General Gardening chat

Good afternoon fellow gardeners, I have acquired a plant that I love but do not know the name of it-can anyone help??? would be most grateful as until I know this , looking after it is a bit hit and miss.![](upload://fT3SzOnXf3nwDZVkN5KqdlyxbUh.JPG)

Are any members professional gardeners...landscape gardeners?

Living in not far from Bergerac or Libourne? 33/24 region.

I tried that with one. In the end I had to drill holes because once filled with soiled it did not drain well so everything rotted instead of growing. So I took a sledge hammer to it, then an angle grinder to cut away the metal frame inside it so that it was gone. We have a second one that is eventually going to get the same treatment.

Can anyone give me ideas what I can plant in this old "lavoir"?

It's under a bay tree so not much seems to grow underneath.

It gets the sun in the afternoon except in winter.

The lavoir has a solid base ( no problems with root crossing) & weighs over 200 kg so no option about moving it.

I'm in north Gironde

Thanks![](upload://cAEzcMaNU4mXGCRkvPHwnGO2idM.JPG)

I would like to purchase a book of plants that grow ion our new growing zone, Genis I believe is in zone 10. We garden much now, and would like to have a true bird garden when we move. At present we are prone to an English text.

I never bother until sure of the last frost have lost so much money in plants, veg, and seed been soaked, frozen or just rotting in the ground, heard some time back of a guy bought a greenhouse weeks later we had one of our not to rare ice storms all the glass was smashed, last one we had was last July so even in summer the car has dents with hail as big as golf balls from a couple of years ago, last year the veg support frames were flattened with the wind, we had no fruit on the trees hope we do better this year plenty of blossom on at the moment but bees appear to be in short supply where are they, i notice that certain pesticides have been banned as it harms bees

yes, been a terrible winter/spring with a lot of rain (however, that was badly needed to raise the water table back to normal levels) - but we plant in Nov-Dec with seeds hardy to -18 degrees, so they start to grow at the start of winter and then speed away as soon as the weather warms up. Once we reach around +30 degrees they don't like it any more so we have to get our 'soft' crops in early.

Pamela - WOW! Our first lot of seed went bad in the ground and we just planted again on Thursday. That is how variable it seems to be this year.

Picked our first peas of the season yesterday - now the rain has stopped and the sun is out I'm expecting a bumper crop.

By the way I suppose this is only useful if you want it long term, otherwise the other plastic/polythene was ok.

We bought our polytunnel from England in 2005. We didn't know anything about such things but the site we used was excellent and helpful - take a look www.firsttunnels.co.uk (Ithink) If this isn't exactly right the link is on my web site. I digress though - from other experiments with plastic for make shift polytunnel/greenhouse areas we did use another heavy duty polythene (from building I think) but it didn't have the same properties and perished over a couple of years. Apart from the cat's causing damage the polythene we chose from First tunnels was guaranteed for 10 years, you could buy it in the amount you wanted and most importantly, it is still good now after 8 years. Hope this helps!

I would like to have the same feedback as Liz. We have about 8 of the tunnel semicircular frames that were left here and hundreds of cloche ones. I used a lot of small ones from 2010 on and see those as simple to deal with. We also have a well and the pressure of water via the pump is good for irrigation. We have quite a few rotary sprays we use. However we would like to get out at least some of the large semicircular metal frames to erect a tunnel. A kind of door at each end would be fairly easy but if people have experience of the big agricultural tunnels we may have a go this year. So tips and advice would be great.

I`ve been given a small green house frame. It has a rounded roof so looks like a mini tunnel, it has staging already in it. I have large sheets of plastic from deliveries of wood last year. Today I attempted to cover the frame with a sheet of plastic and used strong, woven tape to secure it. Hubby is going to make a door using a wooden frame which will be covered in plastic and use cord as hinges.

Has anyone else covered a frame to make a green house/ tunnel? Any tips gratefully received.

I know what you mean Brian - I did manage to divide and re-plant some cowslips yesterday before the rain, hail and snow arrived but I spent the rest of the time in the safety of the polytunnel - plenty to be done there and with these mild temperatures things are growing early. It won't be long though before everything changes and spring arrives (I hope) and then everyone will be planting out. It's the anticipation (like Christmas) that is exciting :)

Getting planting Jayne? Could you suggest which seeds are best for water cress? So far the last couple of weeks have seen us waterlogged and we are just about at the top of a hill! The little river below us in the valley was bone dry before the snow and is now around a 100m wide in places where there are flat grazing pastures either side at the point where the valley opens toward the main river. I can't even hoe at present, all too claggy.

not much really as garden is a mud patch and rain again today.I was able to prune some clematis and a large jasmin which was blocking one window in the front of the house but what with the worms and the dog and kitten using the lawn as a rugby pitch its not worth doing anything yet

Hiding indoors!

Get ready for planting! I've started some seeds too and propagating is in full swing - what are you up to?

Ah you might be int he background then! It was the episode with Chenonceau in. Yes we have fooled them into thinking we are in the UK too!!

I was at Chenonceau guiding a group of Americans around the gardens of the Loire (Chenonceau is on the Cher, but who's counting!) when he and his crew were there last year.

Must take a look on iPlayer now that I've found a way to fool them into thinking I am in England when I watch.

Too wet to do much outside but I have an attic full of seedlings already.