Macron wins French presidency by decisive margin over Le Pen

2 Likes

Best, best news! Ditch the bitch! Yeah!

5 Likes

Mind you… not all the results have been forwarded to Central Control yet…so, let’s not tempt fate…no chicken-counting please :wink:

2 Likes

In view of the difference, she could not catch up, thank goodness !

1 Like

Stella come on - pour yourself a schooner of Harvey’s Bristol Cream, kick your heels off and start celebrating! Macron just made his acceptance speech! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simon…

It was nerve wracking, here, as there were so many wasted Votes… and so many Le Pen Votes in the beginning… but slowly Macron crept ahead (but only just)… and we had no idea what was happening elsewhere. Nail-biting stuff…

I had to smile… when someone showed us that he had Won, just as we were getting ready to zap our Results to Central Control… :wink:

1 Like

Is this a real vote for change, or are we gping to have same old same old.
A french commentator for the BBC was saying that Le Pen was trying to blame France’s problems when everyone really knows that France is still in the 1970’s.
I hope that Macron can take enough people with him to move France forward in a peaceful way.

1 Like

Jane… what you are seeing is a Vote against Le Pen… not necessarily a Vote for Macron and his ideas.

When you end up with a final choice of 2… out of 11 candidates (all very different)…you are never going to really elect “the peoples’ choice”, just the lesser of 2 evils…:wink:

And in this case the lesser change.

2 Likes

:grinning::clap::clap: :grinning::champagne:

And now the fun starts, he will either pull it off or nothing will change, I think it will all be uphill for him and his new party.

Most neighbours were muttering “plague et pestilence” when talking about the 2 candidates…

so I suppose they will now pin their hopes on the Legislatives in June…to provide the medicine…(but not the cure) :wink:

He is a banker. Anyone that doesn’t think a banker will look after himself and his rich friends is deluded. He is the French equivalent of a Tory.

A Tory who was a minister in a Labour government?

1 Like

He isn’t remotely what you British people would call a Tory, Mme Le Pen fits aspects of Toryism much much better. Please do learn a bit about our politics before succumbing to easy stereotypes and making unfounded comparisons. What we call the centre is a long way to the left of what you call the centre.

5 Likes

I’d have to disagree with your claim that Le Pen is like a Tory as many of her ideas are far too far to the left for any Tory to understand.

Aspects! But yes…

1 Like

Yes indeed, Le Pen would have changed things, immeasurably and dangerously for the worse.

You may well be right, we will have to wait and see. Personally, I’d rather ten bankers than one Le Pen. As has already been mentioned herein, this was a vote “against” Le Pen and not necessarily “for” Macron. However, let’s give the man a chance, he can’t possibly do worse that Hollande has done and he won’t cause rioting in the banlieues, racists attacks and the near destruction of the E.U. that Le Pen would have caused.

Theresa May would understand and appreciate them. She’s certainly a Tory.