Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

I've yet to encounter such altruism Shelley.

Jane I'm sure Nissan and BMW management encouraged a remain vote, what their employees voted is a different matter (turkeys and Christmas comes to mind). Both companies will downsize as a result of Brexit, as will Honda, Toyota, etc. The World class engineering firms, for example those clustered around Silverstone, will survive but they employ comparatively few folk. After a record 2015 the UK motor trade is in shock. Imports now cost more and exports face new tariffs.

I predicted riots before the vote if leave won because none of the various sections of leave voters were going to get what they thought they were voting for.

Well yes Shelley a lot remains to be seen and a few things have been seen!

My French friends, my doctor and the artisans who work for us all think that it

is crazy that Uk is leaving the EU.

Mr Puttin is a very happy man. The division of power and the diversion of Brexit allows

him an easier path.

From my heart....I love to remember and cherish those days when simple British things

would make me happy and it would be wonderful to hold on to them. My head rules.....and

that is why I am here in France.We ....each and every one of us has to search for a place and

a way to build a life which gives us opportunities and comfort. But we do it alone. It is our

decision and our journey. People on SF .....most of us have made this decision to move from

UK but we do not have the same family associations in UK or the same financial landscape.

Absolutely Andrew. Sorry, my post was not directed at you (always found your input to be pertinent, reasoned and balanced) - confused.com by the thread system on SFN whilst using my tablet!

Perhaps, like yourself, I have a foot in both camps so can more easily appreciate both sides of the debate. Quite agree that some are naïve to think that they can cherry pick and share concerns that we may well end up with some sort of "plaster-effect" which will please neither camp in the end. Hope the politians can step up to the mark!

Indeed, one of the positives I see is that the UK (rightly or wrongly) has been a thorn in the side of the EU in the eyes of my French and German family / friends. Afterall it was their "dream" and perhaps now they can move towards a more united europe without the UK standing on their coat tails! The impact on me either way is likely to be minimal - I have options and do appreciate that not everyone is as fortunate as myself in that respect.

What I was trying to say was that here (France ) everyone seems more able / willing to discuss and debate rationally rather than reverting to the "you don't think like me = you are wrong and so I will feel free to fire insults and accusations without listening". (This is not levelled at your goodself btw). Is it cultural or due to the teaching of philosophy in school, I wonder? Just musing.

☺ playing devil's advocate here - but wouldn't it be nice to think it were true?

John, particularly as the European Court of Justice is nothing to do with the EU.

Shelley, talking to our French friends they are desperate because they cannot see anyone who will be a leader in the next general election. There does not seem to be discussion, rather complete agreement and fear of Marine le Pen, who will take them out of the EU.

That would be a double whammy for us Brits living here in France!

which is why it should now be voted in parliment. A 60/40 majority should have been a minimum for such an important decision to be left to the people.

I think the real danger is if the right can't oust Sarko. Hollande didn't win the last présidentielle, Sarko lost it. If they put Juppé forward as presidential candidate then I think we (France/the country) will be OK. Fillon is capable but hasn't got the support and won't get it at that level, I don't think Copé is up to it and hasn't got the image either. I hope Hollande stands for reellection so there's no competition from the left, Valls and Macron are seen as the next generation but perhaps not quite ready and whilst hey continue to squabble backstage and neither seem to be as tuff as they were thought to be - putting them into powerfull position has diluted their image and played into the hands of Hollande :-O

Barbara, as you so rightly say Putin couldn't have wished for a better scenario, as a Europe divided makes it easier to carry out his aggressive policies.

Although NATO is our umbrella for European safety, we are now in the position of Donald Trump saying that the USA will not come to the aid of certain countries and I am sure that there will be hard feeling from some of our European partners within NATO.

The EU was also set up as a bastion against another war and many people seem to have forgotten that.

Andrew, whilst Juppe has been seen to do wonderful things for Bordeaux and is obviously capable, what a choice to have to make.

Do they have to elect someone who managed to only be banned from standing for public office for six years, when for almost any one else it would have been for life, because they are the only one capable of saving France from economic disaster?

Exactly the same conclusions drawn here, over dinner, at the weekend!

I think I've been here too long an simply accept that straight politicians simply don't exist here, it's in the blood/culture so yes why not if he's the man for the job ;-)

Europe isn't any more 'divided' now than before the refendum Jane. As you say NATO is 'our' umbrella and the 28 member states include countries like Poland, Latvia, Estonia et al.

The fact that the UK is no longer in the EU will make little difference to Putin or whoever.

Andrew, Hollande has already said there will be a leadership election at the end of the year to decide the next PS candidate for the General Election. Hollande has always maintained he would not stand for re election if the unemployment figures keep rising. In any case he won't be the next candidate, his popularity is at an all time low for a President.

Question is, which Republicain will be the next President ? Sarko,with his love-hate relationship with the French public thanks to his alleged dodgy dealings seems to be gaining territory on Juppé and the others and the French people are very susceptible to being drawn like lemmings to follow him. I hope it's Juppé but the up and coming Republicain leadership election will give us the answers.

How do you feel about ciggies being sold in Monoprix Andrew ? (no bad language please !)

I was listening to an interview with Michael Heseltine on the BBC yesterday and the reasons for his resignation over the Westland affair came to the fore. He would have been a wonderful Prime Minister, his ideas for regeneration were way ahead of anyone else. The latest special Cabinet Meeting called by Theresa May along the same lines gives one hope that the North/South divide will really be addressed.

With regard to honest/dishonest politicians the to do over MP's Parliamentary expenses and duck houses fades into insignificance.

It grieves me to say, but you may well be right.

I disagree there Peter. Putin is an opportunist and whilst Europe has it's eye elsewhere he is likely to use it to his own advantage.

I know that's what Hollande says, I'm not so sure he's going to go that easily and he could easily massage the unemployment figures at just the right moment to justify him standing! As for the right - we think alike.

Don't get me started, we're on the verge of an almighty battle with the FDJ at the moment (behind the lines - I don't thnink the story will get out) and the battle with the current govt (read marisol touraine) is on going, now they want to increase tabac a rouler prices by 30% !!! As for monoprix - is this the thin end of the wedge? not sure, the whole concept is a bit weird and normally there are no more "création" of new tabacs, that said they just need to buy another and move it (the maire has to agree the move, used to be the douanes, but mono prix could buy any maire they like!) My brother in law moved his tabac a few years ago after countless burgleries and attacks, he went from a small tabac-presse to number 1 in the Aude, with good connections he built a new one next to a filling station on a zone commerciale.