I'm thinking about moving to France, but can't speak french

John - I didn’t have any problem understanding what you meant. I guess people read things different ways. Although I don’t always see why they have to point out what is in fact their own mistake. I could write more but probably least said, soonest mended. Stick around, perhaps us other “newcomers” understand where we are all at rather than those who have been here for a long time and forget what it’s like to have to find your feet.

3 Likes

Ok guys - I’m feeling the vibe :slight_smile:

Let me try and tackle this ‘issue’ another way by asking a question and maybe prompting some reflection…(i.e. I don’t need answers!)

When you lived in the UK as a UK national (if applicable!), how often did you go to ‘immigrant’ gatherings, events, social occasions, celebrations, quizzes, curry nights, dances, gardening clubs etc?

And, if you didn’t - why not?

For me it’s not about being newcomers - it’s purely about behaviour.

It also depends where you live / lived in the UK. I grew up in 1970’s multicultural inner London and thus went to shit loads of ‘immigrant gatherings’ - I suspect someone living in Corfe Castle at the same time may not have had the same opportunities. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Catharine, you would not want to go to any sort of gathering in that part of dorset, believe me we spent the best part of 20 years living in that area after moving down from the midlands.

Ha ha - I spent lots of childhood holidays there and have very happy memories but I imagine living there is another thing!!

Thanks Dave…Beginning to think everyone was ganging up on the new kid in school !

I lived in Swanage for several years. In a word, brilliant!

Hi everyone,
Thanks again for all the contributions.
Redjohnboy seams to have stepped on a tender spot. As for myself I will be taking people as I find them and will be considering all advice on it’s merits, and I am happy to receive advice from any and every quarter. As for playing saxophone at the Palace of Versailles, I’ll schedule it in directly after The London Palladium and the Carnegie Hall. Whats wrong with bead festooned savages, I am one, and why did the conversation change to Wales, directly after that. I love Wales and have spent a couple of summer in Tenby.
Thanks again to everyone who took the trouble to post, and hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

2 Likes

Hiya I haven’t plowed through all the responses but I would say two things… best to do it yoursef and learn French as you go along BUT if you need help I can recommend John at www.PLEASEHELP.FR who for 30 euros a month will help you with all documents Notaire/Marie/insurance/utilities/tax authorities etc and will also make phone calls on your behalf. I did it all myself but caved in trying to make an insurance claim when my French was just not up to the Telephonbe conversations. John and his team were brilliant and we pushed through a very difficult claim on Buildings Insurance for 30000 euros,

1 Like

Wales?

@JN1954 John I somehow suspect you’ll be just fine :wink:

Let us know where you end up. If you’re close enough I might even scrounge some Saxophone tips, I need all the help I can get!

My wife and I purchased a farm in France in 2004 and moved over in Jan 2005, Neither of us could speak any French at all, our estate agent helped set up Bank Accounts etc and then it was down to us. We use online translation software to help initially until we could start speaking some basic French. Within 3 months we set up a successful business which continues until this day. When you move you will most likely be contacted by a number of British people and just like this forum you will find some helpful and some not, some will allow you to lead the life you want and some will try and tell you to lead the life they feel you should lead. You will meet people who say they want to be friends for no other reason than you both speak the same language and if you were in the UK they would not give you the time of day. Just like in the UK, you will meet some nice people and you will meet some bad people be they British, French, Dutch, German etc etc etc… If you really want to move and live in France then just do it, because if you do not, you will regret it for the rest of your life. The decision may be the right one and you may be blissfully happy here, but it may be the wrong one and you may spend years wondering why you ever moved here…only time will tell…

10 Likes

Agree with Simon and Mike on this. Some of came out here in the dark ages before internet forums and help groups etc. it really was sink or swim back then, no super easy auto entrepreneur status either, it really is a piece of p1§§ now, you’ll be fine, John :wink:

4 Likes

So did I, it’s a wonderful place. On a side note have you seen what they’ve replaced the lovely white beach huts with (the ones just up from the Mowlem) !!!

I haven’t been back for a very long time. Building and later dismantling a friend’s beach hut were two very important days on the calendar.

Hi Mike,
What kind of sax do you have and how long have you been playing?
I’ve been playing for less than a year, but am really enjoying it.

Mike? Strangely I have been called that before. A couple who I used to know always referred to me as Mike when talking about me to each other, I really don’t know why.
I have an Alto Sax. I’ve only had it for three years but did have lessons on another woodwind instrument before that. I play it for my enjoyment.

Hi everybody,
With all the contact I’ve had from you guys I already feel part of a community, the response has been really great. I’ll let you know where I end up, but I don’t expect it to be before August. I’ll probably start up a couple of other Threads regarding House tax and Tips on buying a house.

1 Like

John… don’t forget to check out the Threads that been done already on buying and taxes etc etc…

There’s a lot of info to be found…using the Search facility…:wink:

2 Likes