Cranes flying North?

Hi all,

Today we have seen the first of the cranes flying North over us in the Dordogne, do they know something about the coming of spring ? Last year they were flying over in March in their hundreds, maybe the ones we saw today are just the advance party! Am hoping it signifies a nice early spring and summer to come, we could all use a bit of sunshine about now.... Anyone else had any sightings of them in different areas lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUt74MQRcIQ

They must know something we don't!

I've heard them here too this week, marking their territory ready for breeding I think. Hope they are all right about the spring coming!

Our neighborhood friendly woodpecker started punching the neighbour's washing line pole this morning -does that mean anything?

Too much snow falling here in Cantal for penguins never mind cranes

Not here its not, snowing a blizzard all last night lost the tv signal and phone, heard the snow plough at 8.30 this morning and breathed a sigh of relief as i had a Carcassonne airport run at 12.30 struggled to get out but once we hit the main road easy going the roads were clear over the top of the Montagne Noire no snow at all Carcassonne was wet but reasonable in the sun French drivers seem to have the same problem as some in the uk unable to slow down and drive to the conditions quite a number of cars left abandoned with their front wing and grill smashed

Not sighted anything this far south yet (34) but there is definitely something in the air when you get out around the countryside. The birds are certainly more active and there is no doubt that if you want a long-term weather forecast, just look at the birdlife. Personally can't wait as this will be just our second springtime here and last year it was absolutely wonderful out cycling on a bright, warm Spring morning. Sounds like heaven - it is.

Yes, hundred flew over this morning in the Gers!

Looks like they flew into the wrong direction ;-) Here near Nimes it is/was snowing and temperatures have dropped at least 10°.

I've got bloomin' daffs in the garden as well...but on considering Linda's " all the wild birds seem to be preparing for Spring and mating. "...my (French of course ..aie aie) girlfriend.. doesn't seem to be in a very "springy mood"...so I'd keep the woolies and wellies at hand for the moment.bUT THIS IS ONLY MY PERSONAL PROPOSITION..oops...and, of course, I'm only kidding...bon vent..roll on spring :)

It must be a sunday even Hilary. they always announce themselves with that marvellous cacophany andwe saw several skeins go over last Sunday. This morning there wer many more all flying North. We live in dedpartment 17 close to the estuary. I can't say that I've noticed any other signs of spring since I saw a magpie nest building several weeks ago. Apart from the welcome daffodils and other flowers.

We already have Daffodils in bloom in the garden, which is quite nice. And the plum tree has started to blossom.

Heh, tell that to the cranes!

Steady, we're not quite finished with winter, yet...

Chris

Woo hoo, spring is really on the way, roll on summer!

Yes, here too in the Haute Vienne. Just a small group - yesterday. In fact, all the wild birds seem to be preparing for Spring and mating. Mr. Robin's redbreast is so bright you can see him at the bottom of the garden!

We are much further north than you and have had a group of five that decided not to go south for the winter. They must have known it was not going to be so cold this year

There is some marshy ground between the Dordogne (less than 1km) and our nearby little tributary where cranes often feed, it will be interesting to see when the first ones are there.

Hope so Brian, they are early this year, hope they don't regret it!