Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

Absolutely.

Patricia Atkinson is one of my heroines. A feisty woman indeed.

I am not surprised she has sold up. She turned her Clos into a fabulous wine single handed. She deserves time off.

I think I will dip out of this conversation now as it no longer seems even remotely related to the inital question!

yep it's still wringing of hands about the Brexit result. I imagine the original poster (can't remember who it is) has long since snoozed off as we are so far off course. Could we perhaps have one Brexit thread to wrangle through the whys/wherefores/whoevers/whatevers, etc., in order that other postings and threads stay on track and true to the original subject?

Sandy, one of the joys of SFN isthat we can wander to and fro from the original subject.

Pity the poor pensioners, Interest rates down yet again due to Bre it.

Ah but Jane, Strong winds blow umbrellas inside out. I haven't Heard that Nato has done much to help anything lately. It's supposed to be have a PeaceKeeping Force.

Ooh I Never could stand crimpleme then still don't like now, was and is so old fashioned!

Diana in hopes there are many others like you and me who research, look and listen for themselves - tonight Thursday 4th on BBC News ch 200, programme called HardTALK at 8.30 - talking to MP Frank Field - he's well worth watching/listening to, I saw it at 5.30 am this morning! Especially with regard to Labour Party Divisions re Jeremy C.

He was one of the most calm and reasoned politicians I've heard in a long time considering I'm a non party political voter!

Andrew, in the 2.5 yrs Ive been in this village, not many discuss politics openly here, but of those I have had conversations with, like us here on SFN do like to express their views and Hollande is NOT 'populaire' here. Some even say they'd like Sarkozy back again! They don't or didn't want Le Pen, but that was before the migrant crisis and the terrorism here. The murder of the priest especially has so shocked France hasn't it?

Like me, the French say they are Catholic - also like me not that many are regular church goers, but our local Church had its front doors open all day last Sunday, presumably so people could go and light a candle and pray in memory of the priest. That thought has only just occurred to me as the reason the doors open, if I'd thought about it Sunday I would have gone myself. As for Sarkozy standing and or winning in next election, who knows now?

Jane a PS to my last reply to you - remember it's "an ill wind that blows no good" if I've remembered that old saying correctly

To all.....now my pics on here - why is upside down? I haven't a clue!

Was it taken in Australia ?

Peter I was certainly good at head stands - now? I'm not so sure - but haven't lost my GSOH I'm pleased to say.

Sandy, it was Daisy, James & Catherine's daughter, who posted originally. I only know that because both have said so not long after discussion started,

As a youngster she probably wanted to know what other and older expats thought about BREXIT or it was a college project for her. However Good on her for the enterprise in posing the question. She's probably now, as you say either snoozed off, or collapsed with boredom caused by us, gone off to enjoy her summer holiday and fish elsewhere! She gave us the bait and we took it, well done Daisy for your enterprise.

As an aside I don't believe it! A notificTion just popped on up on iPad - George Osborne been made a Companion of Honour I believe it said!

I do think its mainly the expanse, views of mountains and landscapes that bring many of us here. There is so much more room to relax and be laid back in our mentality , as rural French people are in the main and yes I always carried my camera with me Hilary.

I cant speak for those who live in large towns or cities, but yes the state of the economy here is hitting them all, along with the terrorism and now greater fear of the Unknown to come? This to all - As for politicians, who amongst them in UK or France can be totally trusted again or anymore? When younger I used to be told that with age comes wisdom.

Now I'm older, with hindsight and experience I'm not so sure about the wisdom - certainly have a cynicism in me I didn't have 20 years ago! I was more pragmatic then than now.

We love the Clunysois. It is like the Cotswolds but on a larger scale.

The cows are white, not sheep. Less traffic, wonderful views and now wonderful friends.

That looks uncomfortable Shirley, can you feel the blood rushing to your head ?

Yes the space and the climate was a major factor in my case, plus the desire for a new life, a new kind of experience, to do something different, now that I had a degree of freedom and self determination which I had lost.....a need to get back intouch with oneself......

I have made some mistakes through this process, but I don't regret the decision to come here and I have no desire to go back to pick up where I left off in the UK, despite the fact that I have a nice group of friends who also are also ex-colleagues. We keep in very regular contact through emailing and toll free calls, so I don't feel that I have lost them and in future there will be visits both ways. In fact, once I am abit richer through receiving my state pension (which by rights I should be getting now), I intend to do as much travelling, seeing more of the world as I can afford .. making up for lost time....

Yes I live in France. Playing Russian roulette? No, I don't think so, I expected upheavals - you can't change something that's been in place for 40+ years overnight without big waves. But I think the long term future for the UK, and for Europe, benefits from a common market with common interests but NOT a common political entity. One size does not fit all! However, history will prove one side or the other right ... at the moment the Remain group can say "oh look, pound's fallen, political parties in tatters, etc." but that's a short term hiccup in my view. Long term, ten or fifteen years from now, I genuinely believe we will all be better off.

Hi Sandy,

I absolutely share your outlook/sentiments......Short term financial stability/currency rates were not enough to persuade me to continue to be governed by such a deeply flawed 'family' (with all the connotations that has, making us offers we can't refuse) and give up even more, basic freedoms with the probability of eventual further political 'turmoil' because of the position that the EU has taken over countries like Greece...and Turkey...and the migration crisis...

Jane & Barbara,

I don't think that Brexit will make 'a ha'p'ath' of difference in terms of 'trouble at 'mill' with Putin. We are still part of Europe, Nato, etc and co-operation through the normal defence organisation routes and we will be 'nimbler' being more independent.

Hillary are you sure about all this!

Mr P does not play by the rules.

We are indeed still part or europe but .....telling Europe

to get lost....