Do you dye your hair?

I am dark blonde at the moment. When I was at school I dyed my hair green
and got sent home for it.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a Jean-Louis David navy blue one which might be good; if it is really yellowy, stick the shampoo on a dry tail and leave it for 5 minutes before using the normal tail shampoo (worked for me back when a million years ago I used to show a grey). We used also to put chalk into manes tails socks etc but I donā€™t do that with my hair :wink:

1 Like

not since 2006 when I had a massive reaction to PPD. I ended up in hospital on steroids as my whole head swelled up right down to the neck. It was horrendous! It was the first time Iā€™d chosen a full head colour as in the past Iā€™d only ever had highlights but Iā€™d decided I was too light and wanted to go brownā€¦never again. Iā€™ve now swapped hair colouring for the odd facialā€¦

1 Like

Aaaaaaaarrrgh horrors, hairdye allergies are really bad, arenā€™t they?

1 Like

Well I have such a combination of dye, streaks, highlights, lowlights and natural grey shining through that Iā€™m not entirely sure what my real colour is these days. Iā€™m venturing to go a bit crazy, had plum highlights last month but theyā€™re too muted. Now asking my hairdresser for violet and purple streaks. Iā€™d definitely go natural if I thought that my colour would grow out as any icy-silvery blonde (a la Helen Mirren) but in reality it will probably be a grey streaked washed out mousy brown. My best friend at the moment is hair chalks, easy to apply and wash out, so occasionally I have a blue fringe and streaks. Plus no allergies from hair chalks, you can buy them from Amazon.

1 Like

I bet your hair is a lot more icy and silvery then you think! Try it and seeā€¦ I have seen a thing at my hairdressers, but not tried it, called blanc perle or the like which looks icy-silvery-blonde. It is in one of those books of swatches.

Crazy colour and another brand whose name I forget are good for purple (I dyed my hair deep violet or ultraviolet and loved it) but unfortunately I found they faded to a sort of sludgy pink which was a bit too matchy-matchy with my face :frowning: they had/have hair chalks in Sephora but very pastelly.
I had beautiful deep blue hair for a while as a student but in those days it meant bleaching it firstā€¦ and again blue pigments seem to fade a lot quicker than red-based ones.
I think hairdyeing is fun but what a bore having to deal with roots every 3 weeks.

Hi Veronique, from the roots coming through thereā€™s a glint of silver but a lot of mouse! I once did have a of of silvery streaks which made me look like a skunk as the contrast of white/brown was a bit, ahem, drastic. I was a punk so blue and pink hair isnā€™t new to me. I just donā€™t want to grow old boringly!!! In fact most of the clothes in my wardrobe are rich blues and bright fuschia pinks and purples! Blue hair dye doesnā€™t last and goes vaguely greenish. As long as thereā€™s hair colour on the shelves then Iā€™ll keep the hairdressers in business!

1 Like

After years of having people ask me if i die my hair due to how black it is(i actually have black, not dark brown hair), i like the fact there is some grey in it, it stops people asking.

never understood why anyone bothers dying, guess its the same as makeup, some people like it others donā€™t, still it all keeps me working so so be it

that said i do think there is a competition on my head, will it all go grey or all fall out firstā€¦

1 Like

Quick question - excuse my ignorance, but why do you need a special shampoo/conditioner just because your (or the horseā€™s) hair is a particular colour? White/grey hair isnā€™t necessarily any different in texture to other coloursā€¦youā€™re surely treating the dryness/greasiness first and foremost.
Since being in France ( white hair for 20 years now, and proud of it - never used any colouring) and in a ā€˜loose-limeā€™ water area (ie loads of milky lime in the water but it doesnā€™t fur up the kettle in the same way as London water), I just use Bodyshop Ginger shampoo (dry skin - same shampoo for the last 30 years) and (modesty aside) am told by hairdressers (on the occasional visit - OH trims my hair beautifully) that theyā€™ve rarely seen such a thick head of hair. (Just for that, itā€™ll probably all drop out tomorrow!)
If you (or the horse) need a conditioner, I suggest a small amount of an aloe vera based one.

