Gite and Chambre d'hote Owners chat

In France it's rather simple and straightforward to declare at the Mairie a "meublés de tourisme" or chambre d'hôtes. To ensure favorable taxation, you now need to be "classified", but that costs only about 100€, I think. If you're part of a label like Gîtes de France, then it gets more expensive.
Of course, the city of Paris has been very negative towards B&B's popping up everywhere, surely pressured by the hotel business lobby. The AirBnB phenomenon has added to this. But GdF even have their own brand for this, City Break. Getting an apartment approved is more complicated, since the "copropriété" has to agree, in addition to the Mairie.

I know nothing about the Spanish regulations, but I think the Daily Mail article referenced below smells of sensationalism and unverified "facts".

Naturally, if you're renting out your house "in the black" and not declaring anything to anyone, then you will have problems sooner or later.

Agreed, Krister. Barbara, can you please specify what exactly is this rumour?

This recent post by Vanessa may be that to which you refer. http://www.survivefrance.com/forum/topics/brits-holiday-homes-planned-to-be-banned-from-being-let-out-to?xg_source=activity

Barbara, I think you have to be a bit more specific about this rumour. I can't imagine a limitation on advertising.

I wonder if anyone else has come across the rumour re the

regulation of gites.

New law being established in Spain and landing on our beaches....so to speak.

Apparently going into place and you can only advertise with large companies?

Guesse that it relates to tax and that some second homeowners forget to

declare the income?

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks Krister, that is another point, whether to pay a salary or not. I don't as the business wouldn't really support one - I'm only busy for around 6 weeks of the year :( Apart from the odd night here and then of course. My little town isn't on the tourist map and doesn't attract enough people.

I am certaiun a Siretr no. is not requyired to run a gite.

We were with Gites de France for many years and they never asked for one .

They asked what colour toilet paper we were proposing to use .

What I had for breakfast every day ,and what colour underpants I was wearing ...... but never asked for a Siret No.

It is so difficult getting the correct information, I think everyone should go to the Hotel de Impots / Tax Office, Entrepreneur Dept, We where informed ALL /any income in France will have or should have a Siret No, so even on the smallest amount you require to pay your Cotisations on, but maybe even the staff can vary with the info they give you.

We are the same as Leslie Charles Dunstan...

We are registered with the Mairie, and run three gites.

Our income is declared under the 'micro-entreprise 'scheme .

We do not have any clash with local hoteliers .

We have several friends who run b&b's ,correctly registered ,and they have no clash with the local professional hoteliers either .

"Cotisations pour formation professionelle continue" is based on the number of employees with salary. Our accountant told us that since we do not pay salary to ourselves, we are not concerned.

When registered we are obliged to pay cotisations for training. I have been contacted today by an agency that is offering on line language training for those paying cotisations. Not of interest to me since I can find that free anyway. But has anyone taken advantage of their cotisations to benefit from free or reduced cost training? If so, how does it work?

Hi
I totally agree with Krister, if you run a small B&B welcoming guests into your home you can just declare the income as a complementary one, if you’re running a business with 5 rooms plus gites and it’s main income as ours is, quite normal to be registered as a business and to pay the dues…which are high but I can’t understand people thinking that they can just use the French system without making any contribution to it.
A happy guest house owner

"Guest hour owner loses hotel fight". Why is it a big deal?
If you run a B&B plus gìtes as a main source of income, it is a business and a business should be declared, as a minimum in form of auto-entrepreneur.

Sorry, that came out very garbled, need more practice at "copy and paste"!

Guest-house owner loses hotel fight
November 07, 2013

HOTELIERS in Dordogne have won a court battle against a guest-house owner – with the B&B owner being obliged to register at the Chambre de Commerce as a business.

- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Hotel-guest-house-bed-and-breakfast-competition-tribunal-business-15190-view-article.html#sthash.lmERfnfC.dpuf
Guest-house owner loses hotel fight
November 07, 2013

HOTELIERS in Dordogne have won a court battle against a guest-house owner – with the B&B owner being obliged to register at the Chambre de Commerce as a business.

- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Hotel-guest-house-bed-and-breakfast-competition-tribunal-business-15190-view-article.html#sthash.lmERfnfC.dpuf
HOTELIERS in Dordogne have won a court battle against a guest-house owner – with the B&B owner being obliged to register at the Chambre de Commerce as a business. - See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Hotel-guest-house-bed-and-breakfast-competition-tribunal-business-15190-view-article.html#sthash.lmERfnfC.dpuf

Hoteliers in Dordogne have won a court battle against a guest-house owner - with the B&B owner being obliged to register at the Chambre de Commerce as a business. Here is a link to the full article:

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Hotel-guest-house-bed-and-breakfast-competition-tribunal-business-15190-view-article.html

Units share the same elec supply but have individual meters and we've already tried extenders and cpl and these haven't worked without ethernet cables 10m long! There are 'hot spots' around the house which are fine in Summer but in winter I tend to get people working in local factories (duck) and they need internet access to get their next job. I've had a few companies in to provide quotes for installing either huge dishes outside or small antenaes inside (as in hotels) but none of them have ever given me a quote. And some of my sejour clients (learning english) prefer that there isn't wifi throughout for health reasons. Difficult!

Do the units shared the same electricity supply? If so you can buy wifi boosters that use the electricity Cable. For phone they either use skype or if you install a phone line like orange, block calls and they can buy a phone card from the tabac with which they use a code. Or have an all you can eat package and you check their monthly useage for calls outside of that package online. Take a deposit in advance just in case.

Hi everyone, Hoping for some advice. I have a large stone galet built house in a town centre with independent units that I rent out by the week during high season and up to 90 days during winter and spring. However our internet doesn't reach into the units and I have never got round to installing seperate phone lines. What does everyone do to provide a phone/internet service in their letting units? How do you organise the billing to ensure you are not left with a huge phone bill? What provider gives the best service for such a usage? Thanks in advance for any and all advice :)

oops forgot that you include the cost of the rooms... rather than just a service which i do!

Yes it does. Thank you.