Could you forgive a killer?

oh and don't wear anything other than black, cover everything except the eyes and even these will need to be screened; If you have children be proud to see them develop as Warriors of Islam and learn how to design a dynamite waistcoat. If perchance you are of child-bearing age, be prepared to be shared around your husband's friends - but again don't worry as they will probably have multiple sex slaves anyway plus a few wives to dole around so you might get lucky.

Doreen,

don't worry. All you need to do is learn Arabic, buy a burqua, kill off any pets you might have, don't touch beer or wine or spirits, don't eat pork (one of the few good things about Islam?) give up driving, and keep a copy of the Koran on your bookshelf, - and bobs's your uncle!

No probs.

Brian

at the point of being wearisome the Sunni and the Shiites have been at each others throats for centuries - both proclaimed Muslims. IF ( NB cap 'IF') there is any answer to the Mad Mullahs, Mahdis and assorted ratbag nutters in this (to me perverse religion) it is surely not us of different religions, or none as they case may be, but the Muslims themselves.

If as you suggest there are 99% moderate Muslims, well surely as they must be in the vast majority they must to be able to change things? If not, then one is forced to think that they do NOT want to change anything, and by definition agree with the depredations and atrocities. I have noted reports that there is little difference in the treatment of 'civilians' in areas under IS rule and those re-taken by Iraqi forces.

It's in their religion - not to say their genes.

I lean to the latter conclusion, but as I say I have no vested interest in the outcome. I have no children, or dependents, so why the hell should I care if nobody else does? Demographically as stated by Mohammed Gaddafi, the birthrate will decidee anyway, Europe doesn't need to fight as the next twenty years will see a majority, or close to, of Muslims throughout Europe.

Will they be moderates or not? Will they allow other religions to be practised? They don't in their own countries now, so I somehow doubt it - so farewell Protestants, Catholics and even Quakers.

Maybe it will be better?

Whatever I won't be around so it's no longer my fight.

Well said.

Yes, actually God has quite a bit to do with it. The whole thing started with a group of believers being slaughtered in their church then, at least one of the relatives chose to forgive the killer so yes, God is very much a part of this.

'Norman and Simon, bringing God into this is a bit off. Whether any of us believe or not, are hesitates, agnostics or tooth fairy subscribers do not forget that probably 99% of Moslems are not part of this and also SFN has a diversity of members including Moslems this could offend or others of faith who do not like such remarks.'

'Bringing God into it is a bit off' - you've got to be kidding me! The history of mankind is littered with those murdered in the name of 'God' or some other mythical being - and so it goes on and on and on.....

They (whoever they are) don't murder in the name of anything - that's simply the excuse for off-the-scale savagery.

I couldn't care less if my comments could 'offend those of faith' - I'm unaware of any 'faiths' who haven't, at some point in their history, persecuted or murdered simply for not toeing the party line. I doubt they would have any respect for my thoughts but nonetheless, I currently live in a free democracy and am wholly entitled to my view. If it's not yours that's just too bad - I don't need you to agree and I don't need to belong to any mythical sect.

Brian, I actually agree with much of what you said after your opening gambit but I'm afraid it's been lost in my incredulity!

Sorry Brian, but my experiences both in the Middle East and by studies of the Koran lead me to the opinion that far from ignoring the 'God' situation it is the KEY factor in the problems, and that your 99% is rather, not to say exceptionally optimistic.

However, as I have said before, it is not my problem, and I have stated my position previously to much abuse, and so be it. Who knows maybe Shariah Law will be better for the next generation and your children and grandchildren, but I'm gald I won't be there under it. As they say 'been there, done that' didn't like it.

Quite simply put, I no longer care. As long as they don't affect me or mine, they can do what they like.

Russell and his lot since have been saying tomorrow is the end for approaching 150 years. Oh well! Back to Dylan or Hendrix... 'All along the watchtower...'.

It is beyond terrorism. The size of IS groups in each of several countries is in thousands, they are also right out in the open in several. They have declared holy war. Innocent people are being killed, enslaved, forced into concubinage, forced to convert and made to practice a belief in which they do not believe but have never had conflict with before. It is very scary stuff.

Yes maybe Brain but although I don't know any better than you I suspect a lot is done behind the scenes regarding the exchange of intelligence etc. Problem is the terrorist web is so vast that any action taken is just a drop in the ocean !