1 Like

Horsesā€™ tails arenā€™t the same texture as human hair and if they are white, have a tendency to go a pretty dodgy colour and sometimes the hairs snap off leaving nasty sticky-out bits which donā€™t look good. White tails (and other white bits of a horse eg socks) are supposed to be a lovely snowy white not dirty-looking. Hence the blue/ purple shampoo and conditioner. It is just a question of appearance but it reflects the care you take of your horse. You also use hoof polish so your horse has lovely shiny hooves and spend hours cleaning tackā€¦You can spend hours and hours beautifying a horse for an event but it will go and roll in mud or plants and it will all come to naught. I spent much longer on horse toilette than on my own, as a child, in those days plaits needed to be sewn in!
Ps I have open fires, do a lot of cooking, am in town a lot, smoke etc and have extremely hard water; I like my hair to be properly white not with yellowish bits so now I use de-yellowing products as well as sulphate-free shampoo which I used before as well. I find white hair picks up dirt/pollution more (or it just shows more).

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried Blonde Henna a couple of times, doing it at home. I thought the Henna smelled nice (maybe like fresh-cut grass or chamomile or something), but didnā€™t do much, color-wise. Maybe I didnā€™t do it right those times.

Iā€™m now getting my hair highlighted every few months at a lovely place (not in France - but would love to know if anyone has recommendations), and was told that if I ever used Henna in my hair the salon wouldnā€™t be able to do highlights (let alone color), again. I thought this was surprising. Has anyone heard a salon say this?

Hairdressers usually refuse to do chemical dyes on top of henna because they react badly together, they work differently as henna coats the cuticle and chemical dyes lift the scales and go inside the hair. At least this is what my hairdresser in Scotland (who actually did both types of colouring, but not simultaneously and not on the same person) told me. ā€˜Blonde hennaā€™ is likely just to add shine, it canā€™t highlight your hair unless it has some bleaching agent added to it.
I suspect blonde henna is going to be a mixture of things including camomile and doesnā€™t contain henna the plant at all, since lawsonia ( henna) really is screaming orange-red and youā€™d notice!!

3 Likes

Screaming orange-redā€¦ Sounds kinda fun.

1 Like

screaming orange red ā€¦sort of keeps me youngish.

1 Like

A salon i stopped in said the same. I am wanting to dye my hair greyā€¦since lots of greys are coming in. It will be a lil process since i had my hair dyed a deep red before

1 Like

For many years I cut my own hair, then having reached 50, a few years ago (!) I decided to let my hair grow.
Now , once a year I take a trip to the hairdressers for a light perm.
I am a ā€˜dirty blondā€™ colour ,although mum being kind says I have red tints in the sun :rofl:
I do have the occasional yearn for something different so will try applying blue, green or pink eyeshadw to my hair.
However the most successful is beetroot juice, itā€™s quick, easy and you can be subtle, or not, whats more it washes out easily ! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was born blonde and later went fair/mouseyā€¦first experiments were with food colouring to go to a stranglers concert at 14ā€¦

Iā€™ve had my hair blonde and red in summer and blonde and black in winterā€¦Iā€™ve also had it purple which I loved but it did fade quickly to pinkā€¦the only time my hair was cut short was when Madonna had her hair cut shortā€¦I instantly regretted itā€¦took a while to grow it again and have never had it cut short sinceā€¦

Itā€™s been years now since I visited a hairdresserā€¦I cut my own fringeā€¦sometimes okay and sometimes I think why on earth did I do that and wait for it to grow out againā€¦

I think my hair now is probably mousey with a smattering of grey/silverā€¦I love the greys and silvers available now and loving the photos Veroā€¦x :slight_smile:

Back in the day and the only time I had my hair cut shortā€¦x :slight_smile:

Madonna - Papa Don't Preach [Official Music Video] - YouTube

2 Likes

It is so awful the way a fabulous purple fades to pink. I have a nice little kit I got in the holidays in Germany containing a tube of purple, a tube of ultramarine and a tube of turquoise hair dye, to do that multi coloured effect - my fingers are itchingā€¦

1 Like

My fingers are itching for youā€¦! The purple was so rich and lovely wasnā€™t itā€¦I loved it so much but it was a semi permanentā€¦when it faded to a wishy washy pink I went back several times to restore the purpleā€¦would have loved it to been in a permanent formatā€¦I would probably still have purple hair nowā€¦x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love that song!

1 Like