Geraint Davies MP tables Early Day Motion 243 - NEEDS SIGNATURES FROM MPs

Thanks Robert, yes that makes perfect sense.

Hi Shirley,

I don't think that you have any need to worry about your right to return to the UK if you wish to do so. As a full British Passport holder, with full citizenship, I do not foresee any circumstances in which you could be refused entry, as to do so would cause a huge constitutional outcry.

Please may I bring you up to date about a couple of things concerning the permanent Carte de Sejour. Firstly, for some time now these applications are no longer able to be dealt with by the local Mairie. The application must be made in person at the Prefecture, (or sous-Prefecture in certain locations). The fact that you have been told that you do not need such a card is quite correct. However, you are fully entitled to ask for one if you wish to do so, and the rules are clear that the application must be accepted and processed if you quietly but firmly insist. The issue of such a card is a 'right' that you have under French Law. I attach a link to the relevant page of the French Gov't website that explains about how and where to apply, and with what supportive documentation. I would suggest that printing the relevant pages from the website will assist you to overcome any administrative 'lazyness' that you may encounter along the way.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F22116

I agree with you entirely that often the same rules are applied differently in different areas. There is of course no justification in law for this, and often it simply boils down to admin staff not being as well trained as they should be. I find that being well prepared, and politely showing them the relevant info from the Service-Public.fr website, invariably resolves the problem --- even if it may be done a bit grudgingly on their part.

Incidentally, there is no cost for the permanent Carrte de Sejour, although it will have to be collected in person from the Prefecture.

In view of your transport difficulties you may wish to enquire at your Mairie to see if there is a subsidised taxi service for such things in your area. Were you living in our Canton, you would probably be eligible for a taxi by pre-arrangement for just €3 return trip, and our Prefecture is 58 kilometers away !

If you can no longer drive as a result of permanent injuries sustained in the accident, or for some other permanenet medical reason, you may well find it helpful to also apply for a disabled person's identity card. Possession of such a card will assist in opening various doors to you, both now, and in the future.

Good luck.

David Evans please read your comments before signing off. You voted 'Leave' to the question of EU membership for the UK and defend that decision even now, BUT you continue and say " I did not vote to leave Europe" which is exactly what you did do! I am sure you didn't mean geographically so the 'Leave' voters want to leave Europe. I am at a loss to understand and that is why the 'remain' voters feel aggrieved.

Surley "ascribed" David?