COC for UK spec vehicles

Allo Allo, anyone know if the COC is still a requirement for re-registration of UK spec vehicles here in France?
Seems a little archaic and irrelevant in these modern times, ha ha.

I hear that some préfectures will now accept the EU type approval number shown on the vehicle registration document.

I’m based in la Dordogne currently. I wonder if anyone here on Survive France has had experience of the préfecture in Perigueux or the sous-préfecture in Bergerac regarding this acceptance?

Some préfectures will now accept the EU type approval number shown on the vehicle registration document instead, but as the practice is not yet uniformly applied, you would need to verify this with your own préfecture.

1 Like

Thanks Chris, I’m based in la Dordogne presently.

I wonder if anyone here on Survive France has had experience of the préfecture in Perigueux or the sous-préfecture in Bergerac regarding this?

The V5 will usually be accepted if it shows all the necessary conformity information. Unfortunately that seems to be a big if.

Hi Chris,
The French government website does now state that if the c of c number is on the foreign registration document then that is acceptable. All prefectures should now accept that but occasionally you will get someone who has not read the new instructions but that is now rare. Perigeuex have been accepting this recently but there is an anomily! Along with the complete c of c number (section K on a UK logbook) you must also have the variant/version number (D2 on the logbook).
This only applies to post 2001 logbooks as before then the DVLA did not put it on.
If you have the necessary numbers you can also use your UK MOT provided it was carried out less than 6 months previously but you will still need to get a french CT if your car is 4 years old.
If you need to change headlights then I suggest eBay.fr as your first stop. I have seen a few posts on some sites where Brits have “discovered” a spanish site who will provide european headlights. I usually find that eBay.fr in european mode can save me a cosiderable sum! Example: pair of lights for 2002 Transit. Spanish site 195 euros, eBay.fr 120 euros. Both are new. eBay included free delivery.

1 Like