How to - Polish a concrete floor

Good question, I would be interested to hear what you find out.

Just wondering how a resin would stand up to that, I think I'll try emailing a couple of the manufacturers and see what kind of response I get. Cheers.

Not done it on underfloor heating, certainly possible though.

I think you are spot on with the resin seal James, as you say not cheap but so easy later on in the life of the floor, was thinking of back door area and dining room. Have you done this over under floor heating or not ?

wow that is a stunning floor. Love it. I asked about Concrete floors and was told it would be around 100 euro per m2 - way out of my budget. I think it is great you guys are talented and can do it yourselves - my hubby would not have the patience to do it (and I am like a bull in a china shop so there's no way I could do it!)

Ok James thanks gives some direction to go on, great idea. Catherine just yep,me too !!!!

Here is a pdf on the subject of topical and penetrating sealants for concrete floors and worktops.

http://www.cement.org/decorative/Concrete%20Countertop%20Sealers.pdf

The sealant you choose will depend upon the application/area and will affect the aspect of the concrete. A topical resin will make it shiny and plastic looking but it will be super hard wearing. A wax penetrating coating will leave it looking for natural but will require regular re-application.

Roderic, one of the pads is actually a resin that impregnates the floor making it harder and sealing it a little. I did add a second sealant eventually, a topical 2 part product from Bricomarche which was sufficient fot the bathroom. When I do the kitchen it will need to be very well sealed though, spillages will stain it easily Especially wine, vinegar etc. I may use a resin coating for that, not cheap tough.

I want your fridge!

James when do you seal the floor,is it as normal when all the work is finished if the floor needs it of course. And Peter I like your version, you've both got the brain going with this. I feel a project coming on

Victoria has more patience for this type of work......![](upload://ibEvmXTe0AENBIjw9Y3EjduHP4J.jpg)

Two words... one exclamation mark... "Ultimate Respect!"

We bought two different colors of concrete paint, and a giant stencil pattern at Leroy Merlin. Apply base coat, let it dry, then paint the stencil design gingerly over the base coat. Seal it, done.

Yes, it's a Miele, fortunately due to the American size of it, the store was unable to sell it, so we picked up a nice, nice deal on it.

That look great Peter, how did you do it? And where did you get that fabulous fridge?! Is it a fridge?

Here is a picture of the look:

We always liked a concrete floor, this time we decided to stencil it, after staining.

Thought this might be of interest to you @jacsboswell :slight_smile:

Hi James

Thanks for the information, I think it’s a wee bit too technical for us and I think we are starting from a different point

Maybe at some time when you are over this way, I wonder if you could take a look at our floor and point us in the right direction. Obviously we will pay you for your time

Cheers

Jacs

Jacquie Boswell
(0033) 05 24 37 60 87
(0033) 06 19 48 74 37

1 Like

Just left you a VM :slight_smile: See you tonight