Do you miss foods from around the world - where do you get them?

Forgot the new curry spice supplier currycuisine.fr Very good I have used them.

I think semolina ground is cornmeal flour. For chocolate, try Lidl, just as good as Cadburys. For chocolate mint bars try Leader Price. For cheeses I buy most Pyrenean but I live in midi pyrenees. The vache is a good substitute for cheddar, but you can get that here. For sausages try Leader Price chipolatas volaille (poultry), tasty and not fatty. For Indian spices try Spices of India, for Asian food we go to the Shanghai in Agen. I know there are other around the country, so Google that one. We've been here for 10 years now and can find substitutes for most things which means when we go back to the UK we enjoy the pub lunch.

PS We even have an English fish and chip van which comes once a month, so we get our "Fix" for that one then.

PPS Happy experimenting, try it, its fun

I can also attest to the content of sausages being a bit dodgy at times. My veterinary studies in France included meat inspection in slaughter houses and the common expression for sausages was “slaughter house floor sweepings”. Bon appétit! :wink:

Love all these comments - as an American who grew up in Greece with many Lebanese friends, there are a lot of “comfort foods” that I can’t always find easily in France… does anyone knowwhere tofind corn mealfflour to make American corn bread? I can only find corn flour that’s too fine for that. “exotic” foreign British and American food sold in Auchan is so expensive because very few people buy it so they probably only purchase small quantities thus the high price. I agree that Old El Paso products are not good! I use their tortillas and make my own salsa and guacamole.

I don't miss anything as I shop online with Tesco, get any bargains/special offers going and have it all delivered by blightyshop.com. Good thing really, as my husband and I are vegetarian an we do like Quorn from time to time. Everything is so much cheaper than here in France, even with delivery charges and I like the bigger choice of treats for the dogs.

Nope, Catharine, never found fresh skimmed, have to make do with semi skimmed. If no fresh to be found, skimmed bio is the best UHT option but tend to drink coffee if no fresh milk around, so blooming expensive as well.

The "full English" is something I have never really been into. So sausages don't really feature in my diet Catharine. I quite like the Toulouse variety occasionally. But tea bags are a different story. I always have a few hundred "proper" ones from England in stock. I think that is my only "non-negotiable". Most of my family are of the opinion that I have "gone native".

Have you ever found fresh skimmed Tracy? I really miss that in my tea :(

Ohh and English chocolate rules the world. Long live Noz where I can replenish supplies.

Parsnips are great and when done in the oven with meat are tops.

Away from the UK since 1989 and I still import PG Tips and sausages, can not bear the French varieties. Have to have fresh milk in my tea too and therefore hate tourist season when the supermarkets do not stock any extra and frequently run out.

Catherine,

I forgot parsnips - we grow our own and also runner beans, which are ornamental as well as useful.

You're a lucky man then Steve!

His English neighbours in France.

French food is great and I am not a veggie. But I spoke to a passenger on an easyjet flight and he and some of his English neighbours get food shipped from England and it is still cheaper than the same food bought in France. Why is food so expensive in France. Example Heinz beans in Intermarche in Tarbes are over 2 euro a can.

Very good Roger! Btw, I now know of a 'proper' sausage outlet in the 64 :)

My Grandad ate his last sausage, in France in 1914. He never touched one after that. "Bags of mystery!", he used to call them! hahaha!!

I miss parsnips as they are not widely available and navets just do NOT do it for me!

I missed big fry ups, but now I am back in London and have had my fill. Nothing really that I miss from London. But I find veggies and meat taste great in Ireland and I miss that. Now I also miss French cooking since moving back to London.

I don't miss much from the UK. I eat better here. But when we take our annual trip over the water, I usually bring back tea bags, Shredded Wheat and MaMade. In case anyone hasn't heard about the last of these, it is prepared Seville oranges that you boil up with two packets of sugar to make six pots of marmalade.
So I guess it's mainly about breakfast, though we do make our own Baltis.