Food Lovers in France

where do I find it? - wasn’t in my local carrefour alongside the sugars
and can i get baking powder and/or bicarb soda in pots - as opposed to piddling individual packets?

Yes, Judy, it’s called sucre glace.

Hi - I bet this has been asked before - but…icing sugar? Does it exist here?
i love making cupcakes etc - so butter cream is a must - or has anyone any ideas for an alternative?

This one I think http://www.france-asia.com/bienvenue.php

There is also hyper asia at lescar near pau sorry dont have the exact address but it is very close to casterama there is also a great fish merchant there that does a great cheap fish lunch

You’re welcome Steve, it’s much easier to get exotic ingredients than it used to be. I also use http://www.alterafrica.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=7445229 who have all sorts of things including Tahini @Katherine!

Meanwhile, we’ll be forming a disorderly queue outside your front door Steve!

Wow - this has opened up the floodgates of really useful information.

Wendy thanks for the link, I am a new member (actually I don’t even arrive in France until next Wednesday) and for some reason I thought it might be difficult to get Thai (sweet) Basil.
Joined a couple of weeks ago and already paying dividends.

Anyone want to pop round for Chicken with Basil or a bit of Tom Yam

You might be interested in these people http://www.aromatiques.com/catalogueepices/catalogueepices.html Allspice is Piment de Jamaîque. They’ll be at the Fête des Plantes in 79 this Autumn and next June or you can mail order.

If you can get to Toulouse, there’s a Hyper Asia
22 rte de Saint Simon 31100 TOULOUSE

and if you can get to Carcassonne you might try
Terre d’orient
zi La Bouriette bd Louis Joseph Gay Lussac 11000 CARCASSONNE

I couldn’t find anything in the Pages Jaunes for Castelnaudary.

I can get tahini at Mondial Market in Castelnau le Lez. If you can find a stockist of international food near you, or a maghreban local shop you should be able to get it there.

Thank goodness for Gillian as I get allspice in England. Either of you know where to get Tahini?

Yes, please do send me your address and don’t worry about payment, just think of it as a fair exchange between “foodies”!

That would be lovely, Gillian, thank you! If you let me know how much (in €) I can send you a check. Shall I message you with my address?

Would you like me to send you some Sarah, I am currently over in England?

Where do you get allspice from Katherine?

Thank you Katherine - it sounds quite delicious and I just love your idea of “lazily removing the stalks” Could you possibly do it any other way in the South of France!!!

With figs in abundance, this chutney recipe is a winner. It is delicious with brebis cheeses and very popular with our French friends and neighbours. Here you go:

Fig Chutney

Ingredients
3kg fresh figs
500ml balsamic vinegar
300ml red wine vinegar
1kg soft brown sugar
zest and juice of 3 lemons
800g onions, finely sliced
2 tsp ground allspice, 1 tsp ground cloves and 2 tsp cinnamon
30g fresh root ginger or 3 tsp of dried ground ginger
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Method
Heat the oil in a preserving pan over a medium heat and then put in the onion. Fry the onion for 5 minutes until it has softened and turned translucent and slightly caramelised.

Add all the other ingredients to the pan except for the figs, then season it with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

While this is cooking, lazily remove the stalk from the figs and cut them into 1/8ths.

Once the liquid has reduced to a syrup add in the figs and cook it for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour the chutney into sterilised jars, put the lids on and allow to cool.

Only just finished breakfast and you’ve made me hungry again!

And don’t forget that figs, sautéed gently in butter, are a yummy accompaniment to pan fried fresh foie gras. :slight_smile: