Is it just me, or are French pharmacy prices enough to make your eyes water?

The old ones are the best!

Go to bio-oil.com a great product for Helen's specific use!!

Good luck

Glen we are also in the same situation with our 4 dogs our old girl is on Propalin also on seraquin with Metacam on standby for any sprains etc @ 64€ for 100ml from the vets, which online vets supplyer gives Propalin i thought it was prescription only, the cost of food is also so overpriced with 4 large dogs we get through 15kg per week so we have our own sent from the uk order in bulk from the manufacture and save over 1000€ pa, medication for myself is more resonable with 6 lots of meds @28€ plus i get the refund from CPAM

The difference is that highly expensive drugs in the UK are also given out on prescription at £7.85 so the cheaper ones subsidise the expensive ones.

As I suffer from migraine, I too get free paracetamol each month in addition to a specific migraine medication.

Most of the Bergerac Pharmacies are staffed by delightful people - when I go in (fairly often, we seem to get through a lot of plasters/antiseptic/hay fever stuff/ cream for dry skin) they always load me up with samples and freebies eg nuxe travel kits or beach bags with sun stuff in them... most shops seem to give you freebies as a matter of course, I even have a marble & wire foie gras/cheese cutter board from a supermarket and a picnic coolbag with glasses plates cheese board knife & corkscrew from another (the cheese counter seems to be freebie-land!!).

:)))))

It's a shame, as I always loved going into a Lloyds or similar for my prescription and buying a few goodies - talc, body lotion, essential oil......there was always something nice to tempt you......

average salary of a french pharmacist

46 662 € gross / year

http://www.salairemoyen.com/en/salarybyjob-france-446-Pharmacist_if...

Yes, Helen, I find almost every pharmacy item in France is ridiculously overpriced because of the refusal of pharmacists to use generic products. I ask for "produits generique" or I buy mine online from UK suppliers. I avoid boots though, as they are the dearest and they refuse to pay their fair share of UK tax.

We could also ask for free use a a pharmacist's swimming pool to offset our investments?

Another one to throw into the mix......

Like the UK, there are a number of meds that you have to pay for as they are prescribed, but not free, if that makes sense.

I understand that things like cough syrup will be right on the top of the list due to the sheer volume of people who use it.

However, I find it strange that a med I take for back pain is now on the "pay" list, and yet, I can still get 30 carrier bags of paracetamol for free, and presumably others do too.

Would it make more sense to charge for common meds like paracetamol and leave the more specialized meds on the "free" list?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but it does seem rather strange.

Our local pharmacist says there is no logical reason for dropping certain free meds, there are additions according to the whim of those who decide he reckons.....

Hiya Helen, I have noticed that the drugs I used to get on prescription in the UK, which were all at the prescription rate currently £7.85. Have rarely been more than about 3 or 4€ here in France. Perhaps I'm just lucky ? But it does occur to me just how much do the Pharmacies in the UK make with prescription charges ?

I would agree,

but then found that Voltarene Emugel a brilliant anti-inflamatory-antalgique is half the price of the UK equivalent Valterine.

As an American, I agree with Whitney. I was on a treatment for HepC and forgot my medicine when I went to France. The cost of the drug in the US was 2300 Euros versus 700 Euros in France. Luckily my insurance carrier in the US paid 70% of the 700 euros.

I also use fold up walking sticks - even those are double the cost here!

I imagine a lot of French people "get" med they need by getting prescription - we have all seen them staggering out with a few heavily - laden carrier bags.

I was well out of the habit of "asking the doctor" in the UK as so much stuff was well under the £6 or so that the prescription charge was back in the day.

Doubtless it is down to the differences in the way the UK/ French health systems respectively work I suppose.

Online pharmacies in France are very competitive - I now ask about the stuff locally and then buy it online. I would prefer not to, but there it is.

I have got an enormous scar on my tummy going from hip to hip and up to my belly button (a giant smiley ) and my Kine told me to use Jonctum creme and also Argile Blanche (white clay) but the powdered kind that you mix up yourself and it works really well. I don't find it too expensive and I ordered it from my local chemist.

I get various supplies from Chemist Direct: www.chemistdirect.co.uk

Well worth a look for all sorts of things, esp skin creams of various sorts. I bought a tube of hydrocortisone cream, just had to click on an on-line declaration that I'd used it before, wouldn't use it on my face etc.

I spent 46€ on some 'must have' cream for my daughter's excema - needless to say it is still in the cupboard un opened !!!!

My son's favourite eczema cream is Dermalex - he reckons it's better than some of the very expensive brands we've tried. Unfortunately E45 never worked for him.

We used to use Vaseline during sex.....we put it on the bedroom door handles to keep the kids out!!

Undoubtedly but with La Roche products you get what you pay for. They're good. My daughter has quite bad eczema and uses E45 but says that in her experience the French pharmacy brands like Eucrin are much, much better. But much, much more expensive.