High Court rules Government cannot trigger Article 50 without parliamentary approval

They are sadly deluded and haven’t yet mastered joined-up thinking.

3 Likes

I saw this today which I thought was interesting:

2 Likes

There appears to be quite considerable hype about this, as far as I understand our system the vote was a guide which has to ratified by Parliament.

The referendum according to the terms on which it was based is a gauge of public opinion, no more than that; for the majority opinion of the people (whatever it may be) to become enacted as a law it has to ratified by act of parliament, anything else is mob rule.

2 Likes

Where will you go then? In the arms of the Chinese Japanese Russians Americans?
These are so mad . mc Donald suing Florence for refusing to allow the implantation of their fastfood restaurant.
Russians are bent on recreating their empire.
The remainers fabricate cheap goods which last two weeks and ruin European manufactures.

Yes Geoff, IMO Idiots is a good description for anybody that thinks the UK is as important to the EU as Hard Brexiters do.

I don’t think there has been such a thing as a British car Geoff since the seventies, are all your cars classics?

Hi John your right, I think Morgan is the only manufacturer British owned. We have British built cars, three Landrover’s and Two Lotus’s.

I’ve a Morgan myself Geoff. She’s great fun and there’s an active branch of the French Morgan club in PACA.

Of course the UK can SURVIVE outside the EU, but will it be BETTER off outside the EU.

Even though the UK has not yet left the EU, or even given notice that it intends to, growth is down, inflation is up and the value of sterling vs the USD and the EU has crashed, without the corresponding increase in exports due to a falling exchange rate.

We need to see what will happen when, if, the UK eventually triggers Articvle 50 and how this deal that Theresa May and her 3 Brexiteers will negotiate compares to the UK being in the EU.

Will Boris Johnson, Michael Gove et al deliver an extra £350 million a week for the NHS, Michael Gove is now saying that £450 million a week is available. Are there FACTS to support these statements?

1 Like

This comes as no surprise… now we must hope that each Member of Parliament is allowed to vote without duress.

2 Likes

Another misinformed loser I see. the referendum was NOT advisory, it was a vote on whether we leave the EU or not. See Camerons statement and I quote "“And when we have negotiated that new settlement, we will give the British people a referendum with a very simple in-or-out choice to stay in the EU on these new terms; or come out altogether. It will be an in/out referendum.” Take another look at the ‘Battle Bus’ as you call it, it DOES NOT state £350 mill will be paid to NHS when we leave the EU. Google it, I assume you know how to use Google. There are pretty pictures of the ‘Battle Bus’ read the slogan.

Presumably the details of the lawful meaning of the referendum is what was in the Referendum Bill rather than what was quoted at the time by individuals. Now it may be that either the Bill was worded differently from how prominent people were commenting on it at the time. The Judges will only have considered the wording of the Bill.

I personally would be more accepting of the judges findings if they were impartial, as I understand they were pro European with financial interests in the EU.

As opposed to those who are anti-European, with financial interests in the EU (i.e. property) and who enjoy all the benefits of living in the EU (free movement, reciprocal healthcare) and then vote to leave the EU. Right…

1 Like

Quite frankly I am appalled that the Government and so many of the public did not know/understand the legal procedures to be followed after the UK Referendum… ie that Parliament would still need to vote…

I am not the brightest political person but, even so…I knew this, as I had taken the trouble to investigate… hence the High Court ruling came as absolutely no surprise. I only wish the Government had not wasted public money (which is sorely needed elsewhere).

2 Likes

Read my post, I said ‘IMPARTIAL’ one who has no real interest either way.

I was reading recently that legal procedures were’t followed when UK joined the EU but no one went to court over it.

Hi Lee

There is a lot to read on every subject… and lots of versions on a theme… there are facts and alternate facts… life need never be dull :slight_smile:

2 Likes