I'm thinking about moving to France, but can't speak french

Bonjoir Ann,
I have only seen a little of Charente Maritme and can understand why you would want to live there, and like most places on a French coast that are close to a large city, it will be expensive in comparison to ares far away from the cities.
What is FB?
I guess the people at the Boulangerie must have thought, “she doesn’t like her bread chewy, then”:dizzy_face:

“Pouzolles”
What does that mean?

That is the village I’m in John

I had a look on Google, It looks really nice, But I was surprised to see snow!

Yes I’m very surprised too. Although saying that I think it snowed in neffies nearby in 2009

I want to live in UK and am off the first opportunity!

Hi Leonara

What part of the UK attracts you, why, and do you have a job to go to ?

Of course only respond if you want to, but where do you live in France and why do you think the UK will be good for you ?

Whatever, it’s always important to follow your dreams and try to live as you would like !

Bonne chance !

Manyana’s previous posts have shown that she has never been happy in France or with the EU as a concept. I would have been surprised if she had written anything else.

Ok David, I can understand that but my questions are really valid. What does Leonara think that she can find in the UK that will be so different to her life here ?

We are in Europe at the moment, for good or bad, so to my mind if you really want to escape that then you have to look elsewhere.

My French friend’s daughter ( late teens, early twenties) has lived in Australia and New Zealend, that is really making a change. I have to admit that if I were a lot younger then I would like to try life ‘outside of the box’ that is Europe !

My daughter worked in the US, Brisbane and Singapore before settling in London and one of my sons is currently in New Zealand for a year. I do wonder if either of them will ever make the move permanent. My other son was keen to follow his chosen career in Europe but after Brexit that will be a lot harder to achieve.

I have a house in East Sussex that I am going to move into…sadly OH will have to stay here until this house is sold. Not intending to work as I am retired but will do voluntary work as did before at week-ends and evenings. I much prefer the weather in UK, hate the hot summers here, miss family and friends and most of all I wasn’t a granny when I came 15 years ago. I live between Levignac and Cambes, Lot et Garonne. Also I don’t find the French here nearly as friendly as the northern French…and I am not the only one as I have a French friend from the north and she feels the same.
This for me is not home and never will be although OH would prefer to stay!
Of course there is always the great variety of shops too!!! :slight_smile: Living here, I feel as if I may as well be living on Mars!

Horses for courses my dear! Would not do if we were all the same and had the same tastes!

I have no desire to escape from Life. I have lived in Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England as well as France. However, France IS different in major ways…I was accepted in all my previous places of residence but certainly not here. I particularly like the SE of England and of course with family there is makes it mega attractive to me!

Exactly. I worked near Mayfield in East Sussex for a year and hated it. Luckily I managed to escape to the Bournemouth area and be able to breathe and enjoy life again. You have just confirmed that what I said before, France is not for you. As you know from first hand experience it suits some people very well. What I don’t understand is why you didn’t leave before.

1 Like

I have not left before because my OH has had 2 strokes and I wasn’t keen on leaving him on his own. I said to just leave this house and move back…he doesn’t want to leave the house empty…as soon as it is sold he will come over…I am going to have to come back and forth until it is sold. It is not for the want of trying to sell the house which we built 10 years ago and it is on the market for 100 thousand euros less than we have paid for it. I will be sorry to leave the house as it is a very comfortable home and I will not be able to buy anything as nice in UK. It has geothermal heating which is the best thing ever and of course anything I buy in UK will not have this type of heating/cooling system(very economical and clean and environmentally friendly) in the UK What I fail to understand is why people say they will never return to the UK and continually slag the country off. There are many good things about the UK just as there are good things about France, but France is just not for me…much too insular!

It isn’t necessarily difficult moving to the ends of the earth if you end up somewhere where you are among like-minded people, it can be very complicated indeed if you end up somewhere where you have nothing in common with those around you, and that can happen to you moving a tiny distance in your home country, whatever it may be…

2 Likes

Used to love going to the Irish pubs in Kilburn, Willesden etc.

Hello John.

We bought our holiday home in the Creuse area of Limousin last year, so we know of an English-speaking notaire who could help with a property purchase.

Also we were introduced to some expat ‘artisans’ - builder, plumber, electrician, etc. who have carried out extensive renovations for us. As they have lived in Limousin for a long time they are familiar with the area and have been very helpful in explaining to us different documents, e.g. tax habitation and fonciere bills, etc.

As to not not speaking French we havent found it a problem - the local people are very warm and friendly and if you just attempt a few basic words with a smile this pleases them; they may not be able to respond in English but we generally get by ok.

Hubby and I are now taking evening classes in th UK to supplement our school French, and are looking forward to trying out some new words and phrases next summer - previously we would have been too nervous to speak any language other than English!

Let me know via this website if you decide to go ahead with your move, and I’ll forward you details of the people we know.

Good luck! Kind regards, June

1 Like

Hello June,
Thanks for the info and the encouragement, I hope you both enjoy your time in France. I am still looking at the moment, but I was there for a few months last summer and my French has improved from absolute zero to nearly absolute zero, Most of the french people that I met were very friendly and I will continue my search in the new year.
Thanks again for the message.