Join a fun cycle ride in June for Cancer Support France!

This year’s event supporting Cancer Support France (national) is taking place 22 - 25 June in Occitanie - and it’s free to take part!

The event takes place over 4 stages over 4 days - and you can join for just one day or more …

This is definitely not a competitive event so you don’t need to be an experienced cyclist! It is a super relaxed and highly enjoyable way to discover an amazing part of France, have a lot of fun, meet some lovely people and support a great cause all at the same time.

The route takes you from the famous Cité de Carcassonne along the beautiful Canal du Midi through to the port of Homps. From there, you cycle through some magnificent landscape along the Canal de la Robine to the Roman city of Narbonne. Following the Canal down to the Mediterranean, you can then cycle along the coastline to the port of Sète - also known as the ‘Venice of the Languedoc’.

If you don’t have a bike or it’s too far to travel there’s an amazing CSF deal on hiring one (yes even an ELECTRIC one!). CSF volunteers are also on hand to help with transport to and from accommodation - please email admin@csfcycleforlife.org if you would like some more information or advice about taking part

To register visit Cycle for Life Registration form

Looking forward to seeing you there and a fabulous few days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAE6eQkn8X4&feature=youtu.be

3 Likes

Is there a map showing if there any climbs on this. I don’t know if I could manage too many hills :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t have anything very technical by way of a map - but I can tell you that it’s canal paths and then coastal paths so extremely flat (or I wouldn’t be doing it that’s for sure!) :wink:

1 Like

I am very tempted to take some time off work to do it.

2 Likes

it’s as flat as a pancake, Stuart :wink:

2 Likes

It’s definitely flat - and a delightful part of France to discover on two wheels! :relaxed:

1 Like

Are you up for this Stu? I’m going to see if I can make it.

1 Like

@an_droo can I do this with my road bike do you think?

Ummm… OK I’m passing this answer on from road cyclist @Miles_Barrington who is more saddle-experienced to advise! “Yes, if you are an experienced road cyclist, but you won’t be as comfortable as on a mountain bike”

From the bits I have cycled on my ancient VTT there are some sections with tree roots (Day 2) - but the last 2 days are definitely OK on a road bike because they are mostly paved or tarmac with just a few gravel patches.

1 Like

I woould think you’d be better off on a VTT?

1 Like

I’m looking for accommodation and it’s not easy. Do you think you all have to stick together. eg I found something 10k further on from Homp. It’s not going to be easy finding dispo?

I’d do it on a vtt if I were you, not really a question of comfort, more boredom trying to ride a road bike built for going fast over smooth surfaces rather than a mountain bike bimbling along with the rest chatting and not having to watch for every bump, stone, root, pothole in the track :wink:

3 Likes

I think there are options Stuart - even if the B&B /campsite is a little away from the start/end points the CSF volunteers are there to help transport people/bags/bikes from accommodation to the cycle route. Funnily enough I cycled from Homps to Argens today … :smiley:

1 Like

I think you’re right @an_droo - and I think I am a natural ‘bimbler’ :wink:

2 Likes

Oh Annette,
I would so have loved to do this. I love cycling but I’m not a competitor! I have a little apartment in Montpellier which I rent out but I try to get over as often as I can. I’m going over next week for a few days but I won’t get back for the end of June unfortunately. I’d be grateful if you would keep me in mind if other things of interest come up in the area.
Good luck with the cycle!

Helen

1 Like

Hi Helen - what a shame you’ll miss it - this one is definitely not a competitive event!! CSF will be holding other events in September during their month of ‘Activity for Life’, I’m not sure if they’ll include cycle rides though - the details have not yet been published.

I can’t make it either unfortunately, prior arrangement :frowning:

Sorry to hear that James… good luck with your Pru ride though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there any costs involved after registration other than lodgings and food Annette?

No Stuart, you will need to drive/train to and from your home to the town where you start/finish, but volunteers will help with local transport to/from any accommodation you’ve booked for the overnights.

I think the only cost option is to order a CSF T shirt.
Sponsorship and/or donations are also optional.

Lunches are being organised for the food stops but if some people prefer to take a picnic that’s fine.