Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

"Massage the figures" !!!!! Are you implying politicians are less than honest ??

Re - ciggies, all I can say is i'm glad I packed up smoking in 1986 !!

Exactly it Jane!

UK itself is deffinately dividing....not just europe.

It is no longer just as simple as voting in an MP it is about

lack of acceptance, intolerance and uniting to banish people from the country.

In turn people will experience the very same in other countries.

No figures, no quotations but a realisation.

II always liked Heseltine. I remember after he was shafted Spitting Image (remember that?) represented him as bound and gagged on the back benches.

For the majority of Brexiteers it's a call for controlled immigration, nothing more. Maybe the UK is divided, so what's new ?

Shelly, I think that may be because if one is French or German the debate is somewhat academic, if one is British then it's much more relevent to one's future prospects.Thus the more passionate nature of the debate in the UK. It's the difference between a chicken and a pig's involvement in a full English breakfast. The Chicken is involved but the pig is committed :-)

So whats new Peter? Before it was a fracture...perhaps...but now it is now

a dislocation....much harder to repair...so my vet tells me.

Andrew, I hate cigarettes. My dad died at 56 from lung cancer and I am asthmatic and have to be careful walking fown the street as those merrily puffing away do not realise that the smoke they are producing is one of my triggers.

I think that the time will come when tobacco will be totally banned.

Quite interesting that when Australia adopted a points system immigration actually rose.

Also Australia has been criticised as being inhuman in its treatment of refugees.

He said that his legacy is not anything political but the arboretum he and his wife have been planting for the past forty years.

I think that he will be remembered and, perhaps, brought in an advisory capacity for his ideas on urban regeneration.

A friend of mine has a rather lazy son in his late twenties...

Doubt if he had more than a few pennies to his name....but he got into Australia

several years ago....still there...legally.

I don't dispute the effects of smoking, as I don't those of alcohol which are far worse when you add all the social/violence problems it causes, to the health ones. The current changes are just rediculous and will be ineffective. Better education is needed that's all. Anywhere between 25 and 50% of all tobacco smoked in France comes from elsewhere, legally or otherwise, some of the ontrafaçon is far more dangerous than the cigarettes I sell. And if I weren't selling them, somebody else would so I don't have a problem with that. We lost my brother in law at 49 and are in the process of losing a friend in her early 50s to cancer. It's a horrible thing but caused by so many things that we ignore/are not told about - living amongst those lovely vineyards is a death sentence for many, to name just one problem which is now very well documented but constantly hushed up due to the economic interests involved. funny old world, most of the human race are like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed on $hit, France is no exception! :-O

It is an intractable problem Andrew. There will always be those who are prepared to take the risk of counterfeit items when the tax on genuine items continues to rise.

We deliberately chose not to live in amongst of the vines of the Maconnais because of the dangers of sprays due to my asthma.

There is also the saying "as happy as pigs in shit" . Many people just do not want to know if it will cause their food to become more expensive.

You could say that they are happy to buy their bacon from unhappy pigs on concrete.

And then you have the mighty KFC.

Or the Piri piri houses.....

Oh well I live by the vines and some of the growers/vine farmers are really old!

And then you have the mighty KFC.

Or the Piri piri houses.....

Oh well I live by the vines and some of the growers/vine farmers are really old!

??? And the price of fish is ..... lost the thread, sorry

price of fish varies....sardines or turbot?

But there was a melody about English breakfast and I went on to

mention 2 great British dishes and, have just realised that one is American and the

other Portuguese....NO 3 would be a good 'curry' adopted and adapted by Joe Average.

Just being a liitle less serious....

and all.

Hazardous vineyards, Andrew ......not heard about this....Is it pesticides ?

Oh, I'vejust seen from Jane's post, it is.....What a shame......

A few weeks ago took a late afternoon drive (minus sat nav) and ended up in the fabulous countryside around Montbazilliac.....Fabulous undulating far reaching views across a multitude of vines.....breathtaking.....made me wish I had my camera with me....

Yes was in Saussignac last night.

We had dinner at a Pop up restaurant in the garden of a vineyard which

is owned by British people who produce very decent wine. The chef

and his lady were working hard and building a little empire for holiiday

makers and residents alike. They were all having a great time.....including

those who were working. The question of pestisides....well something which we need

to look at closely to find all the answers.

Not Patricia Atkinson by any chance?

No Jane ....I think that she may have sold a while back.

Suprisingly....or may be not there are a number of Irish and British owned

vineyards in my region.

Not sure what would happen to these British adventurers if they were 'sent home'.

Politics aside ...what an emotional turmoil this Brexit thing is!