Making a table from discarded pallets

Many years ago, I bought a few ornate, turned table legs from a small factory in the East End of London for literally next to nothing (pence) … the owner had them over from a big job that they had finished and was just clearing them to get them out of the way. They were already routed etc. I always thought they would come in handy one day and when I decided to live here permanently in France, I built myself a rather large, dining room table with them with a tiled top. It's quite impressive until everyone discovers that, no, I didn't turn the legs myself; I just put it altogether … at a fraction of the cost of buying a similar dining table in a shop.

Excellent Wayne!

Great Idea, I used Pallets and some old garage doors to make this chicken coop had to buy hinges,some brackets and the roofing but all the rest of the wood was left in the atelier when we bought the house

wish I could just whip up a table. Very nice James. Be watching this space for the next work of art.

That is yummy!

What a clever boy :-)

Super sympa job, James. I'm all in favour of recycling pallets - I use a heap of 'em in the veggie garden - and firewood, of course. The rule around these parts is, if they're obviously left outside of any business on biz estates, then help yourself.

Here's a coffee table I made from decking off-cuts:![](upload://lgSkdlNnNOT2A2gSAWYHE1GKJPC.jpg)

Now where's that off-cut stick to knock the cat off it..?

No plans to come up North I'm afraid :) It's a good idea though!

Absolutely lovely.....I want one!

Um James, I think what you need is a bit of Breton air, do you have any plans to come up this way ? perhaps you could do a workshop on how to 'mackle' as the Cornish say, and then use my pallets here to show how it is done.

Thanks Maria :)

Wow James you should set up a table-making business...I'd buy one!!!!

Looks fabulous…

Excellent rustic feel. The worst bit is getting the bl***y things apart. We have quite a few pallets earmarked for a chicken coop.

Fabulous.

Great job, great idea!

@Helen, each end of the table is for the children, where the piece of wood is calibrated for their shorter legs! :)

Oo's a clever boy then? Looks great!

Thanks Rosie, I have considered it, decided not to though, my carpentry is quite basic!

I did consider the end for feet but decided it was more attractive like that, and it's more stable :)

Well dones James - ever thought of going into business ? The table looks really good.

Ain't that just like a woman! Who cares where you put your feet when sitting at such a superb piece of furniture? It's a thing of beauty AND I am as jealous as hell of your workshop!