General Gardening chat

Is there any truth to what I’ve heard that we have to let the Tulip leaves go totally brown before we can remove them because the bulb is getting the energy back as the leaves loses it’s green color. It sounds a little strange to me.

Thanks Jane - saved me looking up what is precisely the same problem here!

May I echo the “thank you?”

I had exactly the same problem :slight_smile:

Thank you Jane … These hollyhocks are my pride and joy in my front garden because they are black with a tint of purple… Fingers crossed I haven’t left it to late to save it …Off to Bricomarche I go …:slight_smile:

its Rust and very common with hollyhocks.Just spray the leaves with anti rouille the same as you use for roses.This won’t remove the orange spots but the new leaves won’t be infected

my hollyhocks have what looks like red eggs embedded in underside of leaves and are curling up and dying. it is effecting hollyhocks all over the garden but it would appear no other plants are affected. how do i cure this problem. thank you

I know it sounds hypocritical, but I do agree with you both,that’s why I said it’s only natural for them to kill, we all do it, man in a big way obviously! that’s why really I don’t want animals as I get too attached, and you are right there are a load of chickens available and these Martens might get extinct, but if they are killing YOUR chickens surely you would feel a little bit like I do it’s only human!

I have to agree with you Julia. It is only natural for the Marten to hunt to survive. You can buy some more chickens, but once the Martens (or any other species hunted in France) are extinct, that’s it.

Well, well, well, I think we may have found out the culprit of our disappearing chickens, have a look at my posting here www.lamaisondesfleurs.com

My sense is that a cross-cultural marriage is, above and beyond the requirements laid down in the “livret de famille” a series of treaties signed over the course of the marriage. Somewhere there is an avenant that clearly states:

Compost. Crazy idea of American spouse. To be permitted by French spouse provided that at least 5 centimeters of soil covers said compost and no neighbors complain.

Chickens are still under negotiation but frankly I think we all have a better chance of persuading Iran to give up its nuclear program than we do of persuading Mr. Ferauge that chickens are an acceptable addition to his menage.

Ah right I can understand then to a degree, shame though! But then we have to compromise with each other don’t we.

This is a man who spent his early life on army bases and chickens (and other things) represent “disorder”. At least that is how I interpret his feelings about this. That’s OK, I have phobias about other things. Ah, the joys of a cross-cultural marriage. :slight_smile:

Victoria, why is your husband against chickens they are brilliant, the times we have had a glass of wine with our chickens they are lovely, the only thing is we had a present of 2 chickens to use for ‘dinner’ but I couldn’t let that happen so we kept them with our 5 chickens (who are layers) but one turned out to be a cock, wouldn’t really recommend a cock as he bites me, but my chickens lovely, just got to keep them separate from your precious plants.

I would do rabbits too if I could get away with it.

You have chickens, Jill? I would kill to have chickens. I have the space by my husband says, “absolutely out of the question, my sweet cherie…”

Thanks Victoria, yes I can see that, thing is all our compost stuff ie kitchen waste goes to our chickies, the fire ashes I do spread amongst the beds anyway. But I know I’ve just got to leave the compost for next year or later on this year and I will ‘pinch’ some of the chickies ‘food’ and I won’t tell them! LOL

Hi Jill,

What I do (and your mileage may vary on this) is I throw all that wonderful fresh manure into the compost and I stir in the fireplace ashes and the kitchen waste. After a few months it makes the most beautiful black smelly humus which I then spread over the beds. It isn’t pretty and my French husband cringes when he sees my hands but it seems to work.

Thanks Mary, yes I thought that, I have some bags of horse manure now ready to go down instead, will just keep the manure for next year. I am a bit late to plant my onions but will be putting the bagged manure on the veggie patch and then plant my onions. You can see veggie isn’t my forte I’m more the flower side of things LOL

Usually one waits a year to spread fresh manure. Ask the farmer how old it is but if it smells strongly, it is probably fresh and will burn your plants.

This has probably been asked before, but I have some barrow loads of manure which has been retrieved from the field next to us which the farmer has just spread, is it too fresh to put on my veggie patch? I need to plant soon, must have some type of fertilizer to put down, I realise its rather late in the day but …

Would be grateful for any answers, otherwise will get a couple of bags of horse manure ready for the garden.