Confusion on bringing a vehicle from Switzerland

Bob,

Sorry, I forgot to say that you will need to supply your original Swiss Carte Grise to the Mairie and need to change the timing of the visit to the French Douane to 1 week before departure or say that you can do this after you leave Switzerland. Finally, I forgot to mention that once you get your French Carte Grise you will need to get French insurance. Once this is all done and your French tags are riveted to the vehicle you can mail your Swiss plates back to the Canton. Your Swiss insurance company will not cancel your insurance until the plates are returned.

Thanks Rick, really useful information for normal cars etc.

Unfortunately complicated by the vehicle originating in Germany and being imported into Switzerland. Also, due to it’s classification in Switzerland, it will be treated as a commercial vehicle in France which has CT and other implications.

Not worth the hassle. We’ll sell it and get another one in France.

Just read through this, I had the same problem with a motorbike bought in seitzerland & tried to register in France. In the end I shipped it to the uk registered it there & shipped it back to France to reregister it. All legal & sved a fortune on vat…