No CMU cotisations payable this year

In case anyone missed this on the other thread I posted it on.....

Nice news for those already in the CMU anyway re no cotisations being payable this year.

'Bon à savoir

Si vous étiez redevable de la cotisation au titre de la CMU de base, vous n'avez aucune démarche à effectuer. Vos droits à la prise en charge des frais de santés sont maintenus.
La CMU de base étant supprimée au 1er janvier 2016, aucun appel à cotisation ne sera adressé pour l'année 2016. '

https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/home/espaces-dedies/beneficiaires-de-la-puma-et-de-l/de-la-cmu-de-base-a-la-puma.html

Someone has asked if this is why they haven't received their first two bills for this year :)

Has anybody else noticed they haven't been billed?

This may be a stupid question-but does that mean a double whammy next year? Need to put the money to one side if it does.

It doesn't say that but you could give them a ring or drop them an email asking them to confirm if you'd feel happier.

Not only did I not receive any URSSAF bills in 2016, I haven’t received any so far this year either. Is anyone else in this interesting position of continuing to receive excellent healthcare (I’ve just had 7 months of cancer treatment) without having to pay for it.

CMU cotisations weren’t charged last year because the CMU no longer existed. PUMA cotisations will start this year based upon tax returns but I don’t think they’re until the autumn. You may find you pay much less than under the CMU because only capital income is taken into account, not pension income.

So are the cotisations for PUMA no longer based on one’s revenue fiscal de reference then ?

It’s a lot more complicated than it used to be.
https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/home/espaces-dedies/beneficiaires-de-la-puma-et-de-l/de-la-cmu-de-base-a-la-puma.html

The way I read it is that if you have had pension income you are exempt altogether, although most people say what Debra said above, ie it is just that income that is exempt, which does seem more likely but to me that’s not what the text says. Another thing is that people who get their healthcare via self employment, but whose earned income is below the threshold, and whose unearned income is above the threshold, will be charged extra cotisations. So one way and another, a lot of changes.

It’s only capital income that is above the threshold that is used in the supplementary contribution calculation but I would personally keep some money back just in case they decide that only French pension income is intended to be exempt (French pensioners still pay health contributions from their pension income) and not foreign pension income. Even if they can’t make that distinction because of the way the law is written, there is always the ‘train de vie’ option that can be used to charge supplementary contributions.

Re pension income meaning you are exempt altogether, yes I read it that way too - but I think that may specifically be pension income past the state retirement age rather than early retirement company or private pensions. However, such early retirement pensions are still pension income and so technically aren’t included in the income used to calculate contributions, whereas they were under the CMU.

We really need to keep an eye on it this year and hear how people’s income is treated differently to how it was under the CMU but so far it looks like many may be pleasantly surprised. However many could also be a bit unpleasantly surprised if they live on a high rental income and have their healthcare arrangements covered under a small business with a low turnover and nobody else in the household pays contributions based upon an income above the higher threshold.

1 Like