Have you made any really good buys that make you happy?

What was the best gadget that you bought in the last year?

Mine was mocked by my wife, my Dad didn’t say much and only my Mum had faith, but, when I used it, my gadget purchasing MOJO and reputation was fully restored. Oh ye of little faith,

I bought something very simple and inexpensive, but, it saved me
a stack of time,
needing a helper,
having my chainsaw running for as long,
and a bad back from bending down so much.
It also made it worthwhile cutting thick sticks that I wouldn’t have done with a chainsaw one by one.

http://arrows-uk.com/bulk-stand-horse-chainsaw-p-696.html

I just stack it with logs and thick sticks, trim down the ends, three more passes with the saw and I have two barrow loads of wood all cut to the same length.

What did you acquire that you’re really pleased with?

5 Likes

Satnav. I’d be lost without it…

2 Likes

Earphones for my OH… so that we can both enjoy watching our dvd’s…without him asking for the volume UP and me asking for the volume DOWN… cheaper than divorce :innocent:

3 Likes

Hi Ray,

That device looks interesting.

My back is always knackered, as I saw very close to the ground, with the logs leaning on another log.

Will check out your recommendation.

Cheers

Martin

Bodum thermos travel mug, makes my daily commute to and from work bearable. Used from dawn until dusk…

2 Likes

Hi Martin,
here’s a picture of the rack in action if it helps give a better idea of size. The main thing here was trying to use all of the small pieces of wood that will still burn but were too small to cut individually.
It also saves time with big logs as you don’t need to keep stopping to slide the log along as you do with a regular sawhorse

1 Like

I made my own, similar saw horse and is a great time (and back) saver. But I have just bought a chainsaw mill, very cheaply imo, not used it yet but should be able to make my own timbers, planks, beams etc. Don’t quite know what I’m going to do with them though . Might make a very small soapbox for Mr Bentley to stand on.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: !!! Mark, you are bad!! :slight_smile:

Thanks Ray,
The pic and the explanation is very helpful.

Normally have loads of smallish bits of wood left over which normally means I’m knackered by the time I get through them.

That device looks very helpful.

Many thanks for your response.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, how can you say that about Mark? If he was bad he would have said gallows :wink:

1 Like

Ray, Mark’s suggestion uses less wood which is more cost effective for my tight budget.

Also, as a totally ‘wet Liberal’ I’m not too excited with the system you hypothetically suggested, plus it’s way out of my carpentry skills would make dangerous for everyone… :slight_smile:

Martin

Sorry, been away on the naughty chair. I was going to start low and get something to build on and up​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

I am a chef and all chefs love their toys. My treat this year was a sous-vide machine and the water bath to go with it. I love, love, love it.

Yesterday we went to the Caves de Vieux Pressoir in Meursault in the Cotes de Beaune and bought loads of wine.
This morning we bottled 160 bottles between us and then had a lunch of pizza on our terrace in the sunshine.

2 Likes

sounds interesting… shall have to investigate…:relaxed:

1 Like

sounds a great idea… hic…:wink:

I used to cook professionally in UK before we came to France and a sous vide machine would have been useful then. Do you still cook professionally?

1 Like

I have invested in the Cobb supreme BBQ, which cooks with very few coals, and is quick. We have done potatoes round the edge in the moat, which were perfect too. I am in love with it!

1 Like

I bought these:

(with batteries) and put them up in the barn, so that we could get to the log pile without stumbling in the dark with a torch for fuel for the fire.

When one light senses your movement it switches on and the other is wireless and automatically connected so it turns on too.No additional electrical wiring required

Loads of light from two LED reflectors each and 4 D-type batteries keep them powered for a year.

This appeals to my geeky gadget mentality and is practical, too!

4 Likes

I love my Spiralizer. Have always loved pasta but with this gadget one can make “noodles” out of courgettes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, etc which is great for cutting down on fattening carbs.

3 Likes