French Healthcare access and social payments

Hi Anna,

Yes the payment of , or avoidance wasn’t my concern. Initially it was i had read people having real issues being registered properly with CPAM into the system and given their Carte.
Now it is a different structure CPAM > PUMA …
The PUMA structure of subscription on the link is fair enough; my confusion is : that there are certain methods quoted for paying cotisations for business types too … which have no resemblance to the way your link quotes and calculates the examples.

Here is a link which definitely quotes social charges at a couple of different rates depending on business method
https://www.rsi.fr/cotisations/micro-entrepreneur/calcul-des-cotisations/charges-sociales.html

What my “guess” was, is that your link to the page on “Le Figaro”, must be for those that are individuals that are themselves employed ( unless employees cotisations are paid by employer , i have no idea on that). I made the “guess”, because i was trying to rationale why there were totally different methods to pay this subscription :smile:

There is no one size fits all formula to enter the French health system, it depends on your individual circumstances. Although the system is fairly new it is very straightforward for an inactif to enter the system using PUMA. I’ve done it. Very easy with no problems. I always delivered my paperwork in person to my local CPAM and had it checked through rather than relying on the post. If you are hoping to earn a living from your gite business that is different but no more complicated, you just need to set up your business in the most suitable regime. Once that has been done everything will slot into place. Finalise what who intend to do in France then look at how that allows you to enter the healthcare system, while you have two or three ideas going around in your head you will not find one solution that covers all eventualities.

2 Likes

Thank you David; yes…i will have to flow with it. Sometimes ( no a fair bit actually)…i like to know part of my path before just stepping into the chasm, and then kicking myself in the shin for being so stupid as to not prepare as i should have done :smiley:

Supplementary cotisations and PUMA main cotisations for an inactive person are only chargeable on capital income over the higher threshold (ie rents, capital gains). A forces pension would never be charged social charges regardless of whether you are a la charge de France or not because social charges are defined as a tax in the double taxation treaty and forces pensions are not at all taxable in France. Each country reserves the right to tax it’s own government pensions. However, the forces pension would be used to push your other income which IS taxable in France up into the correct tax bracket. They do this by adding it to your income and then producing a credit for the French tax generated via doing this.

Thank you Debra, very useful indeed and food for thought.

Hi Tim, I tried to register through CPAM with an occupational pension but not yet of state pension age. There are 2 forms I was told I needed and - along with other documents - I duly presented them to my local CPAM office. That was last November ( 2016 ) and as of now, my registration into the French healthcare system and Carte Vitale has not arrived. I have made several visits to CPAM office and also called the English telephone helpline ( Ameli.fr 0811 36 36 46 ) many times.

If you’re below 65 / UK State Pension age, then you won’t be able to get an “S1” form from UK Dept Work & Pensions but you can get a letter from them saying ( in English and French ) that you are no longer an British resident and hence Britain hands over your healthcare rights to France. Have you got this ? If not, call the International No. for DWP ( 0191 21 87777 ) and they will send one to your French address.

My local office in Bordeaux were pleasant but pretty useless. And they didn’t have anyone who seemed to know this route for under 65s. Each time I went to discuss the progress of my ‘dossier’ it was if I was starting again. Twice they said they had ‘lost’ all the documents and the 2nd time that happened and they said could I bring new ones in again, I told them I could but they ( ie CPAM ) would have to pay for new copies of certain UK documents like my full original UK birth cert. I left and within an hour, they called me to say they’d ‘found’ the dossier ! Surprise surprise :slight_smile:

My advice is to (a) have a copy of everything you hand over ( b) get the full name of the person you see © [ if you dare ] take a photo of your documents / dossier being handed over on their desk with the person you’re giving it to, in the photo as well. ( I tried to do a and b but didn’t try c … though I would if I was doing it again ! )

To bring my story up to date, I turned 65 a month ago and so received my S1. This I sent to CPAM and saw them and called Ameli again. My stuff had apparently been sat in the Nimes CPAM office that allegedly is where the ‘Inactifs’ forms go to. It now needed to be sent to Bayonne ( the regional office for S1 recipients ). It got there and - with more pressure from Ameli.fr English speaking helpline and also a friend of a friend who works for CPAM, it appears that I may be registered in the foreseeable future. 2 weeks … ? 2 months … ?? Who knows !!

I wish my story was the exception and perhaps it is. But sadly the French reputation for bureaucracy is there for a reason. And sadly they often haven’t a clue what’s happening / how to process things quickly and efficiently, unless it’s very straightforward. In this case / experience, I should add.

Good luck with everything in your life … big and small things. Best wishes, Andy