Food Lovers in France

Thanks so much Sarah. Now I won’t have any excuses about lack of imagination! All I do know is that they will be put to good use.

Hi Gillian, you might have a look at
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Figs&pager.offset=0

loads of yummy recipes there including cracked pepper and fig bread, fig Xmas cake/pudding, fresh fig chutney etc.

Does anyone have a yummy recipe for what to do with a glut of figs. I have a great recipe for fig and walnut jam but need a bit of variety and inspiration!

Does anyone in Languedoc (preferably near Montpellier or Nimes) have a good sourdough starter they’d like to share?

Possibly aliens, Chris… but more likely to be neighbours or other locals who know about the tree! :slight_smile:

I remember last year, before my neighbours moved back into their house, spotting a local chap and his wife busily harvesting bucket-loads of walnuts from neighbours’ tree. I looked at them quizzically and they merrily waved back. It will be interesting to see if they try it again this year now that neighbours are back in residence!

Chrissie, you won’t believe this but when we came home every mirabelle was gone, not even stones on the ground. a raid by aliens is my preferred explanation. Ah well, there’s still the apples, looking at some chutneys…

That sounds good Julia, let us know how it works!

Lidl sell it - it is a lactoserum cheese like ricotta. It is made from what’s left when the curds are taken out of the whey. It is very useful because when baked it has an almost meaty texture, quite substantial. I have used it for stuffing veg - not just peppers but also aubergines and mushrooms, canneloni and in lasagne.

@Julia, it’s a sort of soft cheese. I’ve seen it in the supermarket in pots: http://kitchen-notebook.blogspot.com/2007/08/la-brousse-and-its-uses.html

Mirabelles still a bit firm, will let you know following the harvest!

Did you try it, Chris? How was it? :slight_smile:

Chrissie, that sounds too easy! I’ll let you know how it works with the mirabelles, next year we’ll also try it with the cherries as they’ve just about finished now. many thanks for your trouble.

@ Chris #2

TARTE AUX FRUITS

150g Caster or Demerara sugar
125g Unsalted butter
125g Plain flour
1 tspn Baking powder
1 large or 2 small eggs
Lemon juice to sprinkle
Fruit: Plums (stoned), apricots, cherries etc.

• Put all ingredients (except lemon juice and fruit) into food processor and mix till creamy and all ingredients are incorporated.

• Spoon into lined flan or shallow cake tin. Smooth the batter into an even layer.

• Arrange the sliced or halved fruit over the batter in one layer.

• Sprinkle with lemon juice.

• Bake in preheated oven 180°C/350°F for approx. 45 mins or until done. Timing will depend on size of tin but should be obvious as it will start to come away from the sides.

• If wished, sprinkle with icing sugar about 10 mins before the end of the cooking time.

• Serve warm, with cream, icecream, crème fraîche etc.

@ Chris: Mirabelles make lovely jam. I can’t offer a recipe as I get my yummy mirabelle jam from a local friend and I’ve no idea what alchemy she uses! :slight_smile:

I do have a recipe for a lovely cake/pud though. I’ll go look >>>

OK THEN.
INGREDIENTS
1.5kg blackberries
.5kg chopped cooking apple
.5kg fine chopped shallots or onion
1 tbs salt
.25kg fine chpped fennel
15gm powder english mustard
20gm ground ginger
1ts ground nutmeg
1ts ground cayenne pepper (can adjust this to taste)
.5 ts ground cumin
570 ml white/red wine vinegar
.5 kg soft brown sugar9if not available any will do)
1 small chilli can be added if you like it spicey

Method
Pick and wash berries place all ingrients into a suitable pan and gently simmer for around 1 hour. till all soft and liquid is reduced. This next bit makes the process of removing the pips a lot easier,mind you can never get rid of them all. Use a hand blender and wiz till smoth then pass through a fine strainer or sieve stainless steel being the best so not to taint the fruit.
Put back in the pan with the sugar and gently disolve,then continue a slow simmer for about half hour till it thickens up.Pour into clean glass bottling jars and cover.It can be eaten when cold or left to mature for 2 to 3 months in a cool dark place.Great with all cold cuts

Yes please Bryan! while I’m at it, anyone suggestions for a glut of mirabelles…

I have just finished perfecting a blackberry chutney recipe that i am using with a chiken and ham terrine.As its almost blackberry time and the hedgerows are full of them would anyone like me to post it

Good Morning Foodies,Please will you vote on our picture www.aquitaine.bienvenueaupays.fr,Its the picture with the bunny,Happy Tuesday x www.harveys.fr

Forgot to feed my sourdough starter yesterday, smells like paint stripper today! I’ve chucked half of it and fed it, hope it’ll be ok :slight_smile:

Oh my goodness rustic rabbit with sherry - my man’s two most favourite things to eat and drink! Does anyone have that recipe please?