Little or no internet access, what to do?

Sorry I forgot to quote you on the reply. Look one thread back.

Hi Mark,
We never use the RCEA around Verosvres, we are just off the Route Touristique, the D17, so use that if we go to Charolles.
I don’t know Lavau, never mind the British couple.
We have a fabulous view, that is why we bought the house.

Hi

Lavau is 1.5 km West in a straight line from your B&B (I guess it is your B&B on google). There are quite a few British in the area but never met any personally. But that is not surprising given there is an English estate agent in Charolles. LOL.

You certainly have picked a fantastic spot for you business. If you are reading this, have a holiday in this area. It is suburb. Especially if you are a cyclist.

We always use the back route (D17) to go to Cluny and the ‘route de la morts’ for Charolles & Paray.

I have just found Lavau on the map It is in the commune of Verosvres. I think I may have met the wife on my travels.
There is also an English estate agent in Cluny, Sud Bourgogne Immobilier.
We picked this spot because it is so beautiful and have been delighted how welcome we are.
This is our website.
www.relax-in-rural-burgundy.co.uk
Other people must lime it too, because we only have one week left unbooked this summer.

Yes it is fabulous spot. Like I said earlier, that is where the family of my wife is from. I think they were the founders of the hamlet. Our kids were christened in Verosvres.

Yes I spotted your website on google when zooming into the map.

You only have one week left to book in the summer !!! That is very impressive.

You mention on your website that Lyon is only an hour away. But Besançon is 2hrs and Grenoble is 2.5 hrs. Both doable for a day out from your area if you wish to visit a very very different region of France when on holiday. Start at 8am and you are in Besançon or Grenoble for 10-10:30. Spend 4hrs and back by 5pm.

Perfect place to explore France !!

We have a lot of Dutch and Belgian visitors. Easy for them to drive straight down the A6.
Good for us too as they leave the place spotless.
Mail me when you are in the area.

Where we are Orange can do 500k (excruciatingly slow) and we don’t even get 3g, let alone 4g.

We’ve gone for Satellite Broadband. Using Tooway we pay just under £30 a month for a 25gb download allowance. It’s fast enough for streaming and comes with a UK IP address (so you can use iPlayer etc.)

It’s not perfect. For a start it’s not cheap. You have to buy the dish etc. up front (or pay increased rental) and get it installed (though I managed to do that myself.) You have to get used to a slight ‘satellite lag’ and sometimes it slows down if the satellite gets busy.

But it is significantly better than the other options currently available to us.

It’s worth considering.

However, if fibre ever comes this way we’ll switch in a shot.

Hi Simon, those are incredible speeds. I’m shortly going to be moving into the house I’m buying and I’d be really interested in getting this. Bouygues’ website tells me my new address is eligible, but I want to double check with them directly (sometimes these searches aren’t too accurate).

I’m trying to contact them via Live Chat, but they’re never available. Couldn’t get through on the phone either today. Assuming I am eligible, can I just ask you how far in advance I’d need to contact them? Or is it really simple - i.e. they just send you the box and nothing else is required? Do you just plug in and go? Thanks.

Lindsey Hi - if the Bouygues website tells you you’re eligible for the 4g box then you are! You could also double check their 4g coverage maps.

And yes the 4g box is absolutely plug and play - the only thing you need to do is set up your appliances to connect to it. Hey - you have a no quibble 30 day trial so nothing to loose! Delivery for me was 3 days and the trial starts once its activated (turned on!).

1 Like

Excellent, thanks Simon. You’ve got me very excited :grin:

We are 6.6kms form a 4G mast but with clear line of sight from the roof of the house. Using a Free 19.99€ pm SIM with 100GB, a Huawei B593 router and 2 Poynting antenna fixed to the chinmey we get 90Mbps download.
Hope this helps
B

Good one Barry - in fact I looked at the Free sim option with a router but I have IPTV so the 100GB per month restriction was a no go. Bouygues 4G Box is unlimited usage.

Hi Simon, I’m happily installed in my new house and up and running with my Bouygues 4G Box. Just wondered if you’ve had cause to look into whether Bouygues does any kind of booster for the box. I have another house close to the main one and need wifi in this house too
 but the signal does not stretch from main house to second house. I’m hoping not to have to simply pay out full price for another 4G box subscription, so if you have any know-how on available options I’d be very grateful. Thanks.

how far away is the second house
??

Hi Stella, it’s only about 5-6 metres (external wall to external wall, so a few more metres to where the router is situated)

I sent a question to Bouygues, but have not received any reply
 and I haven’t yet managed to find a phone number so I can ask them directly.

You need to use an ethernet cable from the main router to a wireless access point in the other property.

Thanks Jonathan. The main router (the Bbox) is in the main house, so I’d need to buy a WAP for the other house and a sufficiently long ethernet cable, for exterior use, to connect the two? I didn’t realise such a cable was an option!

Hi Lindsey and glad the Bouygues 4G Box is working for you - love mine!

It’s pretty simple to boost the signal to your second building as it’s so near - I use one of these for stable block cameras located a good 150m away.

It’s connected to the Bouygues 4G Box wirelessly. But if you prefer, you can connect it using an Ethernet cable but you’ll need one of these as the 4G Box only has one Ethernet socket.

@Linz

Our stone house gave us problems the walls are just too thick
we use a Netgear Wifi Extender 
 and can even get connected across the road !!

No idea if it would work for you
 but got to be worth investigating, I would have thought
Amazon sell them