Food Lovers in France

Just read the chicken soup recipe and I know what we will be having tonight. Yum!

The new and exciting restaurant La Table des Trois Chevaliers, in the fantastic medieval setting of Lauzerte, has the honor to invite you to reserve a table for our first Curry Night, taking place on Friday the 19th of October and Saturday the 20th of October.
It would be with pleasure that we would greet you for our evening events.
We hope to see you very soon,
La Table des Trois Chevaliers
05 63 95 32 69
Place des Cornières, 82110, Lauzerte

Where can I share my first Beef Bourguignon recipe?

Anyone discover a new restaurant this weekend that was just too amazing to be kept a secret? Please share :)!

Just added a little picture of someone i am sure you all will reconise,plus someone i really do hope 1 day you will all reconise,a very talented chef robert bates who is the no.3 in the roux brigade and little old me for good measure

Famille Moutier....Thenac....fabulous restaurant...only does a set menu for 35 euros...but you start with Apero's....a bottle of Cassis and a Bottle of ice cold white wine are left at the table..you have as many as you like...with an amuse bouche...2 each of wonderful little pastries...then foie gras with a sweet white local wine....(lots of fabulous chunky bread...)...choice of mains....lamb, port, guinea fowl etc etc....served with three different sauces, girolles, red wine, and ceps......along with a selection of veg and roast tatties served with a couple of bottles of wine...we had two good reds...choice of pudds.....more wine...then the cheese...(I know...t'other way around to what is expected).... the biggest and most gorgeous choice of cheeses....which is left on the table for half an hour!!!! then a choice of liqueur...about 10 choices...with chocolates....and coffee....we were there with two friends...and sat over the meal for 3 hours....outside on a balmy night...cant recommend this enough... we are taking our two adult children there when they come over...booking is required....how great to go somewhere and know you will spend the price of the set meal and nothing more....good value and superb service...

The home made ricotta recipe from Delicious magazine quoted in the SF recipes list is not ricotta it is for want of a better description "cottage cheese". Ricotta is made by heating the whey from cheese making to produce a second curd. That's why it's called ricotta ie recooked.

Yum. Bet it was gorgeous and just the right food for this miserable weather! I wish I'd thought of it and defrosted some mince earlier... lol

I'm glad you like them, Chrissie. Phew! :)

@ Sarah Hague

A big thank you for your Tefal Ingenio recommendation. I ended up with a frypan set - 24cm, 28cm + handle - and I don't think a day has gone by when one or other of the pans isn't in use.

They are brilliant and I love them so much that I handwash them even though they are dishwasher-proof! :] I'm thinking Ingenio wok or sauteuse next but I really need to get a better grater first! lol

Thanks again.

I'm off to Amazon now! :-]

lol I got a box on special off in Carrefour, it came with one handle, the straining lid, a big lid and a plastic lid. You can easily make do with one handle actually and the straining lid is not essential if you have a sieve. It's a gadget - useful but not essential.

Thanks Sarah.

Would you recommend an extra handle, if I buy more than one size of frypan? Do you have one of the straining lids as well? Useful?

Can you tell my finger is hovering over the Amazon France 'buy' button? lol

Hi Chrissie, I use the Ingenio range and find it really good. It doesn't unclip, and goes on the hob, in the oven and under the grill perfectly well. I even cook boiled fruit cakes in the saucepan, from hob to cooker and they don't stick but come out perfect.

I've made some heavy dishes and carried them from kitchen to dining table with no problem. Yep, I recommend it.

Another question!

I'm looking for a non-stick frypan that can also go under the grill and in the oven. Tefal's Ingenio range - with removable handle - is looking good but I wonder whether anybody had an experience of them to share?

Initial questions that come to mind: Is it ok to use them on the hob, with the handle on? Does the handle cope with a decent amount of weight in the pan... would hate to think of it 'un-clipping' half way between hob and oven!

Thanks.

Thanks Terry [and wife!].

Perhaps I should get myself a French husband? lol

@Chrissie. Been doing a bit of research (i.e. I asked my French wife!) and I think to get a filet d'agneau you may have to buy a selle d'agneau and have it boned, which ties in with what your butcher was telling you. No doubt this is why it's so expensive.

@ Steve I don't think there's a question about rack of lamb existing - I just couldn't remember its French name. I talked to the butcher about lamb fillet this morning but the problem seemed to be that either he would be left with redundant, unsaleable offcuts, or I would have to buy a much larger piece that he could then butcher down to what I want.

@ Carol I feel your pain re finding ingredients! I thought the answer would be to use French cookbooks but even those seem to be designed for Parisians with access to better shops than those in the SW. Friend and I are driving up to Agen tomorrow, to visit a neighbour in hospital, and will be heading straight to the Asian store afterwards. I already have a list as long as my arm!