Anyway, it doesn't matter because this was dropped in my letter box the other day when I was out (fortunately !). Prepare for the worst..........................

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20150501/

Yes, how? But leaving it all until it is past the point of no return looks very like indifference or cluelessness, but the point about individuals quite right at the same time, wore when it gets to the point where it might even mean we are all affected by martial law for our 'protection'... Thus far the international effort has been quite minimal and all the while many more people are going over to IS.

There are no easy solutions, but doing nothing of substance is not right.

But what can governments actually do ? The killer at Lyon was known to the security services way back in 2006 or whenever but he hadn't committed any crime apparently. It's impossible to keep tabs on the thousands of 'dodgy' Islamists or anyone for that matter 24/24.

Back on topic. Call me old-fashioned but I can't imagine me forgiving someone who either chops another persons head off or some maniac under whichever banner gunning down 27 innocent people, funny ain't I ?

Norman and Simon, bringing God into this is a bit off. Whether any of us believe or not, are hesitates, agnostics or tooth fairy subscribers do not forget that probably 99% of Moslems are not part of this and also SFN has a diversity of members including Moslems this could offend or others of faith who do not like such remarks. Whilst I have no faith and do not believe in mythical super beings, I respect those who do. Caution, eh? Right now perhaps more than ever.

As for the situation, well I am getting lost. ISIS are entrenching themselves in an increasing number of places and slowly but surely becoming established, slightly slower but certainly growing in those places. To all intents and purposes they have declared war. Nobody is doing anything, there I mean not only military action but anything whatsoever, substantial about the situation. Sitting on the sidelines and making statements has go on too long. My OH and I had a job dealing with refugees from Syria at the end of last year, beginning of this at distance. However, it meant that we were in touch with people in Syria and the surrounding countries and we were quite frankly appalled by the lack of generally available information. The public beyond the Middle East had no idea. Now they have heard little about the things building up, whether the murders of local Save the Children staff in Afghanistan or through the entire region to things in Kuwait, Yemen and right across North Africa that affect them, plus several other organisations and UN agencies similarly affected.

Nothing is being done to prevent this build up rather than talk. Naturally the international organisations do not want war, but all of us talking to each other agree that IS have now effectively declared war worldwide. Something needs to be done. It is beyond forgiving anybody specifically because now the governments and the international alliances are as culpable, sitting on hands doing nothing and now it has come to days like yesterday and all they are doing is still proposing meetings to see what they might do! Politicians are getting beyond forgiveness too, do not forget them.

Simon, maybe the Muslim God was on Duty?

First of all my sincere and heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims of the horrific attacks in France, Kuwait and Tunisia yesterday. Unimaginable horror.

So - how 'forgiving' are we feeling today? Where was 'God' (any of them) - another day off?

So, the latest is :

One person decaptated and mutilated in Isère alongside explosions thought to be Islamist. At least twenty seven tourists killed in Tunisia.

Can the perpetrators be forgiven ?

Jan

Norman, it has nothing to do with Peter.
You seem to have difficulty in following the thread.

Sounds like a good night ashore, the 'good old days indeed' ! Trouble is, you try to tell the youth of today and they just laugh at you !

I was too legless to notice - or can't you tell?

Hell, Drunk in Charge of a Barge? How about that on your CV?

Hi Veronique, I admit to being with you on this one. Almost certainly it was at worst manslaughter, but even allowing for that the sentence was farcical and bore no relationship to the consequences of her action. Again we come back to personal responsibility. Not one of us can honestly put our hands on our hearts and say we haven't driven badly at times for variety of reasons - maybe just the wife giving one an earbashing - shades of 'Keeping Up Appearances?

Nonetheless she and we in reality should be punished, notably when causing the death of another person. I think the defence lawyer's approach was ill-advised, but at the end of the day he seemed to get her a remarkably light sentence so maybe he was right after all? What really bugs me though is this business of sentencing being made luducrous by assorted caveats such as time of for 'good behaviour' etc., etc. If the sentence is given then it should be applied i? How can justice be seen to be impartial when it changes for individuals?

Looks like the Ayatollah Khomeini just behind you Norman lad. You really did mix in elevated circles in those days.