavelength, I think, Geof,… as regards this…
You might be interested in reading this Stratfor forecast re the state of the world for the next decade or so. I think it makes interesting reading and that the ‘writing is on the wall’ for the EU…
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/stratfor/156ef2fd69380191

1 Like

Hilary you are absolutely right and so is Stratfor on its forecasting. Reminds me of when I went to the pictures years ago to watch the film Titanic, queuing outside the ticket office to watch a film when I already knew the ending.
Thanks for replying, Geof.

Geof, all valid points and I hope you’re right, time will tell. Much is wrong with Europe, I have an Italian work collegue who is here as she can’t find work in Italy, a country I know reasonably well. However, I still think the idea of cherry picking trade deals and saying no to the rest is a non-starter, but who knows. Not so sure it’ll be that simple to be a world player if the UK loses the city and foreign investment as an entry point to the European market (Nissan et al). On verra / vedremo…!

2 Likes

Hi Andrew, I think you underestimate the financial clout that Britain has in the world. I cannot see London losing its place as the the number one place for finances. There is plenty of sabre rattling but on the other side companies are wanting to take their place and invest in Britain. If I was the the boss of a large American bank I would rather stay out of the eurozone and keep with the devil I know. Who knows what’s in store for eurozone banks, that’s far more shaky than what is happening re Brexit. I certainly would not move my offices to Paris or Bonn at this particular time.
I am Chairman of a large international company in the UK, since Brexit we have had to adjust prices because of the lower pound but that has been well offset by the extra 2 million pounds turnover this year has produced. You mentioned Nissan, they have already said that they want to increase their investment. It’s all swings and roundabouts Andrew. Regards Geof

3 Likes

Bob Difficult to argue that the Leave campaign lied but equally the Remain campaign failed to respond to the lies in their arrogant belief they couldn’t lose.

As each day goes by the painful consequences are being revealed but it was the Remain campaign’s duty to spell these out before the referendum and they failed to do so.

3 Likes

so the uk does send 350 million quid a week to the eu and when we leave it will all be spent on the nhs then? :confused:

2 Likes

why?
Why do we have to accept that “as fact”

there’s a groundswell of opposition and the referendum was not legally binding.

The actual figures that count was of the 100% eligable voters there were 27% voted leave.
63% voted remain or abstained which can be taken as a happy with the current position.

There is also a huge 38% of UK passport holder and citizens denied the chance to vote. Im one of those 38% , as is the majority of my family. We were denied a voice in the referendum despite being effected in a brutal and dramatic manner. And I know dozens more people just like myself, my brother, my sisters who are all in the same position.

SO NO we don’t have to accept it. Why should 27% of miserabale s**ts get to dictate my future when remaining has zero effect on theirs.

4 Likes

I know you over estimate it.

they did, they presented likely outcomes and got accused of scare mongering.

whilst Johnson, Farage and Grove and co just lied through their teeth.

2 Likes

so which rag press you reading this in?

Its certainly not the position of Nissan head office according to their most recent press statements in independent media nor the clear message Japan Govt issued to the UK govt a couple of weeks ago.

FYI: I work for an NZ based exporter, we’re currently in talks with euro based companies to work with as the UK based one will not be able to produce the results we need to make it worthwhile.

3 Likes

Let’s hope that the people in Britain will still be able to afford prestige German products. At the end of the day if the Germans have difficulty selling cars etc in the UK I am sure that they will be able to make up the shortfall selling their World class products in the Chinese market.

1 Like

It’s interesting that your large firm is able to react so quickly to short time market changes. Even a market stall holder would have had difficulty analysing the effect of what has happened since June 23rd. Dream on.

3 Likes