Health Insurance. Is it really worth the high cost?

The French are a nation of hypochondriacs who believe in medicine, even the unscientific homeopathic cures. I never take medicine unless I have good reason to believe that I will die without it and I resent like hell having to subsidize people who have to visit the doctor every time they sneeze. So I don’t have a mutuelle.
Those suffering from all the most serious illnesses, cancer, heart problems and the like, don’t have to pay anyway and if unless you pay a fortune in premiums, you won’t get much back for glasses and dentistry. So I reckon that the money I have saves over the years will more than cover any minor things that I might have to pay for. It is also works as an incentive to eat and drink sensibly and take regular exercise - if the enjoyment of good health isn’t incentive enough.
My wife does have a mutuelle and if you decide to follow that route, you could benefit from her experience. She noticed that, having tempted her to join with a competitive rate, they were putting up her premiums every year by what seemed like an excessive amount. When she threatened to cancel and go elsewhere, they were very willing to offer her a better rate. But you have to watch them, they will rob you rotten if you don’t keep complaining.

We have wondered whether our Aviva Mutuelle is worth the money. I justify it for the following reasons:

Phil has had cancer and is diabetic, so most of his treatment is covered 100% and the Mutuelle just pays for foot cream. However I have no on-going treatments. If one of us fell down the stairs and broke a hip (which became quite a high risk as Phil demolished the balcony last week) then 80% of the scale charges would be paid by the state, with the Mutuelle funding the rest. Recovering in the local convalescent home with physio would also be down to the Mutuelle. 20% of a sprained wrist isn’t much to find, but 20% of a hip replacement or treatment for a stroke might be substantial. Also, as UK citizens we are expected to fund ourselves without being a drain on France. So we pay the Mutuelle.

However, when we became UK state pensioners I understood from the local office that our healthcare would now be cross-charged to the UK. I assume that this relates to the 80%: we expect to be treated as French citizens are, and they have to pay the 20% so why shouldn’t we? Does anyone know what the UK pays? If we are still liable for the 20%, the Mutuelle funds it. If the UK pays it, do we need the Mutuelle?

Hi Diana

I think the basic idea for us UK pensioners is that whatever the French Social pays out…that is crossed-charged to the UK (through whatever channels). However, the bit that the French Social does NOT pay (whatever percentage that may be)… we have to pay out, ourselves :face_with_head_bandage: …and this is where the Mutuelle steps in. :relaxed: