Have you made any really good buys that make you happy?

That makes a lot of sense, Ray! It’s my first chainsaw and I was very nervous about using it, probably the right frame of mind for a beginner. I read the booklet about ten times until I could recite it by heart from memory. I also bought the gloves, the trousers, and a face-protecting visor. And had my wife standing by with a tourniquet (well, I exaggerate there but she stays within screaming distance).

Having used it to cut three steres of well-dried 50 cm logs with it I now have a healthy respect for it and am friendly terms.

I’ve got a fabricated steel cheval I bought from a German supplier for under 20 euros and it serves very well though it was very fiddly to assemble and handles were missing (I got an unwanted hydraulic piston thing, I think it was the result of a kind of delivery bran-tub disaster somewhere between Bavaria and Normandy). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pete

Drones are totally banned in this area – stops me buying another gadget!! :smiley: :smiley:

I love a bit of chainsawing, it is wonderful to see a direct result when you put some effort in.

WOW, what area do you live in?

Came across this the other day. http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/interviews/aydin-buyuktas-drone-photography-105859
Something to aspire to Lee? Amazing photos but I wonder how long it will take before they become ordinary. The moment you do something unique people start copying…

1 Like

17kms north of Oloron-Ste-Marie

1 Like

Oh dear, you’re in a NFZ. strangely my club fields at the local airports are too but can fly there OK. I’m North of you near Marmande and Bergerac airports.

Thanks for the link, some trickery used there methinks :laughing:

One of my old favourite buys. Perfect on longhaul flights. Perfect for listening to music with no background noise from Dyson etc.
They don’t make this model anymore yet I’m sure the newer ones are better but no I won’t be upgrading.

My new toy just out today is from Lidl.

If anyone wants one, move quickly. (You can get it with your halloumi if there’s any left tomorrow.)

It’s the Lidl / Beurer version of the Bite Away. 15 euros. Current prices seem a lot more usually. Just tried it on 3 insect bites so far. Seems to cut the sting nicely. Works on bites and stings (remove any barb the insect left, first). Any relief will do.

Being a female I am much more tasty than you blokes for insects. I got eaten alive last summer. If this little gadget just out today keeps working it may stop another itchy scratchy summer.

Even better, no sign of getting it in Lidl UK. For now it looks like it’s just us in France and German Lidl too so far as I can tell.

Not a “gadget” per se, but it’s making me grin from ear to ear every time I play it! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

PS The Lidl Insect Bite Zapper out today does come with batteries so operational immediately.

All the Fiskars and Wolf Garden stuff I’ve accumulated over the last decade or so. Not cheap, but utterly Ronseal…

Great old thread!

I’ve always wondered about this, how long do they last? Do you do them with proper corks? How much is the ‘kit’ to get set up?

Actually not necesarily true. My hubby has ALWAYS been terrible for getting bitten by every thing, particularly mossies. When I was doing my nursing degree they spoke about vitamin B levels being involved, if you have OK vit B they like you less than if you have low vit B. He started taking them as a trail and within a week had all but stopped being bitten! We were living in sub tropical Queensland at the time so we had lots of ‘proof’ flying around as well! Perhaps you are a bit low (most women are) so really worth a try for a/ the bites and b/ your energy levels!

1 Like

The bottler belongs to our friend. We buy the corks and re use the bottles.

1 Like

Our ex neighbour who was a bee keeper gave us this advice regarding bee and wasp stings.
Heat the back of a teaspoon to as hot as you can bear it on your skin and put it over the bite.
It destroys the venom.

Gas bbq & griddle.
No more mess!

The Lidl device out today seems to be just what you’re saying @Jane_Williamson . Just a bite-size ceramic plate that goes over the insect bite and uses its batteries to heat instantly.

@toryroo thanks so much about getting my Vitamin B levels up so the insects won’t bite as much. I have therefore decided to munch through my remaining 4 or 5 Vegemite jars that I was hoarding. Will have to hope it will be possible to replenish when they’ve all run out by the end of summer. But to be bitten less than last summer will be worth the sacrifice

A little warning from my personal experience: if your vitamin B levels are too low, it’s not possible to increase them by food consumption alone. Injections are the only thing that will get you to the level where absorption from food is possible.