Finally here, what to do now!

I think Mr Alsop needs a health warning too - 'Taking this man too seriously may make you lose the will to live".

To try and add a bit of clarification for the OP:

From your post I wonder if you’re confusing income tax and healthcare contributions, and thinking that it’s paying tax that gets you into the health system. Not so, they are 2 separate things. If you’re accepted into the French healthcare system you will be charged an annual cotisation, based on your income but calculated in a different way from income tax, and collected by an organisation called URSSAF not by the tax office. Normally this is worked out from the information on your tax return but since you’re recently arrived in France and the tax office has no information on you, I imagine that you will be asked to submit proof of your last year’s income in the UK direct to URSSAF, and they’ll firstly decide if it is above the minimum threshold for acceptance into the health system, and if it is they’ll work out your cotisations and send you the bill towards the end of the year. Like many other taxes, healthcare cotisations are invoiced almost a year in arrears, so for instance if you’re accepted into the system next month, you will receive the bill for your cotisations for 2017 towards the end of this year.

Hope this helps a bit.

3 Likes

Thanks Timothy, Saintes is our nearest big town so that is great news !

1 Like

Hi Anna, thanks this really helps. I didn’t realise that they were 2 separate things. Want to make sure we do everything properly so will make contact with CPAM and get the ball rolling :slight_smile:

2 Likes