Food Lovers in France

OH does ciabatta often, never tried bagels though. Love them as David says. Focaccia day tomorrow. That is worth a try, we put rosemary in it and that is fantastic.

Mmm fresh bagels smoked salmon and sour cream.

Making bagels and ciabatta today, both for the first time. Poaching dough sounds like an odd thing to do!

The basse coat was steak thin, about 3/4 inch. I cose it because it had lovely marbling which is why I imagine it tasted so good

Sorry, I was mixing my cotes - was the basse cote cut thin? My boucher seemed to suggest it could be fried, but thin

Not thin H, the plat de cote was about and inch and a half think with a quarter inch of fat.

I'm really surprised but obviously very pleased that your basse cote turned out so well.

I think its down to the quality of the meat...which can be hit and miss the world over...you might have a good source of quality meat...maybe other basse cote could be tough as the proverbial...

Following your mince tutorial, I bought some basse cote and minced it.

I recall you used Plat de Cote??

Anyway, the boucher seemed to suggest casserole, mince or poeler - frying, but in thin slices - was your thin??

I seasoned them with thyme, garlic, sea salt and pepper and a left them to absorb that and a little olive oil for half an hour then I cooked them on a super hot griddle until the blood started to run out. About 2 and a half minutes either side for nice burnt exterior with a rare middle. Left them to rest for 5 minutes then served with a knob of butter on top.

Sublime!

how did you cook it James?

It was gorgeous, one of the best steaks we've eaten and it was only 7 euros a kilo. I will be buying that again!

Very tough. Needs lots of slow cooking in a delicious casserole when it will be succulent and lovely, definitely not pan frying.

I think it's a stewing meat. Mind you, when I asked for mince with fat, the lady boucher had to cut off the bone of a piece of basse cote and mince that. It was delicious and perfectly okay as a bolognaise.

Can I pan fry Basse Cote or will it be tough?

and more baking from The Taste of Savoie kitchen...A Biscuit de Savoie. Originating in the 14th Century in The Savoie, the Rhone Alps region. See a potted history, recipe and photos on my blog.

Taste of Savoie

Brioche de Saint Genis, a Savoyarde recipe with pink praline from Lyon yummy recipe on my blog http://www.tasteofsavoie.com

Taste of Savoie

The confusing thing is i or we have been making Yorkshire puds for 30 odd years now its not working

I use St Delia's recipe with standard farine de blé, 3oz flour, 3 fl oz milk, 2 fl oz water, 2 eggs + seasoning. What counts is having the oven hot, making the mix 10 mins or 10 hours before seems to have little effect.

john, for yorkies i use bog standard 'farine ble' tout usages... available everywhere, 110 flour, 2 big home grown eggs, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 pint of liquid, made up of mostly milk with a bit of water...

hot hot hot pan, fill the individual tine almost to the top...

never fails! I'll post a pic next time we have roast beef

x t