It is essential that you declare any accounts and investments held outside of France

Business Paypal accounts most definitely need to be declared - my Paypal account is Luxembourgois !

Here you go, this is the judgement I was thinking about

1 Like

Having read this article, I contacted Graham Keysell for some further advice. He was extremely helpful - responsive, professional and practical. I would highly recommend Graham and his team in the event that you find yourself in need of tax and investment advice.

1 Like

I was also very nervous about filling out my first tax return and Graham very kindly talked me through what I would need to do.
He was extremely helpful and patient.
thanks Graham:

2 Likes

I recently contacted Graham for some guidance on this subject. I received a rapid reply (the next day) to my email, offering simple and clear advice which was very helpful,and which enabled me to tie up a few loose ends. If you have any questions which may not be covered on this thread so far,I suggest that you get in contact with Graham for professional advice-I’m certainly happy that I did

1 Like

Many thanks to Graham for his advice on declaring bank accounts. He emailed me promptly with all the info i needed to make sure i do it correctly. Will defiantly use them again.

Thanks Graham for this advice, I’m in the process of declaring my small non-interest UK acount using the info you sent me and thanks for clearing up a few other cross-channel issues, really helpful.

1 Like

Very scary.
I have been declaring my UK bank accounts for years. But not names and addresses of providers of other investments, such as ISAs (though I have been diligently declaring all income (interests and dividends etc) from these and my few shares. But I had not thought of shareholdings and premium bonds (!) as “accounts”. Though I have supplied details of Assurance Vie providers - as these were explicitly requested.
Obviously I will try to put this right at the earliest opportunity
 I suppose for the shareholdings I can declare Equiniti Shareview as they maintain my modest portfolio, and NS&I for premium bonds. But do I need to declare Equitable life for the AVCs for my company pension? And surely not the occupational scheme itself??
the more I think about it the more potential €1500 x 3 there are!!
Thanks for the warning

1 Like

Just to say a big thank you to Graham Keysell for his generosity in providing all of the information and copies of the forms to enable us to provide the ‘Fisc’ with details of our UK account. He was also kind enough to confirm that we can still submit a paper return as we are not at all confident in doing anything ‘on line’, particularly in the french language.

We would recommend that if you have a problem - drop Graham a line - He is more than happy to help.

2 Likes

And yet the ns&i website says quite cleary

Thanks for this, Dan.

To clarify re paper return, it is the ‘MinistĂšre de Finances’ site which states ‘Si vous estimez ne pas ĂȘtre en mesure de dĂ©clarer en ligne, vous pouvez continuer Ă  utiliser une dĂ©claration papier’. Yiou migght want to keep this message in case your tax office is unaware of the Ministry of Finances’ decision and wants to check!

Best regards,

Graham

Hi Graham and thanks once again - We recently received our 2047/2042 forms and an explanatory form 2041 from Direction Générale des Finances Publiques headed

‘La declaration des revenus 2016’. The first paragraph on this form is headed ‘Declaration vos revenus en ligne’ and says that if revenu for 2015 was more than 28000 euros and you have an internet connection then submit your return on line. This is followed by the following sentence “Toutefois, Si vous estimez ne pas ĂȘtre en mesure de dĂ©clarer en ligne, vous pouvez continuer Ă  utiliser une dĂ©claration papier”. Hopefully that would reinforce our decision to make a paper return.

Regards

Dan

Dan
 I, too, can confirm that “the ordinary man in the street” can still do the paper ones
 I go on-line, but have friends who cannot handle it and so opt out
 no problems.

This on-line thingy has caused a great deal of concern amongst folk
not everyone is nifty. I’ve done it for some years, but still have to follow each page very, very carefully
:wink:

Thanks for this, Dan.

Makes things even easier for me to explain (to the many clients who don’t have the faintest idea when it comes to understanding French!).

Best regards,

Graham

Hi Everyone

I too would like to thank Graham for such a quick and helpful response to my questions regarding this and another issue. Everything I needed was sent and I am now about to go and see the jolly tax man with my completed forms. Great service given cheerfully!

Ria

1 Like

Hello - new here. Apologize if I’m not replying to this the correct way, this message board interface is a bit confusing.

Can someone please confirm if you need to declare foreign credit card or line of credit accounts? or does this only apply to savings/investing accounts? Or, as is common in this country, nobody really knows so it’s best to be on the safe side and declare everything under the sun?

Hello Stephen,

No need to declare credit cards (only the bank account, if they are linked to one). I’m sure a line of credit would be viewed as a ‘loan’, which wouldn’t be declarable either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Graham for the quick reply. Perhaps best to declare the line of credit just in case? I have to admit the information provided by the OP has left me slightly, shall we say, terrified of committing an oversight.

Hello again, Stephen.

I still don’t see the need for this to be declared, but ‘Better to be safe than sorry’, as they say! Having lived here 25 years, very little surprises me and each tax office has its own rules. For the sake of taking 5 minutes to declare this, it would give you peace of mind.

You would describe it as ‘CrĂ©dit renouvable’ on the 3916 declaration. Example attached (apologies for the terrible handwriting
)

Best regards, Graham p.s. If you’ve found this helpful, don’t hesitate to post a favourable comment on the Survive France site. They all help!

ab 3916.pdf (784 KB)

2 Likes