Making a table from discarded pallets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGaW2FdKB4

I am currently working on a pallet wall, photos soon

Very nice Carole!

...fabulous, that table looks amazing !!

...I have just used the pallets as they come...making a wonderful seating and table area 'al fresco' ...and all I've done is paint them...once covered with some nice throws and some cushions they look quite chic :) ...

Carole :)![](upload://wtWUsUEfPEp2HowIbcdAhIp9Atq.JPG)

I made a table too out of palettes but literally just sanded 3 palettes down and put two coats of "light oak" varnish on them and placed them on top of eachother and had piece of plexiglass cut to cover the top palette and put a pele-mele of photos underneath (stop the plexiglass from moving by buying some coloured table cloth pinchers - the sort you buy for stopping the wind from blowing away the tablecloth when eating outside!) An original and cheap "modern" table

And to http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/making-table-from-discarded-pallets.html

Ok, genius work, je dois admettre, talent is everywhere here, thank you for sharing

Funny you should say that Kent, I have been experimenting with a blow torch although not to the extent that your guy did. I will though!

Thanks

I was a theatre crapenteer for some 14 years, Shirley: I have a great appreciation of what can be made on a budget of 7s 6d.

A guy I met at 'Campus Festival' showed me a technique using pallets for making furniture that was most interesting; I shall share: he made his stuff glued and screwed together then, once the glue had gone off, he removed the screws, drilled out the holes to 6 to 8 mm and glued in softwood dowels. He then used an 'Arbortech' tool, which goes onto a 4" angle grinder and has teeth like a chainsaw, to shape up/round-off the whole thing. Out came the big propane torch and the piece got a thorough burning. With the sort of softwood used in pallets you get very soft bits of grain and not so soft bits so, with the burning, you get a very profound grain difference which can then be emphasised by wire brushing or the judicious use of a small sandblaster. The effect was very pronounced and most pleasing. Carl used various tinting stages after that to create a bit of variety but that's the basics.

So, James, if you fancy getting the blow-torch out to experiment on the next piece - Go for it, mate! Lotsafun!

Where do you find the time to knock up these things? Do you have a crapentry clone or do you never sleep? Good stuff, anyway. Nice to see things being re-used rather than filling the pockets of Mr Bricolage & co.

Proper job!

I really like that, James!

Today's offering to the pallet gods, found the bit of marble and used an oak off-cut for the top. Had to by the wheels though. All ready for the weather to improve tomorrow!

Not up to James standard(never was good with wood at school) but have cut up a few pallets to make raised veggie beds.

Had the same problem with the nails though-tried crowbar and claw hammer but kept splitting the wood. Going to try making some small off the ground beds for herbs next.

Made a chair to match, this time from old shuttering timber and pallets.

Very pleased with this feature on Inhabitat! http://inhabitat.com/three-unused-shipping-pallets-get-a-new-lease-on-life-as-a-dining-table/

May be time to start thinking of building an ark too!

Brilliant Tony! Have you joined 'The Reclaimers' group yet? http://www.survivefrance.com/group/the-reclaimers

OK, James, here's the kitchen table! Again, the same principle, four bits going down and a![](upload://xgzMh3GxcWfDI98E24kgf4xAxez.JPG) flat bit on top with a bit of beading all around, topped off with tiles. Next week, what I do with the cardboard bit in the middle of toilet rolls! (For some reason, the dining room table photos haven't come out. I will take them again, but the principle's the same, just a bit bigger.) Anyway, the table is over 20 years old and hasn't fallen to bits yet!

Where's Ron Birks when you need him? There's your man...

Good idea Brian, any marketing ideas welcomed too!