Exchange rates - are you suffering?!

Teachers Pensions are tax at source no choice. Think there are others firemen police etc.

1 Like

One is only taxed on the amount left after Tax Free Allowance is appliedā€¦ surelyā€¦ ??

Sounds more like a nightmare than a dream, but given they are talking about unilaterally removing the tariff on imports the only obstacle is our own parliament, and they donā€™t seem to put up much of a fight these days.

Simple economics should be telling them that Britain needs to discourage, not encourage, imports. Perhaps simple politicians donā€™t understand simple economics let alone anything taxing.
I notice that the BBC article states that the Ā£135,000,000,000 ā€˜boostā€™ to the economy will only claw back 30% of the trade lost from the EU. Hardly something to shout about. Perhaps a more accurate headline would be, Hard Brexit Would Result in Over Ā£300,000,000,000 Trade Shorfall Over Current EU Situation.

1 Like

Yes, Stella. If you have a state pension, then that is likely to absorb most if not all of your tax-free personal allowance: so you wonā€™t be taxed on it at all. If there is any personal allowance left after that allowance has been made, it will be applied to your other pension income until the allowance is exhausted. Thereafter you will be liable to income tax on the rest.

Thatā€™s my understanding, and I think itā€™s correct at the time of writing.

Peter

As an ex civil servant Iā€™m suffering badly like Lesley with the added complication that my wife is in a care home with Alzheimerā€™s and I have to pay her fees which is really hurting now.

Confit de canard and red wine, Stella! Such a life of delicious degeneracy on a budget is a standard we should all salute and aspire too! Any more astuces de turpitude morale will be eagerly awaited from the woman who knows how to live on the edgeā€¦:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi D W.
Sad to read of your wifeā€™s situation, and certainly financial worries are the last thing you need on top of that. Have you considered contacting your local Centre Medico-Social ? A discussion with an Assistante Social may well ease some of your financial worries as they may well be able to help you with applying for the appropriate financial subsidies.

@anon64436995

Hi Peterā€¦

I have always stocked-up when I see my favourite products at good pricesā€¦ and confit has a long shelf-life and can be served in a variety of waysā€¦ an excellent standby for offering unexpected guests (and us) a delicious meal. A tin of 4 or 5 good sized portions, locally produced, costs around 6 euro from my Leclerc at certain times of the yearā€¦ and I have seen the same product selling for 19 euro in the touristy placesā€¦ and the tourists snap them upā€¦:wink:

The publicity papers, are wonderful for pointing out where all kinds of products can be bought at excellent savingsā€¦ itā€™s just a question of sifting through themā€¦and perhaps this is something we could be paying more attention toā€¦

OH homes in on household requisites at best prices, like a wasp homes in on the strawberry jamā€¦ (heā€™s a treasure)

As for the wineā€¦well, what can I sayā€¦this is France, after allā€¦hic

Some pensions are taxed in the UK and some arenā€™t. Some UK pensions are also free from French social charges while some are not. Itā€™s swings and roundabouts.

If you are upset about the falling pound, you know who to blame. The 52% who voted for Brexit and the bluffing politicians who encouraged them to do so.

Yes, an economist would try to make the pound weak to encourage exports but the UK governement lacks the power or the resources to do that. It simply cannot force the pound to rise by raising interest rates. Speculators and market forces will just cream off the money that they throw into it.

Unless Brexit is stopped or Britain can agree an EEA-style deal with the EU ASAP, the pound will continue to fall.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I plan to contact them after the end of August because of course half of France is on holiday this month and thereā€™s no one around to talk to.
David Adam

@zircon524

Hi Davidā€¦

It might well be useful to other folkā€¦ to find out how things go with Centre Medico-Socialā€¦without giving away any of your private details of courseā€¦

good luck

Because I could not believe that the UK could be stupid enough to leave the EU.

1 Like

Your State pension doesnā€™t come into it as it is taxed in France. So your personal allowance only affects your UK income (Teachers pensions etc.) Thatā€™s how it works for me. You must declare any UK income on your tax return here so it is taken into account but not actually taxed.

Nearly everybody I talk to in the Finance sector is predicting parity between the pound and euro by the end of the year which will suit those that are selling up and moving back to the UK but no good for anybody who is trying to live in Europe on the state pension only.

1 Like

and it is as well important to check that you are being given the full UK personal allowanceā€¦
HMRC have a habit of ā€˜forgettingā€™ the completion of your France Individual form which can mean that your are not given the full allowance. This has happened to both of us but corrected without argument on calling the UK tax office (who then issue an amended tax code change the pension provider with any overpaid tax being returned in the next payment.

Yes I had to phone the tax office in Nottingham (for overseas) as well at first and they corrected it. They are usually very helpful.

Yes, itā€™s fine for the people who have really good pensions but very difficult for those living solely on a state pension. I have found food prices going up all the time here in France at the same rate income from the UK is falling. Not everyone has a large garden to grow all their vegetables nor can we all live on bread and wine.

The exchange rate has been worse than this in the past and that wasnā€™t caused by Brexit. There are many factors that affect it, canā€™t blame Brexit for everything.

3 Likes

Maybe but there is always a reason and the reason for the current position IS Brexit. If you are suggesting it is something else you really are in denial.

2 Likes