Franglais Kids

i know the french parent differently to us and that does not bother me, the fact that my daughter had a bleeding nose from being hit in the face and nice huge welts across her legs did not seem to phase them and my poor boy has over 40 WHIP marks across his back and chest and a few drew blood!

Hi Kerry,

Just my .02 and your mileage may vary here.

The overall impression I had when my kids were little is that the French folks around me considered kids to be a different species from adults with their own world and their own concerns. That is not to say that the adults were not paying attention - they were - but they didn’t intervene unless there was blood and/or some really socially unacceptable behaviour. When I sent my ladies to Maternelle, they suffered (the term in French is “bizutage”). I tried talking to the teacher but my husband (like yours) said to let it go. This was their world and they had to learn how to navigate as best they could. I did and they seem to have survived. That said, I am still uncomfortable with what happened and I totally understand your anger. I talk to the girls about it now (they are teenagers) and they take it in stride. I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It’s just so different from the way I was taught - a “good parent” does not allow this sort of thing. That said, I do understand that the definition of a “good parent” (as I have learned over the years) depends on where you are.

Crikey Kerry that’s awful!!! whereabouts are you?? i would tell someone, at least you feel like you’ve done something.
Must have been awful for you.

Wow, just allowed my children to the playground for the first time on their own, they are 7 and 9 years old and the playground is directly across from our home.
My 7 year old daughter came home crying because two kids had beat her and her 9 year old brother with sticks, so i went across to the playground to go and find my 9 year old who was still there, when i got there he was on the floor being hit by 2 kids roughly about the same age, what really made my bloody boil was the fact their mothers were sat there watching the whole thing and were laughing their heads off! I had to just take my child and walked away before i said or did anything i would regret! feel like going to see the local policeman but what would be the point? they would not get involved or do anything according to my husband!

Hi there,
I’ve just joined this group and was wondering if there are any families in my area. We have a little house in Conilhac Corbieres, which is inbetween Carcasonne and Narbonne. We home educate our two children, Elliot 8 and Phoebe 6. We are currently still in our rental house in England but will be coming out in 3 weeks so am very excited. Would love to meet up with any families out there so if anyone fancies getting together for a day out or a brew let me know.

Many thanks
Gill x

I saw this advertised, looks great. J loves CBeebies, my favourite show is Mr Blooms Nursery with all those veggies, if only J would eat them!

Yippeee 100 members on Franglais Kids…welcome everyone!

Almost 100 members on Franglais Kids…

Which is the best children’s book ever?

We need your help.
Can you help us find out which is the best loved children’s book ever?
Please send your nomination and why you love the book(max 40 words) to blackhenbookcorner@hotmail.co.uk. Closing date March 7th and results will be posted on our website: www.blackheneducation.com. There will be a prize for the most original entry.

Kids say the funniest things… years ago when my eldest was about 4 (she’s now 18) and Marks & Spencer still had a shop in Paris we used to go along and get crumpets and such things occasionally as a treat. I used to tell my daughter we couldn’t get much as it was expensive which one day led to her asking whether we could visit ‘Marks Expensive’!

This same daughter at 3 years old also asked ‘Do all Mummys come from England?’ - Her dad is French :wink:

Kids say the funniest things… son aged 10 gets a letter from Nana in UK once a week that includes some articles cut out of the newspapers for him to read - often of funny or cute animals. In this weeks letter she mentioned there were 3 very different pictures to read about and that they were a ‘good reading challenge’ (once a primary teacher, always a primary teacher!) Having read the letter and the article Ed turned to us with a very serious look and said “I can’t understand why Nana found these articles a challenge to read, maybe it’s because she is getting old”.

Kids say the funniest things (thread as requested) …
My son passes me the anti bacterial gel so I can open it, he then tells me it had fallen down the loo (after he had wee’d) so i double checked what he was saying and he said it was only a little bit, so asked him how he wiped the toilet wee water off the bottle he said he used the …towels - for which I had just used for my hair after my shower! YUK…

Any others ? its for the survive france newsletter

thanks everyone - im away at the moment and my hubby only scanned me a page which is like a graph and im not sure what it all means <3

Hmm, it can differ in different parts of France, our evaluation is the new one that has been introduced across France this year from CP, so the marks are 1-4. 1 is the old 15-20, 2 is 10-15, 3 is 5-10 and 4 is 0-4.

Like Wendy says, you need to give us a bit more information so we can help.

Hi Paula,

If you’re still struggling, you can scan it and e mail it to me and I’ll translate it???

hi all -

Just received my daughters cp evaluation results and I have to say I havent a clue what its about, for and so on anyone know anything about them?

pretty pretty please :-)

Hi Suzanne,

We are in the process of devising study packs for younger children,as we have had a few enquiries from parents. I will keep you posted....

@Sue Aitken re: Blackheneducation - Do you provide exercise packs for 2/3 year olds? Similar to what they would get in a UK nursery school?

Xmas Competition for children!

Thankyou for all the wonderful Halloween competition entries! We have finally read through them all have chosen our winners. They can be seen on the website from Nov 27th!!
We have a new Xmas competition…so check out the details and have a go!

We are also launching a new IGCSE English course online. Contact us for further details. www.blackheneducation.com

yes that’s truly terrible. A friend of mine also fell off his bike on the road & was wearing a helmet but sustained injuries to his neck. Without the helmet it doesn’t bear thinking about what would have happened. He bought a new one as the first took a huge shock. My hubbie & I both have helmets & I won’t be letting our kids anywhere without one, even if they do protest that their friends don’t wear them. I also really dislike seeing the youngsters down here wearing moped helmets half on/half off their head. So stupid.