CDisgusted!

Nick,
If you look on YouTube, you will see clips of oven fires that people have filmed. These are mainly from the US, where folks tend to be rather casual about electrical safety, because of their relatively harmless 110v supply. My first instinct would be to reach for the off switch, rather than the video camera!
But oven elements generally last a long time. A failure after only a few months would suggest faulty manufacture.
Like you, I had no problems with purchase and delivery.

Mike sorry to hear you’ve had a bad time with them, but all credit that you manage to put out a balanced critique. From my own experience with Cd, well it has only ever been good.
The oven going bang must have been a bit of a shocker though!

Cyndy,

I made two purchases from Cdiscount. The other one was an "Anglepoise" type reading lamp that was great value for money and is still working well.
As I said, most things don't go wrong. So you need to weigh up the extra bit of discount against the small possibility of having a fight if the product doesn't perform as it should. And I can't answer for all the other suppliers out there. Amazon are probably a safe bet, if you don't have reservations about them "exporting" their profits. We finally chose Conforama because they have a good after-sales reputation, you can see the actual product in their showroom and their own-brand "Far" offers a good price/quality ratio.

Thank goodness I read this - I was only yesterday browsing their site with a view to making some purchases. Not a chance now!

I don't use them any more Mike. I do order on line but tend, for bigger things, to order them from a store like BUT, Darty, Boulanger and then pick them up from the store. Quite unbelievable that you can make savings that way.

Just realized that I never posted the final outcome.
We won our case. Got our money back with a bit extra to cover our expenses. Was it worth it? Not in financial terms, we spent countless hours on this. But the moral victory was beyond price.
The final irony was right after they paid out, we received an email asking for our opinion of their after-sales service!
So I am still not sure if they are deliberately malicious or just plain stupid. Maybe a bit of each…

1 Like

Good job @Mike_Kearney Power to the people! :fist: